Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #21

We have the andersen 3220. Is there any possibility that you did not torque down the (is it?) 4 bolts to 40 lbs of torque on the red piece (the kingpin coupler) that's attached to the 5th wheel? If that wasn't torqued down, it could swing around closer, as it would then have 6 inches of play. It could even do that on a hard break. It's possible u could have hauled with no issues, but the back up could have triggered it pivoting around. Just a thought. Sorry it happened though!
Hollyhockdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #22

I researched the hell out of hitch combinations before I decided to order a Reese Sidewinder. It pivots at the pin box and uses a wedge behind the king pin. My original truck was a 2004 chevy cc 6 ft box and I never came close to the cab. It is the best setup!!!
tazz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:30 PM   #23

i have the Demco Slider hitch on my 2018 Ram 2500 and almost changed it out to an Anderson. But after watching a guy backing his Montana into a thight spot at an RV Park with the Anderson and doing the same exact thing you did i opted out.. He actually ended up with a lot more damage then you and good gash out of his trailer. His cab crunched like a soda can.. A little scary consider i have the same truck. I've had my Demco in some pretty tight spots and never came close... The only reason i almost opted for the Anderson was to reduce some weight from that heavy Demco... I'll be hanging with my Demco for a long time..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #24

I understand when you have the Anderson in the rear position it increases the weight off the axle and puts way more stress and weight by leverage to the rear of the Truck.. I dont think you want to do this with the 2500's.. the 3,500's and 1 tons can handle the rearward shift..
Old 11-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #25

Same problem

I have 28.5 rsts and the same truck. I knew i had limits in my turning radius but did not pay attention. Blew out my window and dented the roof. $2,100 repair. Slider hitch works only if you remember to release it. I wonder if there is a hitch that can set limits on the turn radius for short beds. Sorry for your accident.
jcsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #26
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I understand when you have the Anderson in the rear position it increases the weight off the axle and puts way more stress and weight by leverage to the rear of the Truck.. I dont think you want to do this with the 2500's.. the 3,500's and 1 tons can handle the rearward shift..

I did not find that to be true with years of towing in two different short beds and since most of us have/had air bags to help level much of that problem is gone.

Depending upon which Andersen is used, the connection to the ball can be forward or back, and the hitch in the bed can be forward or back. Setting it up for load balance can be done.

The biggest issue is that many 5th wheels have a front cap that is not going to work well with short beds. In my case, with the Cyclone, which has a front cap that allows an 88 degree turn, even without the Andersen there was no danger of hitting the cap.

Another issue with these type accidents is "head space error". Take your time backing, watch the angle of your turns. Don't get so caught up in where the back end of your trailer is that you forget the front. I would stop at certain points in backing to see where the front and back were. Multitasking.
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #27

Something is jogging my memory but I think i remember something about the hitches installed in the ram trucks are a little closer to the cab than the GM trucks. I seem to hear more from the ram people having hit their cans than the GM ones.
On LEVEL ground you may be able to make it 90* without hitting the cab, and have plenty of clearance. Now, take away that LEVEL ground, and you'll run into all sorts of problems, real fast. Let's say you're turning nto a parking lot from the road. Roads are high in the center and slope to the edges. The entrance to the parking lot will slope toward the edge of the road. As the truck leaves the road and enters the parking lot it's now on an uphill climb, so to speak, and the trailer is still on a downward slope of the road. That just closed the gap between the truck and the front of the trailer by more than what youd think. Now let's compound the problem by making the turn a tight one.
I ran into an issue with my current rig. I thought I had, but didnt, have enough clearance between the bed rails and the trailer. I backed the trailer into a grassy campsite. Clearance was close but I got it without anything making contact. Getting it out 3 days later was the challenge. The trailer didnt track out the same way it went in. As I was pulling it out it almost made contact, I stopped, and I had a long way to go to get it out of the site. Fortunately, I still kept 2x6 boards in my storage and had to use them along with my 12" square wood pads I put under the leveling legs. I used them to build up the surface the tires would ride on and had to play leap frog with the boards. I got it out, but was close. I couldn't believe how just a couple inches could make or severely break something. Needless to say, later i made adjustments to get more clearance.
IMO standard bed trucks, it's a must to have a slider hitch. Say it another $500 for the hitch. $500 is a lot cheaper than a blown out back window and a nice smack in the cab of the truck. Like RoadrunnerII said, it's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #28

[QUOTE=CAG;916625]I did not find that to be true with years of towing in two different short beds and since most of us have/had air bags to help level much of that problem is gone.

Actually it's a matter of physics. When you pull weight off its center point, as an example in a truck with it's 5th wheel weight designed to be over the axle you increase weight greatly the further you offset the weight from it's center. I had a hitch guy actually explain this to me and pointed out that by keeping the heavier Demco autos slide hitch which by design is centered over the axle, i would actually be better off in bed weight vs. going the Anderson and positioning that hitch in the rearward position to maintain the clearance on the short bed. There is no benefit to bed weight trade off between the Anderson and the Demco.. He also said that I would have extra bed space because the Anderson apparently takes up more space. I realize the Demco offsets the weight to rear just as the Anderson does, but this temporary weight transfer only when backing, not driving down the freeway... The only thing i would benefit from with the Anderson is the installation and removal process. I rigged up an electric hoist on my garage header so i can easily deal with the Demco on my own. I just drop in on a floor dolly and move it where it needs to be... If I had a heaver truck, i.e. the 3500 or a 1 ton, i defiantly would go with an Anderson
Old 11-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #29

the Auto Sliders such as the Demco Auto Slide automatically sfifts the king pin rearward as you turn while backing.. The sharper you turn as you back the further it moves the kingpin to the rear. This gives you the necessary clearance only when backing and or turning when moving forward I can easily get over 90 degrees and still have inches of clearnce with my Demco. The hitch is heavy but when you consider permanently shifting weight rearward of the axle with the rearward position of the Anderson you actually end up with the same bed weight between the two hitchs. The Demco will cost you two times that of an Anderson but you are putting less strain on your truck.. If you have a 3500 or 1 ton truck, it is not an issue... those trucks can handle the added bed wight..
Old 11-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #30

Quote:
If you have a 3500 or 1 ton truck, it is not an issue... those trucks can handle the added bed wight..
Pretty sure your supposition that no 250/2500 can't handle this, doesn't take into account people selecting the right truck for the trailer.

Slow down on that Demo koolaid....
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:53 PM   #31

you have to consider the trailer, its weight and its tongue weight against your Trucks rating for both towing and bed wight.. If you move that weight of the centerline of the axle you'll need to do the math to figure out what your actual bed rating would be.. the further you move off center line the more weight by leverage you increase to the bed rating. A lot of people don't think about this and just assume they are meeting the bed weight limits of the truck... And im not even mentioning what is loaded in the bed to add additional weight, of course that needs to be equated in as well. The 3500's and 1 tons have a much greater bed capacity then the 2500's. Thats why i point out it's nothing to worry about with the bigger trucks. But that also depends on the Trailer in general.. I'm just saying on average.. Also, a lot of folks think by having Air bags they are increasing the bed weight limits of their truck. That is not true. The only thing the air bags are doing is assisting in leveling out the truck, that's it, nothing more.. Air bags do not transfer weight to truck frame like many people believe.. Air bags are only gong two help you get your head lights in a level driving position and make your truck 'look' like it's helping with added weight. One always has to consder the vehicle towing capacity and the trailer wight and not forget to do the math when they offset weight from center of axle on 5th wheel trailers. Pretty much why a truck has less bumper weight capacity with a tongue pull trailer than that of a 5th wheel designed to place its weight over the center of the axle.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #32

Again, you are over-generalizing to the point you sound like you are in marketing for Demco.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #33

Trust me, i'm not marketing for Demco.. I i were i would have never mentioned that i considered gong with the Anderson.. I started with the Demco and didn't like the weight and struggle putting it in and out of the truck... When i started looking at the Anderson, i learned a lot of things i never considered. I'm merely pointing out what ii learned,, I would love to have an Anderson, basically because i could single handed move it when needed but when i discovered i,m not gaining anything and actually could be hurting my truck i decided against it.. I have the Eagle RSTS and it is considered a heavy trailer. My truck meets the towing capacity, my bed capacity is getting close to borderline when fully loaded,, I actually wished i went with the 3500 but with the Ram you actually gain some bed capacity and lose some towing capacity.. The 1 ton would have been the best of all worlds.. Anyway, just passing along my lessons, defiantly not pushing any product,... I apologize if I came across that way..
Old 11-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #34

I have the SuperGlide by PullRite Hitch on my 2018 GMC Sierra pulling a 2016 Jayco Pinnacle. I have been using the SuperGlide hitches for about 10 years and would have nothing else. Never have to worry about turning.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgelyhome View Post
I have the SuperGlide by PullRite Hitch on my 2018 GMC Sierra pulling a 2016 Jayco Pinnacle. I have been using the SuperGlide hitches for about 10 years and would have nothing else. Never have to worry about turning.
The SupperGlide was my first choice but being in an hurry when i bought my RV i went with what was available off the counter. I ended up pretty happy with my Dmco but would appreciate a little less weight.. The Demco is around 225 lbs.. curious what your SupperGlide weighs in at. Also curious if you've ever had a problem re-hitching when for instance you are parked parallel to a slanting lakebed... The Demco wants to be level vertically with the king pin to get a proper hitch lock.. I learned that you have to raise the low side of the truck with blocks when re-hitching in that predicment. That's another benefit i didn't mention with the Anderson but one would have to really watch the bed side rails agains contact.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #36
CAG

Quote:
Trust me, i'm not marketing for Demco.. I i were i would have never mentioned that i considered gong with the Anderson.. I started with the Demco and didn't like the weight and struggle putting it in and out of the truck... When i started looking at the Anderson, i learned a lot of things i never considered. I'm merely pointing out what ii learned,, I would love to have an Anderson, basically because i could single handed move it when needed but when i discovered i,m not gaining anything and actually could be hurting my truck i decided against it.. I have the Eagle RSTS and it is considered a heavy trailer. My truck meets the towing capacity, my bed capacity is getting close to borderline when fully loaded,, I actually wished i went with the 3500 but with the Ram you actually gain some bed capacity and lose some towing capacity.. The 1 ton would have been the best of all worlds.. Anyway, just passing along my lessons, defiantly not pushing any product,... I apologize if I came across that way..

What happens with many of these posts is we get way too much engineering by way too many people on something that is not that big a deal. Not to mention some not knowing the facts. My golf instructor told me at one time, avoid seizure by over analyzing the problem.

Nobody here made any statement about airbags correcting a weight issue and the only difference between most 2500 and 3500 is one spring leaf.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #37

what happens when one lacks information, they often make poor decisions.. I When i buy something off of eBay or Amazon i 'Always' relay on user information and reviews.. Even when i bought my last RV In Dash GPS car Stereo.. This forum is intended to share information... If information i provide helps someone, it is worthy my while.. If it pissis them off, oh well,, another day, they will get over it.. Thanks
Old 11-22-2020, 06:41 PM   #38
CAG

Quote:
what happens when one lacks information, they often make poor decisions.. I When i buy something off of eBay or Amazon i 'Always' relay on user information and reviews.. Even when i bought my last RV In Dash GPS car Stereo.. This forum is intended to share information... If information i provide helps someone, it is worthy my while.. If it pissis them off, oh well,, another day, they will get over it.. Thanks

User information with feedback that is provided with many sites is FAKE! There are a number of studies that have pointed that out as something to be aware of when depending on feedback. Amazon's feedback is not something to depend upon when buying the product you are looking at. That is an example. Other sites are the same.

I have said it here before. While we all appreciate the feedback we get when we ask it for on different things, including tires, trucks, hitches, oil, and the list goes on, the perspective is on one, and maybe two comparisons. How many people that give you information on a truck have ever driven anything other than the brand they are recommending? Not the best comparison in my book. How many used more than one oil product, and ran Blackstone tests on that and others so that their evaluation is valid? How many different hitches did that person test before giving you an evaluation on "whatever". You got an evaluation on the one hitch they ever owned, is what it amounts to.

My point is asking for feedback here is good, but take it with a grain of salt because it is limited and certainly not scientific. Do your homework. Don't depend upon one Web site for your final solution.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #39

Smile

You called me an engineer so obviously i did my homework, both scientific and in research... And i told my story.... Numbers don't lie. The nuclear bomb was not invented just because someone 'liked' it. I'll stick to my point, if you have a 2500 3/4 Ton trucks, a heavy 5th wheel and using an Anderson Hitch in the rearward positon, then you better do your research very carefully and not listen to someone that 'likes' it.. You may be putting more stress on your Truck then what it is designed or 'engineered' for.. And be worry of Air Bags because they are not increasing the load capacity of a truck.. Too many people get pulled into what people like and claim and not consider the real world around their decisions.. And just last night i learned that most 5th Wheel Trailer Frame manufactures will void a warranty if an Anderson Hitch is used. I don't know the details behind that yet but i did send off an email to Lippert whom manufactured by frame to confirm or deny this and why. Just more research that i intend to share, wether people like it or not...
Old 11-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #40

Quote:
You called me an engineer so obviously i did my homework, both scientific and in research... And i told my story.... Numbers don't lie. The nuclear bomb was not invented just because someone 'liked' it. I'll stick to my point, if you have a 2500 3/4 Ton trucks, a heavy 5th wheel and using an Anderson Hitch in the rearward positon, then you better do your research very carefully and not listen to someone that 'likes' it.. You may be putting more stress on your Truck then what it is designed or 'engineered' for.. And be worry of Air Bags because they are not increasing the load capacity of a truck.. Too many people get pulled into what people like and claim and not consider the real world around their decisions.. And just last night i learned that most 5th Wheel Trailer Frame manufactures will void a warranty if an Anderson Hitch is used. I don't know the details behind that yet but i did send off an email to Lippert whom manufactured by frame to confirm or deny this and why. Just more research that i intend to share, wether people like it or not...
Rather than try to get frame manufacturers to agree, Andersen just provides a warranty of their own.

Research: https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...-warranty.aspx

Tags
anderson hitch