Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #1

Andersen or ???

So, we just signed the deal on a 36FBTS yesterday. It is loaded with everything but washer and dryer and they may be there before my bride is done. My payload keeps dwindling! Our salesman was far more knowledgeable than any other RV salesperson we have spoke to so far, and he owns an Eagle 42' 5th wheel. He vacillated back and forth on the Andersen, saying it had a great reputation, yet he was was noncommittal. The weight thing bothered him . He showed me his Ram 3500 SRW with a Curt hitch, and we played with it. Very nice but almost 200 pounds. I will say he bought the Eagle because of the pin weight, and i am waiting on a similar truck. The Pinnacle is heavier and if the salesperson thinks the Northpoint he really wanted was a bit heavy on the pin weight, it has me concerned. I will not drive a DRW as a regular driver. I need guidance!!
Old 05-25-2021, 05:48 PM   #2

Sorry, this should have been on the 5th wheel section. Not sure how to move it
Old 05-25-2021, 06:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Sorry, this should have been on the 5th wheel section. Not sure how to move it
I'll take care of it for you.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:57 PM   #4

We debated on the Andersen hitch for a long time. Friends of ours have one. But with our short bed F250, we went with a new Superglide auto slide. Makes damn sure we have clearance behind the cab in tight turns and still pulled up nice and close for highway travel and keeps the weight just a bit in front of the axle.

For me, the decision came down to weight at or just in front of the axle for towing and clearance in tight turns. In a short bed truck, a non-moving hitch will only give one OR the other.

We even tried a goose neck adaptor and ended up ripping the top of the box on both sides!! in the first tight turn that was not level.

Again, This was what WE decided on. Just giving our experience. Not trying to knock any brand or type.

All of this experience was with our 2018 F250 6.2 gas, and our Jayco 321RSTS. We traded that truck with the torn up sides, traded up to a one year older with diesel and 3 times the fuel millage.

2017 Ford F250SD Lariat 6.7L Diesel FX4 Crew Cab 6.9 box 4x4

Hitch: Pullrite 2914 20K Superglide Auto slide,
JeffInAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInAZ View Post
We debated on the Andersen hitch for a long time. Friends of ours have one. But with our short bed F250, we went with a new Superglide auto slide. Makes damn sure we have clearance behind the cab in tight turns and still pulled up nice and close for highway travel and keeps the weight just a bit in front of the axle.

For me, the decision came down to weight at or just in front of the axle for towing and clearance in tight turns. In a short bed truck, a non-moving hitch will only give one OR the other.

We even tried a goose neck adaptor and ended up ripping the top of the box on both sides!! in the first tight turn that was not level.

Again, This was what WE decided on. Just giving our experience. Not trying to knock any brand or type.

All of this experience was with our 2018 F250 6.2 gas, and our Jayco 321RSTS. We traded that truck with the torn up sides, traded up to a one year older with diesel and 3 times the fuel millage.

I need to get pictures, but my pinbox ate my tailgate this weekend. It was really steep getting out of the campsite. The Anderson makes almost any fiver towable in a short bed in the rear position, but at the cost of rails and tailgate.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:41 AM   #6

I decided at the last minute to go with the regular, or long bed, for the new truck, so it shouldn't be an issue. It seems folks are very passionate either for or against the Andersen, and trying to hear all your opinions. I won't need a hitch until Mid July at the earliest.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:07 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
I need to get pictures, but my pinbox ate my tailgate this weekend. It was really steep getting out of the campsite. The Anderson makes almost any fiver towable in a short bed in the rear position, but at the cost of rails and tailgate.
Sure sorry to hear that but I would like to see your damage pictures. We have the same setup and I have been very careful negotiating some hairy turns but have not had even a near miss. Did you make a sharp turn while in that steep pull ?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Sure sorry to hear that but I would like to see your damage pictures. We have the same setup and I have been very careful negotiating some hairy turns but have not had even a near miss. Did you make a sharp while in that steep pull ?
Just reading on the Andersen site about the adapter plate needed with the MoRyde box. Do you have it and was it a complicated install? Thanks
Old 05-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Sure sorry to hear that but I would like to see your damage pictures. We have the same setup and I have been very careful negotiating some hairy turns but have not had even a near miss. Did you make a sharp while in that steep pull ?

Ask and ye shall receive. There was a turn, but not too sharp. I swung it as wide and gentle as I could. It bent the bottom of the pin box too, but not enough to see on camera. I’ve always thought the ears hung down way too much, but hadn’t gotten around to cutting them down. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9170.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	71798
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9168.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	71797
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9169.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	71799
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #10
CAG

I have added to these Andersen threads a time or two and feel like I need to jump in here again.

1. I had two short bed Duramax trucks. I used the Andersen on both, never connected the 5th wheel with the back of the cab and in some pretty tight turns.

2. I loved the fact that I could load and unload the Andersen myself and not have to have the neighbor come help me with some 250 lb hitch.

3. My truck bed was open and available for use without some crappy hitch restricting the space back there when not RVing.

You need to determine which configuration you want to be in when you set the pin, and receiver up. You can have enough room to completely jack-knife if you want and with my set up there was never a danger of hitting any part of the truck with the front cap.

Those that say you need a slider, well, you might if you have a "square" front cap but the Heartland RV that I had claimed an 88 degree turn, and with the Andersen, I could do a total jackknife if I had wanted to.

My RV was a 14K Toyhauler and I never once worried about weights, hookups etc.

If you have doubts call Andersen. They are more than willing to help with info.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:24 PM   #11

I have an auh. I used it for 2 yrs with a 2500 short bed duramax. Never had an issue with it. Easy to hook up and unhook. Takes about 5 minutes to remove. I now use it in a 3500 ram dually and have never had any issues with it also. Only draw back would be that you have to have a goose neck ball in the bed. Great hitch.
Benandtina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Just reading on the Andersen site about the adapter plate needed with the MoRyde box. Do you have it and was it a complicated install? Thanks
I read about it and decided to not add it because no one at MorRyde or Anderson could tell me it's purpose. So far I can't tell any difference in operation.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #13

Yep, I would agree with norty1, I have the PullRite SuperLite #2600 which is similar to the AUH I have been using it now for little over a year now I didn't get that plate.

Never had any problem towing with it, in the matter of fact it run very well.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:38 PM   #14

We had our dealer install a Reese Goose Box on ours. It works well with our long bed and is approved by Lippert for use on their frames. I know I have said this before but it gives us the smoothest riding, best handling rig we have ever owned. This is fifth wheel number 6 for us and too many trucks to count. I really like removing a 5 or so pound ball and having use of my full bed.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
We had our dealer install a Reese Goose Box on ours. It works well with our long bed and is approved by Lippert for use on their frames. I know I have said this before but it gives us the smoothest riding, best handling rig we have ever owned. This is fifth wheel number 6 for us and too many trucks to count. I really like removing a 5 or so pound ball and having use of my full bed.

I look at getting one before I bought my pullrite #2600 and now I wish I would have went that way maybe next 5th wheel we get.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:04 AM   #16

Quote:
I read about it and decided to not add it because no one at MorRyde or Anderson could tell me it's purpose. So far I can't tell any difference in operation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Yep, I would agree with norty1, I have the PullRite SuperLite #2600 which is similar to the AUH I have been using it now for little over a year now I didn't get that plate.

Never had any problem towing with it, in the matter of fact it run very well.
Thank You, interesting that even MorRyde can't tell you why they require it
Old 05-31-2021, 10:11 AM   #17

Call Lippert and ask if using an Andersen hitch voids the frame warranty. The answer will be yes. But call and verify with Lippert for whatever hitch you install. Could save you a lot of heartache.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:21 AM   #18

Oh this whole "frame no longer warrantied due to use of Andersen" thing really annoys me... .and it won't be long before there is a law suit.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was written specifically for things like this. You can't void an ENTIRE frame warranty simply due to the usage of a certain product without PROVING said product caused the warranty issue at hand. Meaning, if you have a frame problem above the axles, Lippert would have to prove the Andersen hitch caused that failure. Which, it wouldn't.

Now, if Lippert wanted to prove the Andersen Ultimate caused tear-out on the pin box around the king pin, sure, that could be proven and in turn, could void the warranty of the PIN BOX ONLY.

This will be a long hard battle - but I guarantee if you void a few frame warranties and ONE of them happens to be owned by a lawyer, this is bound to end up in Class Action Lawsuit court, and Lippert will lose - and thus will have to start PROVING that any frame damage was caused by the hitch.

To top it off, the "we'll warranty the goose box (which we make) usage, blah blah blah, will only harm Lippert.

Do note, the above is only my opinion - but the Magunuson-Moss Warranty act is factual. And whenever I've had a manufacturer try and tell me that I can't install aftermarket parts as it will void my warranty, I mention this Warranty Act and that they will have to prove the warranted failure was caused by my aftermarket part and that they will be paying all lawyer and court costs as well if proven wrong.... the dealer stops talking.

I'll keep using my AUH - it does what I need - and does it well.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:38 PM   #19

I'm using the PullRite Superlite hitch #2600 and love it, in all of my times towing I haven't seen where their have been a problem so I don't worry about it.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #20

Well, your Jayco frame manufacture does not warranty any frame damage if you use the Anderson Ultimate Hitch to tow with. Also, it is proven by physics that placing the AUH in the rear position to gain trailer/cab clearance actually actually increases truck bed weight over a conv slider hitch.. There are a lot of horrible stores so make your decision wisely.. I have the 321RSTS and tow with an auto slide hitch and easily can get into 90 degrees. Do your homework,, and BTW - Don't trust Andeson's warranty that supposedly offsets trailer frame warranty. It may take a few days in court to prove anything.. it's more of a sales gimmick than anything,.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote