Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2017, 10:37 PM   #1

Another crazy issue with the 371

So after a trip to Mt. Airy for Thanksgiving, I was preparing to leave. The tanks were dumped. The slides were in. The life lines (cable, water and elec) were stowed. The rear jacks returned to their resting place, and the pin hooked. While manually retracting the front jacks, I hear a pop loud enough to be heard over the noise of the jack motors. Looking around wondering WTH that was, it appeared...water...alot of water streaming to the ground from under the side of the camper. Figured a water line had broken so I just shrugged it off and left to go home.

Arriving at home, looked under the camper and saw that water had streamed back on the belly enroute. So I removed the partitions in the basement and found about 2 gallons of water on top of the belly cover. Vacuumed it up and found that the insulation between the kitchen floor and the top of the kitchen sink holding tank was wet. Hmmm. Pulled out the water hose and hooked it up. WOW! The water system held the pressure. No leaks. So I filled the kitchen tank. WOW! No leaks. Emptied the tank. WOW! No leaks. Filled the tank again. Retracted the front jacks about an inch. THERE IT IS!! A leak from somewhere on the top of the tank running down the front side. So somehow I have a fracture or a broken fitting or some other crazy problem causing water to emit from the holding tank. Where did all this water come from before I left?? The tanks had been emptied and black tank washed before the pin was hooked. This is crazy!! Anybody know what would cause a tank just sitting in the cradle to go south??

Anyway...called the dealer today. It's four months out of regular warranty. We did buy an extended warranty though. Dealer started a file and stated he will begin talks with Jayco to see if they will cover the repair as a goodwill gesture. We shall see. Repairs will begin after I replace the tires. Not going to pull it 200 miles on three originals and the spare. That's another story.

Of the five campers I've owned in 21 years, the very first repair (10/2015) on this Jayco was more than they ever had. Combined.

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
JaycoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Did they indicate if the extended warranty covered it? Keep us posted on the resolution. I have never heard that one.

PS: We love Mayberry cg in Mt Airy. I know the owner, Benny.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:51 AM   #3

I have not pulled the extended warranty information out yet to see exactly what is covered. I'll get down to the camper tonight and look it over.

We really enjoy the area around Mt. Airy and Mayberry CG. Talked to Benny several times.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoAl View Post
THERE IT IS!! A leak from somewhere on the top of the tank running down the front side. So somehow I have a fracture or a broken fitting or some other crazy problem causing water to emit from the holding tank. Where did all this water come from before I left?? The tanks had been emptied and black tank washed before the pin was hooked. This is crazy!! Anybody know what would cause a tank just sitting in the cradle to go south??
I guess it could be an overflow tube on top of the fresh water tank had come loose but that wouldn't explain how you had water coming out from an empty tank when you left the campground, unless it had some kind of siphon effect going on.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Did they indicate if the extended warranty covered it? Keep us posted on the resolution. I have never heard that one.

PS: We love Mayberry cg in Mt Airy. I know the owner, Benny.
The extended warranty is through Cornerstone RV. It has two coverage levels and fortunately I bought the ultimate level which covers virtually everything including holding tanks.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I guess it could be an overflow tube on top of the fresh water tank had come loose but that wouldn't explain how you had water coming out from an empty tank when you left the campground, unless it had some kind of siphon effect going on.
I really don't know. Beginning to think its possessed.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:06 PM   #7

*UPDATE*
Picked up the camper from the dealer Friday and used it the weekend with no leaks. Dealer removed the forward grey tank (galley sink only) and found that the flexible drain hose that is connected to the tank had partially pulled out from the boot where it enters the tank. Also found a small leak in the fitting of a water line on top of the tank. The factory used a hose clamp in lieu of a crimp ring on the PEX water line. A new boot for the tank and advice from Jayco on how to better secure the drain hose, a crimp ring and all is well as far as that goes. Still doesn't explain where all that water came from. Paid nothing on the bill. Waiting for them to submit for warranty.

As he printed the paperwork, I asked the SM if they had secured the belly cover like it was. He said "yea, they got it taped up really well." HUH? What? "Yea, go look at it and see what you think." Went to have a look and they cut a 4'x7' hole in the belly cover instead of removing the screws and doing it the right way. I told the SM that it had too much sag and would blow off going down the road. He sent the mechanic out with an 12' section of aluminum and he fixed it somewhat better. It did not blow off during the 200 mile trip home. I'll fix it right in the next week or two.