Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2020, 10:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patjjensen View Post
Does your new PD supply charge the LiFePO4 batteries to 14.6V? Will this new voltage level conflict with what your tow vehicle charging system requires for it’s baterries?
The PD converter is only active when you are on shore power so should never be on while your tow vehicle is connected.

I have a PD4560K power panel and the replacement lithium converter for it is the PD4560LICSV. You can buy the converter here: https://ltdrvparts.com/PROGRESSIVE-D...D4560LICSV.htm They were great to work with and got it right out to me.

I also have 800 watts of solar with Victron MPPT 150:60 charge controller set to Lithium and that is on while I am towing. I haven't had any problems but honestly hadn't though about the truck charging system. I will have to look at that and might just pull the fuse on the truck and let the solar take care of it.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:33 AM   #22

I am in a class a so I'm not using a tow vech. I am however disconnecting the alternator from charging the battery bank to prevent any possibility from damaging it due to overworking it trying to handle the house batteries.

As I understand the existing 120v converter / charger would work just wouldn't charge the lithium fully. With solar it should top off the batteries the remainder.
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I just replaced my Trojans with Lifeline AGMS after doing lots of research, sure you can find cheaper but they dont last as long, very happy so far. Just make sure you get a true "Deep Cycle" and not deep cycle/start battery.
If youíre getting two, perhaps you should look into 6 volt batteries? I donít personally use but it seems like that would be the way to go. I have a 105 a/h Dexter Exterminator AGM and it works for me. I also invested in a battery tender solar panel that charges and maintains, a Honda 2200i generator, a Hutch Mountain soft start for a/c, a battery charger plug for that generator, and a battery tender shore power charger.
I reckon Iíll be ok! lol
Kiwimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimg View Post
If youíre getting two, perhaps you should look into 6 volt batteries? I donít personally use but it seems like that would be the way to go. I have a 105 a/h Dexter Exterminator AGM and it works for me. I also invested in a battery tender solar panel that charges and maintains, a Honda 2200i generator, a Hutch Mountain soft start for a/c, a battery charger plug for that generator, and a battery tender shore power charger.
I reckon Iíll be ok! lol
How would 2 - 6-volt batteries in series be better than 2 - 12-volt batteries in parallel?

Have you converted your 2200i to run on propane, Hutch Mountain sells the kits and they are very easy to install. Your generator will need a lot less maintenance and run better. You can also run it off of your rig propane.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottenj View Post
The PD converter is only active when you are on shore power so should never be on while your tow vehicle is connected.

I have a PD4560K power panel and the replacement lithium converter for it is the PD4560LICSV. You can buy the converter here: https://ltdrvparts.com/PROGRESSIVE-D...D4560LICSV.htm They were great to work with and got it right out to me.

I also have 800 watts of solar with Victron MPPT 150:60 charge controller set to Lithium and that is on while I am towing. I haven't had any problems but honestly hadn't though about the truck charging system. I will have to look at that and might just pull the fuse on the truck and let the solar take care of it.
Thanks, let me know how you handle it. Iíve got the same power supply as you for my two lithium batteries in my 5th wheel but I havenít installed it as Iíve been concerned about the interaction between my trucks electrical system and the charger/battery.
Patjjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Thanks, let me know how you handle it. Iíve got the same power supply as you for my two lithium batteries in my 5th wheel but I havenít installed it as Iíve been concerned about the interaction between my trucks electrical system and the charger/battery.
Not sure I understand your question.

You said you have the same "power supply" but haven't installed it. Do you mean the Lithium Converter? If you mean the Lithium Converter it only runs when you are on shore power and presumably you never hook up to your tow vehicle while on shore power so there is no issue.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Not sure I understand your question.

You said you have the same "power supply" but haven't installed it. Do you mean the Lithium Converter? If you mean the Lithium Converter it only runs when you are on shore power and presumably you never hook up to your tow vehicle while on shore power so there is no issue.
Agreed. I just want to know how you resolve any issues you might have as a result of charging your batteries with your solar setup while hooked up to your engineís electrical.
Patjjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Agreed. I just want to know how you resolve any issues you might have as a result of charging your batteries with your solar setup while hooked up to your engineís electrical.
Ahh... ok

So far I haven't seen any issues and have been running that way for several months.

I will likely investigate further at some point but I have a bunch of other things on my to-do list in front of it.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:09 PM   #29

Quote:
How would 2 - 6-volt batteries in series be better than 2 - 12-volt batteries in parallel?

Have you converted your 2200i to run on propane, Hutch Mountain sells the kits and they are very easy to install. Your generator will need a lot less maintenance and run better. You can also run it off of your rig propane.
I haven’t, as I was advised against it by the Honda tech. I had the generator in the repair shop for a recall and asked about propane. He said because of the size of the generator it would do more harm than good (he has done them for customers that insisted). I also I didn’t want to lose any power with running the A/C even though I installed the easy start. The Honda’s are very economical to run anyway I guess.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #30

Quote:
I haven’t, as I was advised against it by the Honda tech. I had the generator in the repair shop for a recall and asked about propane. He said because of the size of the generator it would do more harm than good (he has done them for customers that insisted). I also I didn’t want to lose any power with running the A/C even though I installed the easy start. The Honda’s are very economical to run anyway I guess.
As far as two 6 volt batteries running in parallel vs two 12v batteries goes, the six volt batteries can safely go below the 50% discharge that the 12v cannot, essentially giving you about the same amp hours. As I mentioned though, this is my thinking and I could be way wrong! lol
Old 09-24-2020, 03:48 PM   #31

Quote:
I havenít, as I was advised against it by the Honda tech. I had the generator in the repair shop for a recall and asked about propane. He said because of the size of the generator it would do more harm than good (he has done them for customers that insisted). I also I didnít want to lose any power with running the A/C even though I installed the easy start. The Hondaís are very economical to run anyway I guess.
Honda doesn't offer it themselves so the authorized dealers play it down.

When you run one on gas every time it is going to sit for any length of time you have to run it dry and then put in ethanol free gas and flush it through the carburetor to keep the carburetor from getting gummed up. Ethanol is a disaster for small engines! I have had 2 - EU2000i and a EU3000i for over ten years and every fall I am draining, flushing, running them dry, prepping them for winter and it is a big pain. With propane you don't have to do any of that, they run clean all the time. Plus with propane you can run it off the rig propane and don't need to bring gas, and propane never goes bad unlike gas.

I converted an EU2000i to propane and running my 15,000 BTU air conditioner with a MicroAir, the generator was actually throttling down because it didn't need to run hard. Propane may reduce the output but it doesn't seem to reduce it much.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:50 PM   #32

Quote:
As far as two 6 volt batteries running in parallel vs two 12v batteries goes, the six volt batteries can safely go below the 50% discharge that the 12v cannot, essentially giving you about the same amp hours. As I mentioned though, this is my thinking and I could be way wrong! lol
With 2 - 6 volts you run them in series to get 12 volts, with 2 - 12 volts you run them in parallel to get 12 volts. With Lithium batteries you can run them down close to zero either way.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:55 PM   #33

What I have heard from. Victron the batteries should not be charged at a rate higher than 100a.
My alternator in the 2020 precept is 185. Anytime mine is running it can charge.
I dont want to over tax the alternator or hurt the batteries so I plan to remove it from charging the main house bank.
The converter was my other issue. I need to verify what it is and find a lithium friendly upgrade or replacement.
I'm ok with the converter charging almost all the way and let solar top it off...still thinking it thru.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDooley View Post
What I have heard from. Victron the batteries should not be charged at a rate higher than 100a.
My alternator in the 2020 precept is 185. Anytime mine is running it can charge.
I dont want to over tax the alternator or hurt the batteries so I plan to remove it from charging the main house bank.
The converter was my other issue. I need to verify what it is and find a lithium friendly upgrade or replacement.
I'm ok with the converter charging almost all the way and let solar top it off...still thinking it thru.
Battle Born batteries have a maximum 100 amp charge rate but that is for a single battery, I have 3 in parallel so for me up to 300 amps would be OK.

How is your alternator hooked to your battery bank, I am a trailer guy not a Class A guy but I would suspect the wiring will be too small for anywhere near that much current and will have a fuse to protect it.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:26 PM   #35

I'll research this, this weekend.

It would be nice to keep the 2 agms on the factory system (12v) and add the 2 lithium for the 120v system only and have the solar only charge lithium till I get 2 more lithium.

Sorry didnt realize I was on the 5th wheel board. After this thread i will get back to where i belong.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Honda doesn't offer it themselves so the authorized dealers play it down.

When you run one on gas every time it is going to sit for any length of time you have to run it dry and then put in ethanol free gas and flush it through the carburetor to keep the carburetor from getting gummed up. Ethanol is a disaster for small engines! I have had 2 - EU2000i and a EU3000i for over ten years and every fall I am draining, flushing, running them dry, prepping them for winter and it is a big pain. With propane you don't have to do any of that, they run clean all the time. Plus with propane you can run it off the rig propane and don't need to bring gas, and propane never goes bad unlike gas.

I converted an EU2000i to propane and running my 15,000 BTU air conditioner with a MicroAir, the generator was actually throttling down because it didn't need to run hard. Propane may reduce the output but it doesn't seem to reduce it much.
Good to know. I only run mine on ethanol free petrol but I think I’m going to look into the propane now you’ve told me that. Can’t hurt to have the option that’s for sure.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #37

Quote:
Good to know. I only run mine on ethanol free petrol but I think Iím going to look into the propane now youíve told me that. Canít hurt to have the option thatís for sure.
Thatís a nice thing about the conversion, after you do it you can still use gasoline plus now have propane and natural gas as options.
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote