Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2021, 03:05 PM   #21

I love these buckets. I use four on my FW. Only issue I’ve had was this past weekend when one froze to the jack. Didn’t think of that. Very stable compared to the wood blocks I used for sometime. We had 50mph gusting winds in NM this past weekend, and the trailer barely moved.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I use snap pads. I've seen the buckets though. A couple next to us had them not long ago. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but, his buckets were "burrowing" for lack of a better word, into the gravel site. He had to re-level at least once. He also told me that he set his rig up in their driveway and the buckets left round marks in the asphalt. I make it a point not to use cribbing of any kind. I've never had a problem with my levelers going out of stroke. Would have to be one heck of an unlevel site.
A 3/4" piece of plywood cut a little larger than the bucket would stop the burrowing. I use some 3/4 ply under my lego blocks when in softer ground. Works great.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #23

But don't fall off the blocks.

I had always wanted to get some of these fancy blocks but always just used some chunks of 2x8 wood without problem for the past 4 years. This fall we were hitching in the near dark and for some reason someone had closed my BW hitch jaws which we have never done before while unhitched. The DW didn't notice and kept saying "ok.. come back" and we of course knocked the trailer off the wood blocks. Fortunately it only dropped the 1 1/2 inches off the wood and no damage was done to trailer or truck. After the scare, we only commented that we (and my truck box) were very relieved that we didn't have anything holding up the front FW legs.

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:59 PM   #24

For the front of a 5th wheel I feel the Anderson bucket and most epic large blocks of wood are a safety issue.

Now before you torch me at the stake on my view hear me out.

If the trailer were to get bumped hard enough to move it would be really easy for the trailer to fall off the buckets or a block. if your truck is under the front it will come crashing down.

If you have the attitude of it will never happen ... it can and almost happened to me. I unhitched my 5th wheel and was pulling the truck out and I was clear ... but a chunk of firewood caught the hitch and leveraged against the bed of the truck as I pulled forward trailer went up and then came back down but a good 8 inches to the side. I wasn't using blocks but if I was... I suspect it would have hit the truck or maybe 1 block stayed on the jack and then tipped the trailer to the side or worse....

Ironically the wife missed the entire show but my co campers wife saw the entire thing and we both decided to never bring it up ... it was a close call but blocks, bucket ETC would have been a bad day.

-David
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:27 AM   #25

Having a bad experience because you missed or forgot something while hitching or unhitching isn't a great reason to put down a beneficial piece of equipment because things could have been worse if you were using said piece of equipment. Using the blocks reduces trailer movement and stress on the jacks because they're not extended as far. Your RV is better off with less stress so to not use them because someone might hit the trailer or you might screw up while hitching doesn't add up.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
2x6 and 2x8's work great, but with quality of wood today, they dont last.. I even coat them with enamel paint and they still crack in short time.. With today's cost of wood, the cost adds up quick. And here in Calif, we get to pay an added wood tax when we purchase any type of wood and now they are getting ready to add a disposal tax to wood... Crazy as hell when you consider plastics are far worse for environment over wood.
My neighbor takes 2 square 2X10's and sandwiches a square of 1/2" plywood in the middle. Glued and screwed, then adds a handle. I've got the stuff to do that, and should stop the cracking. (I think I'll use 2X12's, though).
Old 10-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
For the front of a 5th wheel I feel the Anderson bucket and most epic large blocks of wood are a safety issue.

Now before you torch me at the stake on my view hear me out.

If the trailer were to get bumped hard enough to move it would be really easy for the trailer to fall off the buckets or a block. if your truck is under the front it will come crashing down.

If you have the attitude of it will never happen ... it can and almost happened to me. I unhitched my 5th wheel and was pulling the truck out and I was clear ... but a chunk of firewood caught the hitch and leveraged against the bed of the truck as I pulled forward trailer went up and then came back down but a good 8 inches to the side. I wasn't using blocks but if I was... I suspect it would have hit the truck or maybe 1 block stayed on the jack and then tipped the trailer to the side or worse....

Ironically the wife missed the entire show but my co campers wife saw the entire thing and we both decided to never bring it up ... it was a close call but blocks, bucket ETC would have been a bad day.

-David
I have to admit I don't understand exactly what you are trying to convey.

The Anderson buckets have a lip and a magnet. Anything is possible I suppose. I guess I would say don't have firewood in the truck bed that can be wedged behind your hitch and proper use of the product should work without incident.

In any case, I se Anderson buckets in the front and snap pads in the back - typically no room for the buckets in the back. I drop the legs and buckets most of the way before leveling, and have never had an out of stroke error, nor issues leveling. I do have rubber pads I could also put under any jack if needed.

Wood blocks are an eyesore, heavy, and a PITA to me.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #28

I almost ordered another set of Anderson Buckets but after reading a few post on them, checking out the home brew version some of you did and looking at my wood pile in the back yard, I decided to take the cheaper better route.. Cost???? Wood was in a burn pile, Gate handles $16 bucks at ACE. Thanks for the tips guys n gals.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1718.jpg   IMG_1719.jpg  
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I almost ordered another set of Anderson Buckets but after reading a few post on them, checking out the home brew version some of you did and looking at my wood pile in the back yard, I decided to take the cheaper better route.. Cost???? Wood was in a burn pile, Gate handles $16 bucks at ACE. Thanks for the tips guys n gals.

I've done the same, only using some old 2x12's. Each cut to 11-1/2" lengths. I sandwiched 3, alternating the grain, and ran deck screws from both sides into the middle. Used old nylon webbing for the handles but recently found some old window pull handles in my garage.

Depending on the lay of the land, I may not use the front ones. Sometimes, when using blocks on the landing gear, the front comes down so low that it's difficult to get into the front storage.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13502 View Post
I've done the same, only using some old 2x12's. Each cut to 11-1/2" lengths. I sandwiched 3, alternating the grain, and ran deck screws from both sides into the middle. Used old nylon webbing for the handles but recently found some old window pull handles in my garage.

Depending on the lay of the land, I may not use the front ones. Sometimes, when using blocks on the landing gear, the front comes down so low that it's difficult to get into the front storage.
I was going to make them from 2x6 but i didn't have enough in my wood pile. I live within a new housing area under construction and these contractors are letting me take their scrap wood.. Most of it is pretty good wood. I haven't noticed any 2x12's. but they do throw out 2x6.. The set i justi made are 10-3/4" square. A set 12" square would be perfect. I coated mine with Thompson which i also haver in abundance.. Weight is not too bad, about 3-4 lbs each.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #31

I love them, they are strong and lightweight. My wife and I put them out in seconds.

They really make a difference

h3is3m2n is offline   Reply With Quote