Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
A ball is a ball. It can break no matter where it is. Chains are so cheap. Takes 10 mins to install and 30 secs to hookup.
So this statement really scares me. If the ball on the andersen breaks the trailer will hit the bed of the pickup and the hitch may punch up into the trailer itself.

On my current hitch I have a bedsaver, so even if the hitch somehow comes unlatched (or if I screw up the hitching) the trailer will be 'caught' with no bed damage.

I figured that with the ball and socket the chances of a hitch coming loose would be near zero.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
So this statement really scares me. If the ball on the andersen breaks the trailer will hit the bed of the pickup.
The ball will not fail. Have you ever heard of a broken trailer ball?

I have a 3rd cousin (??) In Finland that owns a trailer hitch ball manufacturing plant. I do not recall the details, bit he said the are forged, and are extremely tough, and durable.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #63

I'm not going to say never and I'm not going to think the sky's falling every time I use my Andersen. I doubt a ball would ever break on it's own. However something like a rear end collision on my 5ers rear could push the ball to it's limit and snap it. If I have chains then the 5er would stay somewhat connected to my truck. Without chains it could roll into oncoming traffic or even into innocent bystanders.
While I highly doubt either of those scenarios will happen, it's just not that big of a deal to snap two chains.
We can't pick when or how we may ever get into an accident. it's easy to sit in your truck and assume that you could make some kind of a maneuver to avoid a wreck.
If it were that easy then why have auto ins?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #64

I had never heard of a ball breaking either. That's why the statement surprised me.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:14 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
Just purchased my aluminum Andersen hitch off Amazon.com - came with safety chains too! I will say that I ran into some dumb luck as the aluminum block coupler was borked - King Pin hole was too small. I could have returned/exchanged it but I was on a deadline, so I had a local metal shop bore the hole out 30/1000's of an inch to make it fit. Took all of 15 minutes to crank down the bolts and get it hooked up. I really love the simplicity of this hitch. It fits right over our B&W turnover ball. When we have the bolts cranked down, it puts direct pressure on the ball, so it's near impossible to unlatch and walk off with. I've opted for a cable lock for the bed for safe keeping. Otherwise you can unbolt and lift it out like there's nothing to it. Very impressed on how easy it is to work with. Glad we did this instead of a typical 5th wheel hitch.
packerbacker, how is your height/clearance with your 2017 F250?

Could you of done the 6.75 bed?
dksmith17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksmith17 View Post
packerbacker, how is your height/clearance with your 2017 F250?

Could you of done the 6.75 bed?
When I back up the truck to attach the 5th wheel, I have to raise the 5'r to just over the hitch ball height. After it's attached, the truck sags about 2" loaded. I've got about 8" of clearance between the bottom of the nose and the top of my bed rails and the 5'r sits level. You'd be hard pressed to manipulate the truck enough to touch anything. Regarding the length of the bed - I'm new to all this so I'm very happy I have an 8' bed vs. the standard 7' bed. I think you could still get away with it on a shorter bed you just have less wiggle room for sharp turns. I managed to loop my trailer brake too tight and when I backed it up to park it, I popped it out - locking the brakes. Took me a few minutes to figure out what I'd done but no harm, no foul - lesson learned.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:07 AM   #67

Thought I revive a sometimes controversial subject.. Andersen vs conventional.

I've read many reviews by people who've had an older FW hitch with the just the slider bar, or those who've never used a standard hitch saying how wonderful it is, but I'm looking for some input from anyone who's used a newish double jaw type hitch and then made the switch.

Also, anyone with a late model Eagle HT, and later model Chevy 3/4 or 1 ton with the 6.5" bed. How's the clearance from pin box to tailgate or side bed rails. Not height, but laterally.

I'm interested in this setup for two reasons. Number one is reduced chucking, and number 2 is being able to easily clear the bed. Trying to determine if my money is better spent on one of these or a Morryde pin box(to reduce chucking).

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #68

I have used a B&W Patriot (Still have) and the Andersen with a Ram 2500 CTD and a 9000 lbs 5th wheel.
Zero difference in towing. Same roads, same mild chucking, same quiet tow.
Two biggest differences are that the B&W weighs considerably more and that the Andersen takes longer to hitch and unhitch.
Unless you have a POS 5th hitch right now then the tow you get with the Andersen will be the same as any new better quality 5th hitch.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Unless you have a POS 5th hitch right now then the tow you get with the Andersen will be the same as any new better quality 5th hitch.
Goducks - Something to consider... if you look at a typical king pin, it's about a 3" cylinder with a groove cut out around the bottom where the 5th wheel hitch locks on to it. Andersen uses an aluminum coupler block that attaches to the king pin to connect to the Andersen ultimate hitch. The difference being the ball and joint type connection. I think most people would consider this a superior option as the weight of the trailer sits on the ball and floats around the ball vs. rotating in a locked position on a 5th wheel hitch. Plus - I've yet to experience any chucking.

The primary reason for me getting an Andersen was the cost/weight/ease of install/removal. I love a nice clean bed when I'm not hauling my 5'r around!
Old 08-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #70

My B&W hitch rotates 4 ways. Not articulating like a ball coupler type connection though, but still allows fore/aft and side tilt. Like I said I towed with the B&W for 4 seasons and just at the end of last season did I purchase an Andersen. I notice absolutely no difference in how the 5th wheel feels behind the truck. I just put over 2,000 miles on the Andersen in the last 5 weeks. I'm completely happy with it but it's not the Holy Grail of 5th hitches like some would have some believe. I also consider the B&W Patriot to be one of the finer 5th hitches as far as how they operate. I got the Andersen simply for the weigh difference. I got tired of lifting the B&W base out and in of my truck. @64 years young it's not as easy as it used to be.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #71

Thanks for the input. I'll keep working with what I have a bit longer. Still, this Andersen intrigues me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #72

Hello, are you running the B&W turnover hitch with the Anderson? Reason I ask is the local hitch installer mentioned that B&W does not recommend using the Anderson with their FW hitches. I assume they want to sell a B&W Companion hitch instead.
Walterlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #73

I have been using the B&W turn over hitch with the Andersen Ultimate for a couple of years, on two different trucks without any pronlems.
davisenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisenvy View Post
I have been using the B&W turn over hitch with the Andersen Ultimate for a couple of years, on two different trucks without any pronlems.
Same Here. 4 Years, no problems!
Old 01-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #75

B&W with Andersen Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterlynn View Post
Hello, are you running the B&W turnover hitch with the Anderson? Reason I ask is the local hitch installer mentioned that B&W does not recommend using the Anderson with their FW hitches. I assume they want to sell a B&W Companion hitch instead.
@Walterlynn - Our setup is relatively new (<1yr) but we haven't had any issues with our B&W Turnover Ball hitch and our Andersen Ultimate Hitch (Aluminum) with our 10K 5th wheel. No bucking, chucking, nothing. I'm really glad we went with that option as I'm not keen on having rails in the bed eating up space or the idea of dismantling a 200LB hitch and taking it in/out of the bed.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by twadd10 View Post
It moves it back towards the tailgate a few inches, but with there design I'm not sure how much weight is actually shifted back.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
@twadd10 - The Andersen hitch is offset a few inches with the hitch ball towards the tailgate. I suspect my B&W Turnover Ball is installed just in front of the rear axle. With the Andersen, it distributes the weight over the top of the rear axle. I've got an 8' bed, so I've already got lots of clearance but I'm sure this'll help with shorter beds.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #77

Andersen hitch

I upgraded from a plate n pin, Curt, TOO heavy to take in and out.
Bought the safety chains as well and modified them with a bicycle inner tube to reduce rattle and chafing.
Attached Thumbnails
20171218_114932_resized_2.jpg  
igofishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:45 AM   #78

Curt 4" offset gooseneck ball

We just purchased a 2017 chevy 3500hd srw crew cab diesel. Also we are trying a Andersen ultimate 2 hitch. Has anyone tried a 4" offset gooseneck ball with the adapter placed behind the kingpin for side rail clearance on the bed sides and cab clearance we are towing a north point 377rlbh.
Chevytech12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #79

4" offset ball

I use the 4" offset ball with the adapter towards the rear and it works great. I was a little concerned with clearance (probably didn't need to be) so I saw this as a good solution. If you do get it, you will probably need to talk to Anderson to get a shorter tube. Might work for your Chevy, but didnt for my RAM. After I got the shorter tube it works great and gives me peace of mind on clearance.
bhop83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #80

Chevytech12 and bhop83 welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote