Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #1

Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch

So I've been reading reviews all over the web about these hitches, I found a couple old post here about them. Just wanted to ask here a few years later what people thought about them, pros ,cons, real life experience. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
twadd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twadd10 View Post
So I've been reading reviews all over the web about these hitches, I found a couple old post here about them. Just wanted to ask here a few years later what people thought about them, pros ,cons, real life experience. Thanks!

Old 07-02-2017, 07:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twadd10 View Post

That picture kind of describes something I haven't understood about these hitches. It looks like they have to be offset to the front side or the back side. Seems like that would put a lot more weight on that side of the hitch where it sits on the bed, than it does the other 3 sides. Instead of the weight being centered all the way around.

We will eventually get a 336fbok so I've looked into all kids of hitches. I've asked questions about the goosebox pinbox and stared at the anderson on here trying to keep from putting a 200 pound hitch in the bed of my truck and in my way all the time. Wanting to use something with a B&W turnover ball.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:17 AM   #4

I use one. However I cannot compare to a 5th wheel as I never used a 5th wheel. Very easy setup and removal. The offset is installed front to rear rather than left to right. There are a few Youtube demos that will help you understand. I really like it. I take it out after my trips and store it in one of my large basement compartments. What questions do you have?
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
That picture kind of describes something I haven't understood about these hitches. It looks like they have to be offset to the front side or the back side. Seems like that would put a lot more weight on that side of the hitch where it sits on the bed, than it does the other 3 sides. Instead of the weight being centered all the way around.

We will eventually get a 336fbok so I've looked into all kids of hitches. I've asked questions about the goosebox pinbox and stared at the anderson on here trying to keep from putting a 200 pound hitch in the bed of my truck and in my way all the time. Wanting to use something with a B&W turnover ball.
It moves it back towards the tailgate a few inches, but with there design I'm not sure how much weight is actually shifted back.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
I use one. However I cannot compare to a 5th wheel as I never used a 5th wheel. Very easy setup and removal. What questions do you have?
Yeah I was wondering how it compares to a conventional 5th wheel hitch, but you haven't used one, so how does it feel towing, backing, had any issues with anything? The ease of install and removing is what's pulling me in. I currently has a Curt Q24 that weights a ton!

Old 07-02-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
Site Team

Wait. One says front other says back. I'm confused?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Wait. One says front other says back. I'm confused?

Old 07-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #9

I see now, I guess I haven't seen that pic before.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #10

I am told that there is less "chucking" with the Andersen. I am not sure what "less" means but I don't feel much of the back and forth bumping some 5th wheel users experience. There are no safety chains associated with the hitch. I suppose one could modify for them. The aluminum option is feather light. I think 40lbs. Top hitch ball is drilled with 3 holes so you can adjust trailer height. I attached brake switch cable same as photo above. No issues at all. (So far)
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
I am told that there is less "chucking" with the Andersen. I am not sure what "less" means but I don't feel much of the back and forth bumping some 5th wheel users experience. There are no safety chains associated with the hitch. I suppose one could modify for them. The aluminum option is feather light. I think 40lbs. Top hitch ball is drilled with 3 holes so you can adjust trailer height. I attached brake switch cable same as photo above. No issues at all. (So far)

Andersen offers a safety chain kit that you can add. The kit includes a couple of eye bolts that replace the two bolts holding the adapter to the king pin, and a couple of nice chains with snap hooks.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:56 AM   #12

I have used mine for three years, really like the hitch. Haven't found any issues yet.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #13

These are bulletproof hitches. Well designed, light yet extremely strong, and no chucking at all. Combine this with airbags and you have the best setup available. I have tried quite a few...nothing compares to its simplicity and low maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Bigpuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #14

Had mine for 5 years, steel version as the aluminum wasn't available yet. I might as well be a salesman for them because I convert people at every park I stay at when they watch me clear my bed in less than 5 minutes by myself, without breaking a sweat. I can't justify buying the aluminum one since there's nothing wrong with mine but I can only imagine how much lighter it is. The steel one is about 60lbs I believe, doesn't feel like it because it's rather easy to handle. No greasing, no chucking and no clanking at stops at half the price and twice the convenience. What more do you need?! I've got a short bed truck and have taken it 90deg with room to spare, so people who think they HAVE to have a slider are misled, this is the ultimate option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #15

Thanks guys! That's the kinda input I'm looking for.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansbass1 View Post
Had mine for 5 years, steel version as the aluminum wasn't available yet. I might as well be a salesman for them because I convert people at every park I stay at when they watch me clear my bed in less than 5 minutes by myself, without breaking a sweat. I can't justify buying the aluminum one since there's nothing wrong with mine but I can only imagine how much lighter it is. The steel one is about 60lbs I believe, doesn't feel like it because it's rather easy to handle. No greasing, no chucking and no clanking at stops at half the price and twice the convenience. What more do you need?! I've got a short bed truck and have taken it 90deg with room to spare, so people who think they HAVE to have a slider are misled, this is the ultimate option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info and especially thanks for your sig so we know what you're pulling with the anderson and what tow vehicle you have it in. I think those things matter.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:04 AM   #17

I've been using mine for almost 2 years. There is absolutely now chucking, or clanking when stopping or taking off. Super easy to take out and put back in. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 and I can take it 90 degrees when needed with about 8 inches to spare. I did have to turn the block on the kingpin around to where the coupler is at the back to allow enough distance from my tailgate. I've been scouring Craigslist for the Aluminum one. The prices seem to keep going up on these. I paid $500 for mine new a couple of years ago. I won't use anything else.
davisenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #18

I just saw one on CList for $100, but it looked pretty old.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #19

I've noticed that several are using the ultimate fifth wheel connection with a cushioned pin box. I just want to point out that when I bought my ultimate fifth wheel connection 3 years ago, I asked Anderson about using it with various cushioned pin boxes. Their statement to me was that the ultimate fifth wheel connection performs best with a solid pin box, and that they don't recommend using any of the various cushioned pin boxes with their product.

I've got zero complaints with my Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection. I love it.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #20

Like Etex211 says , my aluminum style works fine without the airbag pin box. However I have seen something online by Andersen & rv is using like a Morryde box.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote