Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #1

Air conditioning vent updates. Blow more air!

A few years back our TT was struggling to keep cool in 100 degree temps. I found a thread from someone who fixed the air vents by removing the plastic "ring" and sealing the duct from the roof. We recently purchased a new Eagle 5ver and I decided to do the same upgrade to it. It did come with 2 units, but the main ac seemed to run all day and flow from the vents seemed minimal. After upgrade we have way better air flow and the unit doesn't seem to run as long to keep temperatures down. I will attach pictures. If you have questions, feel free to ask. Thanks! Sorry ... pics got flipped!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1999.jpg   IMG_2004.jpg   IMG_2003.jpg   IMG_2006.jpg   IMG_2007.jpg  

tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #2

Nice job! I did this about 2 years ago and I'm thinking my AC is 20% more efficient. All who have problems with their AC cooling their unit should pay heed to this.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #3

Great info! I pick up my new TT in a couple days and it only has a single AC unit...in Arizona. Saving this for future reference. Thanks!
Freedom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-bone View Post
A few years back our TT was struggling to keep cool in 100 degree temps. I found a thread from someone who fixed the air vents by removing the plastic "ring" and sealing the duct from the roof. We recently purchased a new Eagle 5ver and I decided to do the same upgrade to it. It did come with 2 units, but the main ac seemed to run all day and flow from the vents seemed minimal. After upgrade we have way better air flow and the unit doesn't seem to run as long to keep temperatures down. I will attach pictures. If you have questions, feel free to ask. Thanks! Sorry ... pics got flipped!

This is awesome we use our and it was putting out too much, I would to know all about this? What kind of 3M tape is it and where did you get if from? Is that black rubber around the vent cover did you install it or was it there already? Is this is all I need to do let me know? Also did you did this to all 6 vents?

I forgot how big of cut you did in the 3M tape? Did you put the 3M tape almost up to the top, I guess I'm asking a step by step process?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #5

The A/C in mine I dont have mu h of an issue with since I have 2 A/C units and they are ducted together. However, I did a very similar thing on my heating vents, due to the bunkhouse st the back of the trailer wasnt staying very warm in the cooler weather. I found some shoddy work in the duct run where the hot flex lines connect to it and also blocked off a few vents with heat tape that were close to the furnace. It now blows WAY more cfm in the bunk and warmer too. Also seems more balanced temp throughout the entire trailer.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #6

I haven't used my a/c yet, but I probably will do this to my trailer so when I do use it.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
This is awesome we use our and it was putting out too much, I would to know all about this? What kind of 3M tape is it and where did you get if from? Is that black rubber around the vent cover did you install it or was it there already? Is this is all I need to do let me know? Also did you did this to all 6 vents?

I forgot how big of cut you did in the 3M tape? Did you put the 3M tape almost up to the top, I guess I'm asking a step by step process?
Thats whats know as metal tape. It's used for ducting in venting for hvac systems and when venting the duct for your hood vent over your stove. You should be able to pick it up at any home improvement store.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #8

I use this aluminum tape for several reasons. One is that it doesn't degrade like cloth duct tape. It has enough body to hold it's shape and the glue on it is very good. Not hard to work. I like this Nashua brand, easy to get anywhere or on Amazon.

The aluminum side is impervious to to water so it is a great way to seal holes. Hard for critters eat through also. I cover all the holes on the bottom after I fill with screenwire strips and foam or caulk.

200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:43 PM   #9

Take some time and read through this Thread. Improved my AC unit tremendously.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-67173.html
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:17 PM   #10

I took off one of mine A/C vent cover and I was able to see where they had left part of the foam up inside, wow what shabby workmanship, so I took it out.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #11

So how hard is it to remove the front cover on the a/c?
Old 09-23-2019, 03:42 AM   #12
Site Team

Inside or top? Mine are identical front and back. Coleman/airexel/ Mach 3.

Top is 4 big screws on top of the cover.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #13

Quote:

I bought a roll of aluminum tape at Lowes. The black ring was attached to the vent. I used it to measure my "tape" ring. You have to measure about 1/4 inch or less on the ceiling side, so you don't see the tape when you put the vent back over the hole. You will cut and fold the top the same. You are just sealing the roof space from the actual duct work. That plastic black ring goes up too far in the duct area and cuts down on air flow.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Inside or top? Mine are identical front and back. Coleman/airexel/ Mach 3.

Top is 4 big screws on top of the cover.

Mines is the airexel so I don't remember but can I see them looking at it from underneath or do I have to remove something to get to see the screws?
Old 09-23-2019, 11:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-bone View Post
I bought a roll of aluminum tape at Lowes. The black ring was attached to the vent. I used it to measure my "tape" ring. You have to measure about 1/4 inch or less on the ceiling side, so you don't see the tape when you put the vent back over the hole. You will cut and fold the top the same. You are just sealing the roof space from the actual duct work. That plastic black ring goes up too far in the duct area and cuts down on air flow.

Okay, but I'm missing something here, I did take the vent cover off and see that it had that black ring around it but there is where I get lost. I'm a little slow and my brain is not working today so please forgive me for that.

I guess that what I need to do is to take it off again and see I might be able to get the concept so what is the reason for the aluminum?
Old 09-23-2019, 11:20 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Mines is the airexel so I don't remember but can I see them looking at it from underneath or do I have to remove something to get to see the screws?
If you are wanting to check the inside mounting bolts, take down the filter cover, and you should see a couple more screws besides the four on the corners
of the grill. IIRC there were six, and the inside grill comes down. From there, you can see the four bolts/screws that fasten the A/C to the roof. They compress the roof gasket, but don't overtighten them. If they're loose, you'll know it when you check them.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:25 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Okay, but I'm missing something here, I did take the vent cover off and see that it had that black ring around it but there is where I get lost. I'm a little slow and my brain is not working today so please forgive me for that.

I guess that what I need to do is to take it off again and see I might be able to get the concept so what is the reason for the aluminum?
The tape covers the gap between the lower (inside) ceiling, and the upper layer, which is just under the ducting. There are posts that show the hole where the A/c vent came out of, and with the tape in place. Post #1 shoes what it's going to look like.

There's a sticky in the General RV Chat thread that gives you more insight.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:15 AM   #18

Quote:

Take the black ring off of the vent cover and stick it in the hole flush with the ceiling. You can then look in the hole and see how far up into the duct it goes. If you have plenty of clearance then put it back together and leave it alone. Mine went above the insulation layer about an inch or so. You could actually trim that black ring down but might not get a good seal. Tape fixes any leaks into the roof.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #19

Re worked all my vents, pulled the covers on the units and re worked all the tape flanges in there, also pulled all the floor grills and did the same there. The factory didn't even take the time to vacuum out the sawdust after cutting the holes. Tapped right over the crap it never stuck, poor workmanship. Its an easy enough fix but time consuming to get everything sealed up but makes a huge difference in efficiency. Especially in units like mine that have return air runs as well as distribution runs.
Pinnacle Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #20

Mine only has 5 AC vents in the ceiling. Two were OK, 3 were not. One had the ring only part way into the duct, half was just pushing the duct up, the other half was open to the roof. Took some doing but I cut the duct to fit the ring and then used foil duct tape to seal up the opening. Now ALL of the AC air is going into the ceiling vents and not blowing into the roof.

Geez, I fixed the divider in my AC unit before summer and it made a huge improvement. This should bring the efficiency up to 100%. Now I need to look at my heater registers in the floor. They probably need some fixing as well.

Thanks "tee-bone" for the heads up! Things you learn on this Forum!!
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote