Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #1

Another Dumb Move

Gotta be able to laugh at yourself right? Well, we get in to our RV resort in Houston. I raise the 5er to release the hitch (Pullrite hitch, opposite setup of the Andersen hitch). I have to pull out so I can auto-level. But before I hop in the truck, I close the tailgate. Dumb move. I pull the truck out (thankfully slowly), I hear this loud bang. The 5'er kingpin hits the tailgate. I was picturing a "U" tailgate at this point. Luckily, it just scratched a little of the top of the tailgate which has its' own cover protector on it so I got lucky. That's why I try to move slowly which in this case I'm glad I did. I wish I could say this would be my last dumb move.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #2

Oh how we learn our lessons . Mine was backing in to hook-up - lower the gate before making contact with the pin! Local body shop to the rescue
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #3

Mine was lowering tailgate but backing up at an angle. Corner of tailgate left a nice little ding in the front storage door. Wasn’t aware I had to back all but perfectly straight to avoid this or get out and raise tailgate once I’m past the kingpin. The camper was 3 days old. Lessons learned!
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Gotta be able to laugh at yourself right? Well, we get in to our RV resort in Houston. I raise the 5er to release the hitch (Pullrite hitch, opposite setup of the Andersen hitch). I have to pull out so I can auto-level. But before I hop in the truck, I close the tailgate. Dumb move. I pull the truck out (thankfully slowly), I hear this loud bang. The 5'er kingpin hits the tailgate. I was picturing a "U" tailgate at this point. Luckily, it just scratched a little of the top of the tailgate which has its' own cover protector on it so I got lucky. That's why I try to move slowly which in this case I'm glad I did. I wish I could say this would be my last dumb move.
Been there, done that.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:07 AM   #5

Aren’t those things normal. We’ve been camping since 1967 and have done it all. From driving off with the front jacks down, flushing the black tank and walking away and forgetting to shut it off, knocking the facia off the slide out several times, we had a Montana with French doors and knocked them off three times. To closing the slide and putting a recliner through the back wall. You guys ain’t got nothing on us. But even with all that we still love camping.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:51 AM   #6

Oh my Lord, lets not forget about pulling away while still hooked to shore power. That will stretch your patience and validate your DW's suspicions. She's a know-it-all. happy Camping ya'll and keep on laughing. You neighbor is................. SKIDAWG
2022 RAM 3500 6.7L
Ruger, Rhodesian Ridgebacks
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #7

Dropped mine on the bed of my truck backing in on a slope and the rig backed over those thin yellow chocks. Lesson learned. Now I use the large rubber chocks truckers use and don't ever put blocks under the front jacks!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #8

Joan was backing the truck in to park in front of the 5ver. she was new at backing it up so of course I gave the sage advice. Like this...

Me: Keep going
Joan: We're getting close
Me: We have plenty of room (I'm watching the rear back-up camera)
Joan: We are getting too close
Me: Keep going (forgetting that the back camera looks DOWN, not straight back)

Joan: We should stop
Me: Punch it.

So I'll say that those aluminum body components will never rust, but they sure do peel like a beer can. We have a new tailgate. Lucky the more expensive cameras/ mechanics/ trim were not damaged.

Now I place a stack of yellow leggo blocks on the ground a couple of feet in front of the Kingpin (Joan's idea of course). Cameras are great but so are mirrors and common sense.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:11 AM   #9

Whether we are newbies or been RVing for decades, we all have our tales of TV vs. FW. My first encounter was trying to get everything loaded up the night before leaving home for a NASCAR race and at 10PM I hear air leaking from the outside tire of my dually. So I air it up, unhitch the FW, and go to an all night truck repair shop to get it fixed. By the time I get home, it is near midnight, I'm hot and tired so I decide to just back up to the FW and finish loading in the morning. Well, it is dark and like someone else said, the backup camera looks at the ground. Kingpin hits the top of the tailgate and luckily only breaks the step trim cover. The second encounter was after spending an hour and half of fighting a leveling problem on a less than ideal campsite. After getting it as level as possible, it was time to park the TV parallel between FW and road. Learned my lesson first time....tailgate down...using rearview mirror to make sure I'm in front of the FW. I should of used the side mirror to make sure the Kingpin wasn't going to hit the corner of the bed rail and run 10 inches down the side just above the fender flare. That one cost me a right side bed rail trim and some touch up paint.

Lesson: don't back up tired and if you do take deep breathes, go slow, and check twice before doing it.

Score: Kingpin 2 TV 0
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #10

Well, it turns out I did some damage to the tailgate after all. The two shafts on each end that the tailgate locks onto, bent a little and the tailgate doesn't close all the way. IT closes, just not flush. Also, the handle/camera assembly has been pushed out some all the way around. Still works, handle and camera no problem. Has anyone else done this? Can those shafts on each end be replaced or bent back? Or am I looking at a major repair bill?
Old 08-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Well, it turns out I did some damage to the tailgate after all. The two shafts on each end that the tailgate locks onto, bent a little and the tailgate doesn't close all the way. IT closes, just not flush. Also, the handle/camera assembly has been pushed out some all the way around. Still works, handle and camera no problem. Has anyone else done this? Can those shafts on each end be replaced or bent back? Or am I looking at a major repair bill?
The tailgate strikers are easily replaceable. They unscrew with a Torx bit and ratchet, and are available from either the dealer, or aftermarket companies, like Dorman. They also adjust when loosened up. Maybe yours just slipped when the gate was hit.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #12

So here's the pictures of the damage. Is this something a body shop is gonna have to fix?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190811_160404745.jpg   IMG_20190811_160356249.jpg   IMG_20190811_160349503.jpg  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #13
Site Team

Probably the quickest fix will be a new tailgate. Did you check the striker bolts to see if they can be adjusted in any?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #14

We had to replace the tailgate when we had our little crunch. The trim, lights, camera and all mechanicals are swapped to the new one after paint. $1350 for our Ford.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #15

look at it this way. the insurance deductible is the same if its scratched or destroyed. I scratched mine too and it drove me nuts.(short drive).
remlapda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Probably the quickest fix will be a new tailgate. Did you check the striker bolts to see if they can be adjusted in any?
Ok, now you guys are making me sick to my stomach. No, I haven't checked the bolts as I don't have a torx big enough with us on this trip. Besides, I don't enough want to look at the frickin tailgate right now, so disgusted. Such a dumb move, lol. I've got estimates lined up on Monday. Think that's when I'll finally throw up!
Old 08-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Ok, now you guys are making me sick to my stomach. No, I haven't checked the bolts as I don't have a torx big enough with us on this trip. Besides, I don't enough want to look at the frickin tailgate right now, so disgusted. Such a dumb move, lol. I've got estimates lined up on Monday. Think that's when I'll finally throw up!
I find that only one kick to the arse is necessary. No need to beat yourself up about it.

One immutable fact is that we're human. And that means we're prone to make mistakes. It happens, and sometimes, no matter how many belts and suspenders you wear, you're going to end up with your britches around your ankles.

Point is learn from it, but don't let it ruin your day.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #18

Quote:
So here's the pictures of the damage. Is this something a body shop is gonna have to fix?
After a "mishap" with my FW, my tailgate was moved about as much as yours. No other damage at all. The torx bolts slipped back causing the tailgate gap. There was enough adjustment with my torx bolts to get the tailgate back in position.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
After a "mishap" with my FW, my tailgate was moved about as much as yours. No other damage at all. The torx bolts slipped back causing the tailgate gap. There was enough adjustment with my torx bolts to get the tailgate back in position.
That's what I'm hoping but look at the handle. It has been moved out also. Not sure if I'm gonna be able to do any adjustments inside the tailgate to get that back into place.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I find that only one kick to the arse is necessary. No need to beat yourself up about it.

One immutable fact is that we're human. And that means we're prone to make mistakes. It happens, and sometimes, no matter how many belts and suspenders you wear, you're going to end up with your britches around your ankles.

Point is learn from it, but don't let it ruin your day.
I know. And thanks for that.