Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2020, 07:14 PM   #1

AGM Battery Recommendations

Hi all...I am looking for a good, reasonably priced AGM RV battery recommendation that will fit inside of 13 inches space (length) for my Jayco Eagle fifth wheel. My preference is 100 AH plus. I will be purchasing two. It’s all I have room for. Any help here would be appreciated....
Whammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:10 PM   #2

Sams Club group 31 agm, if you have the height and width. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #3

I just replaced my Trojans with Lifeline AGMS after doing lots of research, sure you can find cheaper but they dont last as long, very happy so far. Just make sure you get a true "Deep Cycle" and not deep cycle/start battery.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon View Post
Hi all...I am looking for a good, reasonably priced AGM RV battery recommendation that will fit inside of 13 inches space (length) for my Jayco Eagle fifth wheel. My preference is 100 AH plus. I will be purchasing two. It’s all I have room for. Any help here would be appreciated....
I had these for a year:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recently changed them out for Lithium’s, they worked fine but Lithium’s are much better although a lot more money.
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I just replaced my Trojans with Lifeline AGMS after doing lots of research, sure you can find cheaper but they dont last as long, very happy so far. Just make sure you get a true "Deep Cycle" and not deep cycle/start battery.
May I ask why you replaced the Trojans. I have the 6 volt deep cycle T-105.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #6

I also thought about changing to Lithium batteries but I was told that the Jayco inverter and 12v system that was factory installed couldn’t handle Lithium batteries...is that not true? If not, how can it be substantiated?
Old 09-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
May I ask why you replaced the Trojans. I have the 6 volt deep cycle T-105.

I had 4 T105 Trojans and wanted to add 2 more batteries for a total of 6. I wanted to switch to AGM to eliminate watering and had a friend that wanted to buy my 4 Trojans. Trojan does make a 6 volt AGM now but after much research I decided to go with 6 of the Lifeline GPL-4CT 6 volt battery.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #8
CAG

Sams Club

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #9

Hello...based on our current needs, I have pretty much settled on two of these AGM batteries but I’m a little skeptical of some of Amazon’s customer reviews. This brand of battery seems to show up favorably in quite a few “Best Buy” reviews. Although a little pricey, I’m curious if anyone has had the opportunity to use these, and what their thoughts are. Also looking for anyone else’s opinions. Your thoughts will be appreciated..thx

https://www.amazon.com/VMAXTANKS-Vol.../dp/B009MOR58A
Old 09-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #10

I bought one of these at the start if the 2015 season.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...gm/prod3590232

It went in our 40' 5er we had at that time and I pulled it out in 9/16 and installed it in our 44' Northpoint. The Northpoint is harder on it than the previous trailer was. 5 slides compared to 3 and 6 point electric jack leveling system, not to mention the other additional stuff this has. It's finishing up season 6 this year and "still going".
Old 09-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #11

Quote:
I also thought about changing to Lithium batteries but I was told that the Jayco inverter and 12v system that was factory installed couldn’t handle Lithium batteries...is that not true? If not, how can it be substantiated?

Yes and no

Jayco uses Progressive Dynamics Power panels and they have a built in converter that charges the batteries. The converter is designed for lead acid batteries and isn't ideal for Lithium. I put in Battleborn Lithium's and they have a lot of built in protection, Battleborn said that converter won't damage their batteries but what I saw was it never really finishes fully charging them. Progressive Dynamics makes a lithium converter that fits the same power panel and it is an easy swap out so that is what I did.

With AGM batteries you can only discharge them approximately half way without degrading them, they are heavy and once they charge to about 80% charging slows way down. Lithium's can be run down close to 0%, are less than half the weight and charge at full speed until full.

I had 2 - 125Ah AGMs for a total of 250Ah but could only use 125Ah of the power, they weighed 140 pounds and when I charged them off my generator or solar they took forever to finish. I changed to 3 -100Ah lithium and now have 300Ah of usable power (over 2x), they weight 90 pounds and charge much better. On a sunny day it is like having an extra solar panels because I am not throwing away a lot of power.
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Hello...based on our current needs, I have pretty much settled on two of these AGM batteries but I’m a little skeptical of some of Amazon’s customer reviews. This brand of battery seems to show up favorably in quite a few “Best Buy” reviews. Although a little pricey, I’m curious if anyone has had the opportunity to use these, and what their thoughts are. Also looking for anyone else’s opinions. Your thoughts will be appreciated..thx

https://www.amazon.com/VMAXTANKS-Vol.../dp/B009MOR58A
I just replaced one of my Lifeline batteries with a VMAXTANK AGM 125Solar. I've had less than stellar luck with several Lifeline AGMs going bad after 3 years (and having to fight for the pro-rated warranty) so off into the unknown I go. Bought this one direct and also got 10% off as a first time buyer. They are located in Michigan, as am I. I called and asked for an approximate delivery time and they said one day (which it was). VMAX on the phone were very friendly and helpful, so a good start. I have no history to report yet but it's all favorable so far!
JimHanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:18 PM   #13

12v upgrade to 6v, counterintuitive, but great.

Quote:

I just replaced my 2 12v deep cycles with 2 6v AGMs ($550 for the pair, not cheap). 440 AH now rather than 200 AH before. Also added a second cut off at the batteries due to a parasitic drain that has been noted as being the LP sensor which is always hot.
Horizons28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #14

You can also call Battle Born and tell them the model of your converter and they can tell you if it can handle the Litheum. If your converter/controler has a "smart wizard" their is no problem. I have PD3500 series with wizard and Battle Born said I was good and did not have to change out. Because it charges at the correct ranges. Battle Born is very helpful.
Doug k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHanus View Post
I just replaced one of my Lifeline batteries with a VMAXTANK AGM 125Solar. I've had less than stellar luck with several Lifeline AGMs going bad after 3 years (and having to fight for the pro-rated warranty) so off into the unknown I go. Bought this one direct and also got 10% off as a first time buyer. They are located in Michigan, as am I. I called and asked for an approximate delivery time and they said one day (which it was). VMAX on the phone were very friendly and helpful, so a good start. I have no history to report yet but it's all favorable so far!
I had 2 of that exact same VMAX in my unit for a year and they worked fine. I changed them for Lithium for more usable capacity, lower weight and faster charging but the VMAX were fine for what they are supposed to do.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug k View Post
You can also call Battle Born and tell them the model of your converter and they can tell you if it can handle the Litheum. If your converter/controler has a "smart wizard" their is no problem. I have PD3500 series with wizard and Battle Born said I was good and did not have to change out. Because it charges at the correct ranges. Battle Born is very helpful.
You don't have to change the converter but what you will find is the converter never completely charges the batteries. I have a battery minder and can tell percent full for my bank at all times. I swapped out the converter in my PD power panel for their Lithium converter and now they charge all the way, it is a very easy swap out.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizons28 View Post
I just replaced my 2 12v deep cycles with 2 6v AGMs ($550 for the pair, not cheap). 440 AH now rather than 200 AH before. Also added a second cut off at the batteries due to a parasitic drain that has been noted as being the LP sensor which is always hot.
I am not positive of this but pretty sure the brakes are directly connected to the batteries too and it is illegal to have a "cut off" in that circuit.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #18

Good point

Quote:
Not an RV battery but I switched to a lithium on my Harley and the battery tender which came with the unit will not charge or maintain the new battery. Invested in battery mfg lithium tender and zero issues. So I think you may be right in your assumption.
Jim_in_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Jayco will void warranty for electrical related warranty issues. As they told me the installed system is what they tested and what they know work.

Installing lithium will require disconnecting the alternator from charging the lithium bank. Swap out the 120 to 12v converter with one large enough to handle your 12v loads while plugged in. Also one that is lithium friendly and can be adjusted to 14.4 charging. Always check with battery manufacturers reccomendations.

I dont have all the answers but I am learning as I bought a 2020 A back in november 2019.

Studying and bought 600w 24v solar panels, victron 712 moniter, 2 - 100ah battleborn batteries. Victron 100/50 charge controller. To be installed 15 October.

Remember lithium is still 12v

The advantage is each battery is 29 lbs. Vs. 60-70 for flooded cell or agm.

Lead acid should not be drained below 50% capacity to prevent early battery failure.
Also takes longer to recharge to 100%
300 - 600 cycles

Lithium can be charged much faster without damage. 3000 - 5000 cycles

That said generator charge time is shorter.

Lithium will last 8, years in warranty and 2 years more at prorated replacement. Output at 10 years should be at 80%

So 2 6v lead acid or agm 224ah = 112Ah useable
Lithium 100ah= 100ah useable.

At 10 years 80ah useable still beats 50ah for lead.

I dont normally go this far in explaining in a text. I hope you and others get some use of this information. This is a relative new technology to most of us campers and something that will become common place soon.
I am simply sharing what I think I have learned so far. No guarantees is 100% correct and someone will probably find fault with it..Oh Well
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:15 PM   #20

Does your new PD supply charge the LiFePO4 batteries to 14.6V? Will this new voltage level conflict with what your tow vehicle charging system requires for it’s baterries?
Patjjensen is offline   Reply With Quote