Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #1

Alpha Ply roof material

My new Eagle Touring Edition has the newer alpha ply roof. It is different than what I had on my 2011 Jay Flight. The Jay Flight roof was smooth, but this Alpha Ply is more textured, like the skin of an orange.

My question is this: Can I use eternabond on it in an emergency? And what type of sealant are you supposed to use on it? Dicor?

I just want to be prepared for preventative maintenance and/or emergencies. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
OkieCamperFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #2

I just did exactly that. While installing MaxxAir vent covers I made a 1/4" puncture by carelessly having a screw driver in my back pocket. I used a 2" square of eternabond to patch it. I didn't see any issues with it adhering nor was there any noticeable reacting from the adhesive.

I didn't use any caulking, but I understanding Alpha Systems has a special product. What I have read traditional Dicor caulking supposedly has a chemical reaction to Alpha Ply that causes blistering.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #3

The stuff they put on at the factory looks like regular caulking. I did some touch up work on the roof of my new eagle fifth wheel and just used self-leveling white dicor. Turned out well. It also looks like eternabond or something similar they used on top of the slideouts near the outside edge. I think it's the same alpha material on top of the slideouts, and this eternabond is applied on top of the edge. I think you'd be ok using both eternabond and dicor.
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #4

Camping World tec did a small patch on my 13 Pinnacle and used Dicor and regular roof calk so I would assume it is ok.
pointrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:20 PM   #5

I did some off JOF site internet research and there does seem to be some truth to needing to use the alpha product due to long term incompatibility of traditional sealants.

Ebay is now selling, but shipping was expensive. In the end I bought 2 tubes and paid $22 all in, so $11 a piece, shipped. For the extra $5 I felt it was worth it.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote