Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2024, 05:55 PM   #1

Unhappy Am I looking for frame cracks?

Hello, looking for opinions here, as I think I will need to be looking for some cracks.
Anyway, last year we had the MorRyde Independent Suspension installed on our 2017 29.5 BHDS. On our way home last spring, I noticed some 'sliding' of the seam on the deck on the bedroom/king pin wall. We believed, as it was minor, that possibly the whole body was readjusting to the new set-up.
Last September we went on another trip and while on that trip, and with the RV topped out gross at 10,000 pounds due to taking tools to our son's place and on that trip, we noticed the newly resealed trim sliding out again, and now about a half inch but from the curve forward and not all the way across the front as I've seen in YouTube videos about severe frame 'flex.' Anyone else experienced this with their Jayco HT models???
I did check all I could from the front compartment and found no cracks visible. When the weather gets better, I will be opening that all up to see if I can find any unseen cracks. Any experience or ideas from the group. Due to the age, 2017, even though we are the original owners, I highly doubt Jayco will be of any help. I hope to find the cracks and get it welded before any disaster occurs.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:43 PM   #2

I’m thinking you need to look harder for any cracks. Especially if there is visible difference between set up and ready to travel on the truck. Best wishes. Sometimes spraying water mist will show a crack better.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:14 AM   #3

Frame flex does not mean frame failure or crack. There are measurements from lippert to confirm this. Any steel frame will flex when a load is applied.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 07:35 PM   #4

Is this the same as the lower deck ti sidewall separation that has been discussed on the forum in the past. See following link or search "separation" : https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...hed-88143.html

If it is the same the fix was longer screws. The link above and other links referenced should explain better than I can.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:15 PM   #5

Can you post pics of the area?
Our Pinnacle went back to the dealer 3 times to resolve the trim sealant breaking.on both sides opposite the pinbox, the trim dropped about 1/4". First try they simply removed the screws and reinstalled them at an angle, no good. Second try, a bit longer screws and silicone on the seam, no good. 3rd try I contacted Jayco and had them tell the dealer how to fix before I dropped it off. Longer screws and it's holding after 1 year now.
Frames do flex. We had a older lightweight trail bay 5er that had bedside tables pull away from the front wall on both sides every time we unhitched, and once the tub drain pipe pulled apart in the basement. The front compartment allowed me to see most of the frame, I never found any cracks.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Can you post pics of the area?
Our Pinnacle went back to the dealer 3 times to resolve the trim sealant breaking.on both sides opposite the pinbox, the trim dropped about 1/4". First try they simply removed the screws and reinstalled them at an angle, no good. Second try, a bit longer screws and silicone on the seam, no good. 3rd try I contacted Jayco and had them tell the dealer how to fix before I dropped it off. Longer screws and it's holding after 1 year now.
Frames do flex. We had a older lightweight trail bay 5er that had bedside tables pull away from the front wall on both sides every time we unhitched, and once the tub drain pipe pulled apart in the basement. The front compartment allowed me to see most of the frame, I never found any cracks.

Same for ours. Luckily our dealer was very proactive and they replaced the screws with longer ones. Its been about 16 months and so far so good
Old 02-13-2024, 03:32 PM   #7

About a year or two ago there were several posts on this very topic. Some had hand drawn diagrams ot the fix you are talking about. They were a pretty good visual representation of the cross-section of that area.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:00 PM   #8

We have a 2016 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS and had the same issue. Installing longer screws fixed our issues. For my trailer, I had to go into the aluminum to get them to hold. Hope this helps.
piperinv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017 29.5 bhds, 29.5 bhds, jayco ht