Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2019, 08:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Well I just looked and I have the PD4590 converter that does have the boost mode button.
Thanks Dan

You’ve helped me way more than I could hope to repay! Glad it’ll work out for you!
Old 12-30-2019, 09:41 PM   #22

I bought a Duracell AGM group 31 battery from Sam's club back in 15. I used it in our 5er we had at that time until we bought our Northpoint in 9/16 and put it in there the day after we bought it. It just completed its 5th season and I've had no issues at all. I know at least once, possible twice, I've forgot to turn off the battery disconnect and totally drained it. I put my battery charger on it and 10A charged it to about 90% and dropped it to a 2A charge and it took about 2 days to get a full charge back in it. Its sitting in my basement on a wood box I made and was brought to full charge down there when I put it away. I'll trickle charge it again in about 3 months just before I put it back in. It's still going strong.. I think the price was like $170 or $180.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:50 PM   #23

Sidebar question

2 x AGM 12 volts or 2 x 6 Volt flooded Golf Cart Batteries??

What are the pros and cons?
I'm on the verge of making a purchase.
Thanks
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #24
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
2 x AGM 12 volts or 2 x 6 Volt flooded Golf Cart Batteries??

What are the pros and cons?
I'm on the verge of making a purchase.
Thanks
More amps with the 6volts so if you dry camp that helps. The only problem comes if one of the 6volt batteries craps out. You then have 6 volts which will not run your 12 volt systems.

If you have the room put as many 12 volt AGM batteries as you can carry. I had three in my toy hauler and dry camping was not a problem especially with the genny to bring them back and I had about the same amperage as 2 6's.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #25
CAG

The other issue is weight of batteries. The 6 volt batteries are heavy and if you have a cramped compartment to put them in it becomes a major back breaker to get them in and out when it comes time for a change. The 12 volts are a little lighter and easier to handle.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
More amps with the 6volts so if you dry camp that helps. The only problem comes if one of the 6volt batteries craps out. You then have 6 volts which will not run your 12 volt systems.

If you have the room put as many 12 volt AMG batteries as you can carry. I had three in my toy hauler and dry camping was not a problem especially with the genny to bring them back and I had about the same amperage as 2 6's.
Mine will store on the A-Frame in basic battery boxes. Overall weight is a concern, because my rig has a bunk-bed/garage in the very front, and that will be packed with miscellaneous detritus from a generator to Weber grill to canopies, chairs, inflatables, and so on. This will increase tongue weight considerably.

So, taking a peek at some options, I see a Duracell group 31 at 105 AH weighs in at 59 pounds, and a Duracell best rated golf cart battery is 235 AH and 68 pounds. So a pair of golf cart batteries in series will deliver about 115 AH and a pair of group 31 AGMs will deliver about 105 AH with about 18 pounds less weight, and seemingly pretty close performance. I, too, like the idea of 12s in parallel if one goes bad. And prices are competitive.

I am installing a 400 watt solar array, and we are in sunny Colorado, so we should be fully charged by sundown every night. 105 AH should be plenty to get through the night. I have some thinking to do.

Thanks for the input!!
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:52 AM   #27

I have the same converter Tom. If I recall it will not properly charge any Lithium battery. You will not have an issue with AGM or standard lead acid.
Jorddarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorddarb View Post
I have the same converter Tom. If I recall it will not properly charge any Lithium battery. You will not have an issue with AGM or standard lead acid.

It’s doing a great job with my Lithium battery so far! I called them to verify before installing.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #29
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
It’s doing a great job with my Lithium battery so far! I called them to verify before installing.
Yes, I think that I read that in some lithium battery research. They will charge with a regular lead-acid charger.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
That is interesting. However, I didn’t say it wouldn’t charge the battery at all. I suggested it wouldn’t properly charge and maintain the battery. I did compare the charge profiles of a lithium battery, battle born, with the voltage the charger was capable of producing across its stages. The converter fell below the recommended charge voltage in all stages of charge even with the boost button pushed. Do you have a SOC battery meter that informs you how “full” your battery is?
Jorddarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorddarb View Post
That is interesting. However, I didn’t say it wouldn’t charge the battery at all. I suggested it wouldn’t properly charge and maintain the battery. I did compare the charge profiles of a lithium battery, battle born, with the voltage the charger was capable of producing across its stages. The converter fell below the recommended charge voltage in all stages of charge even with the boost button pushed. Do you have a SOC battery meter that informs you how “full” your battery is?

I do...last summer was my 1st use with the Battle Born battery on our trip from TX to FL. I traveled from TX to Mississippi running the residential fridge on the single Battle Born battery. When we arrived to stay the night, I pushed the boost button on the converter/charger. I checked the battery in the morning with my meter and it showed 100% charge before departing & continuing on to FL. I wish I had remembered to check what the battery level was when we arrived, but I forgot with my set up procedures and my in-laws staring at me waiting to get in the rig.