Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Yeah, I wanted to get the Andersen hitch first but after I was searching MorRyde and Andersen Co. recommends me getting the upgraded reinforcement plate, which would have cost another $215 plus install so I went with the Pullrite. As far as debris getting inside of the funnel I have a hard cover on my bed, so no worry there I'm also is in WA but I choice to use them, it's no big deal to use them. Be safe.

Roger.

Here’s my safety chain setup.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2176.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	57737
Hooks on both ends so I don’t have to leave them dangling from my pinbox.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #42

Quote:
Yeah, I wanted to get the Andersen hitch first but after I was searching MorRyde and Andersen Co. recommends me getting the upgraded reinforcement plate, which would have cost another $215 plus install so I went with the Pullrite. As far as debris getting inside of the funnel I have a hard cover on my bed, so no worry there I'm also is in WA but I choice to use them, it's no big deal to use them. Be safe.
Actually it is only Morryde that recommends the reinforcement plate, not Andersen. It was an Andersen tech that told me that. He also said they have not heard of any issues with those that have a Morryde and an Ultimate hitch. It is to prevent side to side rocking movement so the rubber isolator isn't stressed. I may get one down the road, but it's not high on my priority list.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciollika View Post
Roger.

Here’s my safety chain setup.
Attachment 57737
Hooks on both ends so I don’t have to leave them dangling from my pinbox.

Okay, what kind of wrap is that I think that is a good ideal? I see that you are just a rock throw away from me.

Oh I went back and see that you put a nylon sheath around them, where did and how did you make them?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
Actually it is only Morryde that recommends the reinforcement plate, not Andersen. It was an Andersen tech that told me that. He also said they have not heard of any issues with those that have a Morryde and an Ultimate hitch. It is to prevent side to side rocking movement so the rubber isolator isn't stressed. I may get one down the road, but it's not high on my priority list.

Got it, I think if I had known this before hand I would have probably have gone with the AUH, oh well, the one I have is good.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:23 PM   #45

Quote:
Okay, what kind of wrap is that I think that is a good ideal? I see that you are just a rock throw away from me.

Oh I went back and see that you put a nylon sheath around them, where did and how did you make them?

I used 1.5” nylon sheath and some zip ties at the ends

Electriduct 1.5" Nylon Protective Hose Sleeve - 10 Feet - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G5NP3KR..._7X8KEbQC8K6JM
Old 04-12-2020, 08:32 PM   #46

Got it, I put it in my save list for now until I put up my 6th wheel later this month, it's getting some warranty work done, thank you.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #47

If you have a MORryde Hitch Box and want to use the Anderson Ultimate Hitch you need to change the skid plate to a heavy duty version. (Around $215 plus labor) And at the end of the installation instructions on the MORryde site there is caution and warning notes about using a bolt on adapter on the king pin, including some fairly strong language about voiding the warranty if anything goes wrong. They want the adapter to be welded on. I was very disappointed because I felt the Anderson hitch was a brilliant design. I also wasn’t comfortable changing the skid plate out myself, when you take that skid plate off some of the guts are going to fall out, it would be like solving the rubic cube to get them back in the correct order. (At least for me) In my opinion the MORryde should have come from the factory with a heavier skid plate. But other than that I think it is a good hitch box. In the end I decided to go with a B & W companion hitch. Yes they are heavy, but they are rock solid. I have a heavy truck (3500 Ram HO w/ 4.10 ratio, and a heavy RV (Pinnacle), so it made sense to have a heavy hitch. I really struggled with the decision because I really liked the Anderson Hitch. But in the end, if my life hangs in the balance, I will chose steel over Aluminum and / or alloy aluminum every time. The B&W comes off in two pieces which helps, but the base still weighs 140 pounds, at my age that is a two man lift. I can deal with that.
CJ68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:06 PM   #48

I forgot to mention, when I called MORryde, an engineer told me “they went to the heavy duty skid plate because there were some, failures when using with the Anderson Hitch”.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ68 View Post
If you have a MORryde Hitch Box and want to use the Anderson Ultimate Hitch you need to change the skid plate to a heavy duty version. (Around $215 plus labor) And at the end of the installation instructions on the MORryde site there is caution and warning notes about using a bolt on adapter on the king pin, including some fairly strong language about voiding the warranty if anything goes wrong. They want the adapter to be welded on. I was very disappointed because I felt the Anderson hitch was a brilliant design. I also wasn’t comfortable changing the skid plate out myself, when you take that skid plate off some of the guts are going to fall out, it would be like solving the rubic cube to get them back in the correct order. (At least for me) In my opinion the MORryde should have come from the factory with a heavier skid plate. But other than that I think it is a good hitch box. In the end I decided to go with a B & W companion hitch. Yes they are heavy, but they are rock solid. I have a heavy truck (3500 Ram HO w/ 4.10 ratio, and a heavy RV (Pinnacle), so it made sense to have a heavy hitch. I really struggled with the decision because I really liked the Anderson Hitch. But in the end, if my life hangs in the balance, I will chose steel over Aluminum and / or alloy aluminum every time. The B&W comes off in two pieces which helps, but the base still weighs 140 pounds, at my age that is a two man lift. I can deal with that.
I have yet to see anyone have issues with their pin box using an Andersen adapter, nor have they unless it was in an accident of some kind. As far as the Morryde plate, the only reason for it is the possibility of the side to side rocking movement tearing the rubber isolator. Again, I have heard of no such stories and neither has Andersen when I talked to their tech about it.

I may eventually change to the other Morryde base, but it's not high on my priority list. Along with thousands of others, I will keep my Ultimate because I love it and hang it on the wall by myself when I don't need it. I use to wrestle with a big 'ol heavy Husky slider and it was a back breaker, no more.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:28 PM   #50

I talked with a Moryde engineer last summer at a Jayco seminar and said there was no issue with the Anderson or Pulrite hitch
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:01 PM   #51

I spoke with the MORryde engineer last week. And did you guys read the instructions, cautions, and warnings on the MORryde website ? Just saying, I did not just make up this story. I can’t remember the Engineers name who called me back. I did get the feeling it was mostly a CYA kind of thing. But she did say “there were some failures” of the skid plate. After I thought about it, I thought they should give you the plate for free if there is a chance the original plate could fail. That seems reasonable to me.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:16 PM   #52

When I called Morryde, they just said they recommend the other plate. She didn't try to put any fear in me that it is a life threatening problem if I don't swap it. Andersen told me Morryde was having issues with guys running gooseneck adapters so recommend them for the Andersens too. I would think goosenecks adapters have a lot more leverage on them because of the length.

But whatever, until I see numerous failures on the internet which I seriously doubt I will at this point, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. The ease of use, quietness and lightweight of the Ultimate far outweigh any ultra slim chance of catastrophic failure. Even if the isolator did fail, it's not going anywhere because the horizontal bolts holding the pin box together.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
I have yet to see anyone have issues with their pin box using an Andersen adapter, nor have they unless it was in an accident of some kind. As far as the Morryde plate, the only reason for it is the possibility of the side to side rocking movement tearing the rubber isolator. Again, I have heard of no such stories and neither has Andersen when I talked to their tech about it.

I may eventually change to the other Morryde base, but it's not high on my priority list. Along with thousands of others, I will keep my Ultimate because I love it and hang it on the wall by myself when I don't need it. I use to wrestle with a big 'ol heavy Husky slider and it was a back breaker, no more.

Same here, in all of my searching but I bought my hitch I have never heard of any problem, it almost makes me think that they want more money out of you but that's me.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:02 PM   #54

Quote:
I spoke with the MORryde engineer last week. And did you guys read the instructions, cautions, and warnings on the MORryde website ? Just saying, I did not just make up this story. I can’t remember the Engineers name who called me back. I did get the feeling it was mostly a CYA kind of thing. But she did say “there were some failures” of the skid plate. After I thought about it, I thought they should give you the plate for free if there is a chance the original plate could fail. That seems reasonable to me.

Hmmm, we are not saying that the Engineers don't know what they are talking about but I would watch the plate and looking at the plate to me it's pretty solid, I have never heard of any issue.

When I was looking they said that it was recommended not a must but that's me saying that not them. I have search many other forums, trucks, rv, forum and those that have the AUH love them, looking back I kind of wish that I would have bought one.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:22 PM   #55

Look, I just came across this post and since I just went thru this over the past couple weeks I just thought I would add exactly what I found. Everyone has a right to do whatever they want. Everyone’s situation might be a little different. I did what I thought was best for me. I want to encourage everyone else to do what they think is best for them. I did in fact talk to an Engineer at MORryde and the instructions, cautions, and warnings do exist. (If I knew how to copy and paste them I would do so) Why they said and did these things I don’t know. I to, don’t personally know anyone who has had a problem. I just didn’t think I should ignore what I was told, and it was very difficult for me to modify my hitch box per their instructions, with my RV being stored 500 miles from my home. And there is no way I was going to weld that adapter to the hitch box as MORryde suggested. And if you don’t believe me, please go their website, click on the heavy duty skid plate instructions, and read it for yourself. And don’t miss the caution statement highlighted in yellow, and the warning statement highlighted in red at the very end. Then decide what works best for you. I wish you the best with whatever you decide.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:44 PM   #56

The warning on their web site is for GOOSENECK ADAPTERS The Anderson and Pulrite are not gooseneck adapters
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:56 PM   #57

Ok, that is good. I thought they were adapters. I guess I was confused because they put the statement with the skid plate instructions pertaining to the Anderson Hitch. My mistake !
Old 04-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #58

Quote:
Ok, that is good. I thought they were adapters. I guess I was confused because they put the statement with the skid plate instructions pertaining to the Anderson Hitch. My mistake !

From memory, they "recommend" their other skid plate. But either way it's not a game changer to keep me from having an Andersen. Like I said earlier, even if the isolator splits it's not going to cause any catastrophic problem since the pin box is still bolted to the plate. The extra couple hundred bucks for the other plate would still make it worth it over messing with a 200 lb hitch. At least to this 67 year old with a back that wants to screw with me.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:22 AM   #59

Yep, same here SeventyGTX I'm 66 and I do have back problem but mines if I don't work out it get bad, my leg will go nim.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:40 AM   #60

Quote:
A couple more.

Big1, what size chain are you using? I got some 1/2” from a buddy that works on cranes, but it seems awfully large.