Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #61

Here in Ontario one chain has to be rated for gvrw of trailer
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #62

I bought a 20K Reese Goose Box with a set of matching Reese safety chains in February for use on our previous fifth wheel. When we got the Pinnacle last month I had the dealer remove the MORryde pin box and replace it with the Goose Box. It has an attachment point for the chains. I have a B&W gooseneck ball kit for the Ford puck system that includes 2 safety chain attachments that fit in the pucks. It takes about 30 seconds to attach them but I do have to crawl into the bed to reach them and to air up the Goose Box. Using the safety chains is a small price to pay for not having to deal with a hitch. With the light weight of the Andersen and Pull Rite I would think using them is also a small price to pay for the convenience.

We got pulled over in a truck check point in Minnesota last year. We had a conventional Trailer Saver air ride hitch and I had to talk long and hard before convincing the inspector that I did not need safety chains. I have no idea why he thought I needed them.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0362 (2).jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0363 (2).jpg  
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #63

Here in Texas, I understand that safety chains are required with goosenecks and NOT required with 5th wheel hitches. Andersen Ultimate hitches are a kind of mix of the two and as such, MAY require chains in some states. Doesn't take much to add them and eliminate the confusion. Andersen sells chains that have the eyelet bolts on them.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisbitch View Post
Big1, what size chain are you using? I got some 1/2” from a buddy that works on cranes, but it seems awfully large.
I think that mines are 1/2 I'm not sure but that sound about right, you want to make sure if something would happen God forbid that your chain can carry the load.

Do you know that load rating on the 1/2 chain and what kind of fiver do you have? I rather go more than less any day.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
I bought a 20K Reese Goose Box with a set of matching Reese safety chains in February for use on our previous fifth wheel. When we got the Pinnacle last month I had the dealer remove the MORryde pin box and replace it with the Goose Box. It has an attachment point for the chains. I have a B&W gooseneck ball kit for the Ford puck system that includes 2 safety chain attachments that fit in the pucks. It takes about 30 seconds to attach them but I do have to crawl into the bed to reach them and to air up the Goose Box. Using the safety chains is a small price to pay for not having to deal with a hitch. With the light weight of the Andersen and Pull Rite I would think using them is also a small price to pay for the convenience.

We got pulled over in a truck check point in Minnesota last year. We had a conventional Trailer Saver air ride hitch and I had to talk long and hard before convincing the inspector that I did not need safety chains. I have no idea why he thought I needed them.

Lol,What in the world is that that loaded on your king pin? I do agree with you that having chain is a small price to pay and it take all of 30 second to hook them up.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:39 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
Here in Texas, I understand that safety chains are required with goosenecks and NOT required with 5th wheel hitches. Andersen Ultimate hitches are a kind of mix of the two and as such, MAY require chains in some states. Doesn't take much to add them and eliminate the confusion. Andersen sells chains that have the eyelet bolts on them.

Yes you are right with this statement it want hurt nothing by adding them, I kind of like having chain it make my truck look "BEEFY" LOL.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:19 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I think that mines are 1/2 I'm not sure but that sound about right, you want to make sure if something would happen God forbid that your chain can carry the load.

Do you know that load rating on the 1/2 chain and what kind of fiver do you have? I rather go more than less any day.

Google says 1/2” Grade 70 is good for 11,300. So, if I have 2 that’d be 22,600. My fiver GVWR is 11000. I might see if buddy has 3/8 to cut down on some weight. I’m in Ontario, Canada also.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #68

I use grade 70 5/16"

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:24 AM   #69

Man, and I was just out to the fiver today and I didn't even look at my chain, I might be going back out tomorrow and I will look for sure. I know that my eye bolts are 5/8.