Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2019, 05:14 PM   #1

Andersen Ultimate Hitch or Pullrite 2600 Superlite?

Hello all. New to the forum. We've ordered a 2019 Jayco 355MBQS and looking for the right hitch. The dealer has thrown in the Pullrite 2600 Superlite hitch that attaches to the gooseneck ball as it's the one we asked for. It weighs 65 pounds which is light compared to others. I came close to asking for the Andersen Ultimate hitch that also attaches to the gooseneck ball and weighs only 35 pounds but you need safety chains for the Andersen and I'm trying to keep it simple. Can I get some pros and cons from anyone that has either of these hitches? Our tow vehicle is a 2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB Laramie Longhorn. Thanks in advance!
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #2

Welcome to JOF! I can comment on either one but I know that the Andersen is a good talk about the hitch and that's not to say that the Pullrite is not good but the Andersen hitch is very much love.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #3

We use an Anderson Ultimate and have never used safety chains. Love the ease of hooking up and when not towing having the use of my truck bow.
mikensue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #4

Truck box that should be..
mikensue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensue View Post
We use an Anderson Ultimate and have never used safety chains. Love the ease of hooking up and when not towing having the use of my truck bow.
I thought I saw somewhere that the Andersen Ultimate is required to have safety chains in the state of Texas because it is considered a gooseneck adaptive hitch. They both seem to be really good hitches that attach to a gooseneck ball and are lightweight.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:59 PM   #6

True Dat.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
I thought I saw somewhere that the Andersen Ultimate is required to have safety chains in the state of Texas because it is considered a gooseneck adaptive hitch. They both seem to be really good hitches that attach to a gooseneck ball and are lightweight.
Here in Tx it's one of those " do you need chains or not " foggy areas of the law. All hitchs with a ball are required to have safety chains, but under exemptions the law says RV 5th wheel hitchs don't need chains. I used them as long as I had my AUH but 2weeks ago went back to using my Curt X5 rails in my gooseneck and now use a BW 18K Patriot. I use my front end loader & take it out as an assembly
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #8

I have 8,000 miles on my Anderson and I’m very satisfied. For me the biggest benefit is to be able to hook or unhook at an angle and/ or when either is articulated.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #9

I also have a 2019 355mbqs and use an AUH. I have put on about 2,000 miles and love the AUH. My primary reason for going with the AUH was the easy and lightweight removal from the truck bed. This is my first 5th wheel so I don't have any experience with other hitches.
Galuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #10

Andersen makes a plate for the safety chains to connect to. It gets put down over the goose ball, then you set the Andersen Ultimate Hitch on the ball like normal. I got one just to be covered if in one of the states that require it. Takes about 3 more seconds to connect both chains when hitching up and when unhitching. Very easy.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #11

I use the Andersen hitch also and like it fine, although have never had a conventional FW hitch to compare with. I like being able to remove it easily when I need an empty bed. I use safety chains and it's a bit of a pain to crawl in the bed to hook them up.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:59 AM   #12

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm still leaning towards the Pullrite 2600 Superlite. Takes up less room in the bed and no chains. Has its own surface rails to sit down on. And still only 55 lbs or so.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm still leaning towards the Pullrite 2600 Superlite. Takes up less room in the bed and no chains. Has its own surface rails to sit down on. And still only 55 lbs or so.
It's still a ball hitch so I would advise getting safety chains .
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #14

I look at some video on the Pullrite Superlite 2600 and it seem like a great hitch.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #15

If you pick something you dont like, sell it and try something else.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #16

Had both style hitches. Now have the AUH for 6 years, use no chains. Will never use anything else except AUH. I think the AUH is less money also.
bearkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #17

I use a B&W turnover ball hitch since I pull a horse trailer and a fifth wheel .Also set up for bumper pull. I have the gooseneck adapter for pulling a fifth wheel on the gooseneck ball. I much prefer to use a fifth wheel hitch because when I use the adapter it seems to be more jerky. I like the gooseneck ball for the horse trailer. When I pull any gooseneck ,I always use my chains. they are there for your safety. I don't try to get by when it comes to safety. I once had a travel trailer I was pulling and I had my sway bars on. The other guys laughed at me and said they never use them. I hit ice in Indiana and my truck slid almost sideways in the road . I didn't touch any pedals, it slowed and righted itself back in the road. It behaved as one straight vehicle. If I hadn't had my sway bars on, it would have jackknifed right there as some others did. The other guys didn't laugh anymore and they had to be pulled out with damage. No matter what brand hitch you use, and there are many good ones, use your common sense and always put safety first. How long and how hard is it to hook up 2 safety chains. I've seen trailers that came loose from the truck.I thought too much of my load whether it be horses or trailers to take chances . Good luck on your decision. I know that was a round about way of saying ,Be safe always.
Happy Trails
j2ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #18

We've been using the PullRite for two years now. Love it, you do need to keep it well lubed with a dry lube, the ball is very tight and will hang as you hitch/unhitch until its broken in. Never had any other problems with it.

Don
Old 02-27-2019, 06:13 PM   #19

We've had the AUH for a year now towing our 30.5MBOK with our F250 and love it; love it being light and easy to remove from the bed. Put on over 4000 miles and the only problem is the base shifts a little off square when we hit real bumpy, rough roads like those on I-95 in SC & Ga! Anyone else had that problem? It's torqued down to the ball per Andersen directions.
FlaFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaFF View Post
We've had the AUH for a year now towing our 30.5MBOK with our F250 and love it; love it being light and easy to remove from the bed. Put on over 4000 miles and the only problem is the base shifts a little off square when we hit real bumpy, rough roads like those on I-95 in SC & Ga! Anyone else had that problem? It's torqued down to the ball per Andersen directions.
I have the same FW and tow with a 2500 Duramax using the AUH. I've never had mine move at all. You are probably doing it the right way but it's important that you loosen the 2 side bolts before you torque the upper bolt, then tighten the 2 side bolts.

Does your rig "chuck" forward and back over rough roads? Mine does this so I installed a MorRyde pin box that reduces the jerking motion. When it chucks it's pretty severe and I feel like it could easily move the hitch around but it apparently doesn't.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote