Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2020, 11:25 PM   #1

Anderson Hitch Turning Point

So today while I was backing up, our new fifth wheel hit the window of our truck and also made a dent on the truck above the window. I have a short bed and turned 90 degrees without a problem at all. We tow the rig with a 2020 ram 2500. Anyone can point out what the problem may be? Should I be getting a slider hitch?
Another question I’m wondering is that my dealer told me that that Anderson hitch is a good option and they replaced the “turning point” pin box. Should I ask for the original pin box back?

2021 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 BHOK
Attached Thumbnails
868FFB1B-07DF-4F1D-8FDF-282DEF63CC2D.jpg   F9C1F5EB-383D-4880-91BC-87509B244F40.jpg  
b888b888b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #2

With a short box a slider hitch or rotating King pin hitch are usually required. We have an autoslider so does 2 brotherin laws and a cousin.
Someone once said that without a slider it was not if you would hit it was a matter of when.
With a short box I would never hookup without a slider
Just me its how I roll.
Others have gone for years and never touched
YMMV
RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:35 AM   #3

If you need to get to 90degrees then a slider hitch or a rotating Pin box is a must. The Anderson may move the fixed pivot point back but isn’t compatible with or any more effective than a rotating pin box IMO

Welcome to JOF - sorry that you arrived with a dent and open window.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #4
CAG

Sorry folks I had an Andersen for years, along with a short bed Duramax. No slider required.

You don’t say which hitch you have but the original can be installed with the hitch ball forward or back. If installed forward it will bring the front of the rig forward and depending on that rig, make contact. My Heartland advertised an 88 degree turn WITHOUT a slider. With the Andersen it was possible to jackknife and not touch.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
CAG

I should also add that the hitch that attaches to your pin can be rotated forward or back and this will change the rig position. If you install the bed hitch forward and the pin hitch back you are going to be really close to the back of the cab.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:29 PM   #6
Site Team

I have the Anderson Ultimate 3220. On my sb truck, I can almost do a 90 deg. turn but in many years of camping, I have never had to do that.

It's something I quadruple measured before buying and tested after installation.

They have a detailed method of determining if it will work on your trailer/ truck combo and videos also.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Sorry folks I had an Andersen for years, along with a short bed Duramax. No slider required.

You don’t say which hitch you have but the original can be installed with the hitch ball forward or back. If installed forward it will bring the front of the rig forward and depending on that rig, make contact. My Heartland advertised an 88 degree turn WITHOUT a slider. With the Andersen it was possible to jackknife and not touch.
My hitch ball is installed backward. Maybe it was because of the slope? I still don't understand since I had turned many times without a problem.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:36 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by b888b888b View Post
My hitch ball is installed backward. Maybe it was because of the slope? I still don't understand since I had turned many times without a problem.

I don't either but that might be it. It is not fun, or funny when something like that happens. I have not done that one but trust me we have all done similar. If you like, post a few photos of your setup and let's see if we can tract it down. No promises but someone might have an idea.

Old 11-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #9

I just dropped off my RV for service but I will take the pictures as soon as I can. Thanks
Old 11-16-2020, 03:33 PM   #10

That's sucks badly! Sorry it happen.

I would like to ask, why do people use short bed trucks for 5th wheel towing? Something I'm missing? I've only owned long beds.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
That's sucks badly! Sorry it happen.

I would like to ask, why do people use short bed trucks for 5th wheel towing? Something I'm missing? I've only owned long beds.

Earl

Because long bed truck don't fit in some garages, and some of us like the looks of a short bed over a long bed. They are also, much like duallys hard to find parking places for where you are not sticking out in traffic.

I had a 2004 and a 2014 short bed Duramax, and never had an issue towing a 37' toy hauler. Personal preference mostly. And the fact that towing was about 15% of it's use.

Old 11-16-2020, 06:04 PM   #12

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean, "hitch ball is installed backward"? Do you mean the red part on the trailer is behind the king pin? Mine is in front of the king pin. I have never come close to hitting the truck, but of course I watch for that.

"Short bed" Super Duty is 6.5'. Not sure how long the RAM short bed is?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #13

There must have been some slope or uneven ground to dent the cab like that. Or, the turning point had gone beyond where you first thought, but I suspect some uneven ground at play. Sorry it had to happen to you, but a good reminder to the rest of us to keep checking that during the backing process. The new fifth wheel caps and hitches are really well suited to the short bed trucks, but the setup needs to be respected still.

Also, I can relate to an expensive camping trip due to damages caused by me not properly operating my fifth wheel/truck combo.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I am not sure what you mean, "hitch ball is installed backward"? Do you mean the red part on the trailer is behind the king pin? Mine is in front of the king pin. I have never come close to hitting the truck, but of course I watch for that.

"Short bed" Super Duty is 6.5'. Not sure how long the RAM short bed is?
I just meant that it's installed correctly. My bed is also 6ft something but I'm sure it was related to the campsite I was at. The ground was uneven and I had to make sharper turns.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #15

I use the rail mount Andersen Ultimate hitch and reversed the adapter and tow with a short bed 2016 Denali 2500HD and I can clear the back glass on a 90 degree angle. My last truck was 2 years older and had a B&W turnover ball and it set things up nearly 4" closer to the cab and I could not make the 90 degree angle without hitting the window. I always got nervous in tight places but never hit.
Unfortunately Andersen does not make any kind of slider system. Make sure your adapter is reversed which places the ball ahead of the pin.
As far as your pin box goes, it's yours....not theirs to keep. You may want to replace your FW in the future, and move your pinbox to the new trailer.
Btw, I really like my Andersen hitch.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #16
CAG

Quote:
I just meant that it's installed correctly. My bed is also 6ft something but I'm sure it was related to the campsite I was at. The ground was uneven and I had to make sharper turns.

I think you may be correct. If the back end of the truck was in a low point, that would bring the front cap of the trailer closer as it would be "down" also. That would seem to bring both closer to each other.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #17

OP, , the " turning point " pin boxes I've seen can't be removed from the rv. They are locked straight by 2 bolts from the bottom when using hitch's such as Andersen or a conventional hitch with a longbed
I had an Andersen when I didnt know better but I only tow with longbed trucks.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:23 PM   #18

Auto Slider Hitch

Slider hitch is basically a requirement for a short (standard) box. No one told me when I bought my first fifth wheel this year, and I discovered the problem when I went to pickup my Rv. I had the hitch installed at the dealer. They immediately, upon my request, changed out the fix hitch for an auto slider, and wow what a difference!
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:33 PM   #19

Just for clarification, I could make a 90 without the slider, but that being said I was within an inch of contact, and considering a MoRyde (not sure of spelling) had up to a 2” movement forward and movement sideways, I figured if I ever hit the brake it would have been a disaster making a high angle turn.
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:41 PM   #20

Quote:
so today while i was backing up, our new fifth wheel hit the window of our truck and also made a dent on the truck above the window. I have a short bed and turned 90 degrees without a problem at all. We tow the rig with a 2020 ram 2500. Anyone can point out what the problem may be? Should i be getting a slider hitch?
Another question i’m wondering is that my dealer told me that that anderson hitch is a good option and they replaced the “turning point” pin box. Should i ask for the original pin box back?

2021 jayco eagle ht 29.5 bhok
i have a auh in my 06 gmc 2500 sb. I tow a 25.5 eagle reok. The the part that is secured to ther king pin is mounted so that the kingpin is to the rear of the red cup. Never had a problem. However, i spent 24 years at the big brown machine driving a semi. Respectfully, if you have to jackknife your rig that much that often maybe you shouldn't be backing up
PEEWEEH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anderson hitch