Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2018, 06:46 AM   #1

another newby question

Question in regards to Jayco quality. Presently considering a 28.5RSTS. To all of the owners out there with one of the newer model HT series would you purchace another knowing what you know now? Appears to be some substantial changes from the 2018 to the 2019 models. Interior colors are new as well as an out door kitchen added. Dealer told me one of the issues with the pre 19 models was the slide system which have been addressed in the 19's. He did not have an 18 on the lot so he was certainly embellishing the new model. What were the issues with the slide systems and how has Jayco been in regards to warranting said issue? What other warrantable issues have people experianced?
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #2

Yes.

Some of the models used the Schwintek system on heavier slides (like kitchen) and they did not do well some of the time. When used on lighter slides (like our bedroom closet slide) they work very well.

Inspect closely as the assembly process lacks quality control. Even so expect to deal with a few issues along the way, mostly minor things. Don't put anything heavy in drawers at the rear of the trailer
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #3

I have a 2017 28.5. Bought it used and called Jayco and got the history on it before we bought. 2 very minor issue fixed under warranty from the previous owner.

I have had a few minor issues since we have owned it since March but dont have a warranty since you only get that from Jayco if your the original owner. I am a very handy person and never plan to bring it in for any repair.

So far we are very happy with the unit and would buy it again. We traded in a 2018 Rockwood 2440BS that we didnt care for at all. I would never get a Rockwood again.

Everyone has different experiences. But I think Jayco is above average in quality for the money.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #4

We have had our 2018 28.5 RSTS for a year. It’s been towed over 3500 miles so far and used at least three weekends a month with one long trip per year. Other than a few very minor issues, which were promptly addressed by our wonderful dealer, it has been great. I would definitely buy it again. To date, we have had no issues with any of our slides and we load the kitchen/entertainment slide heavy. It has the Schwintek slide. We do make sure that we are always level. Extremely happy so far.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #5

We have a 2018 Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS, I have had 2 water leaks in the plumbing. One on the kitchen sink fixture because the fitting was only hand tight. I tightened it and it's fixed. The other was on the water heater. It was tight but the fitting was installed with the seal cocked. I straightened the seal and re-tightened it and really had to, what I consider, over tighten the fitting but it is not leaked again. Neither of these leaks happened for the first few camping trips. We have camped a total of about 50 nights this summer and towed approximately 2500 miles. Have about 10 more nights scheduled. I had an Eagle Super Lite (see in my signature) for 6 years and did not have any issues. That's why I bought the new Eagle HT. Good luck and just get what you like and go with the flow. You may have problems with any RV you buy as you can see if you check the other brand forums.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:25 PM   #6

We have the 2017 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS, and are quite happy with it. We've had some minor issues which were addressed by our great dealer; Forrest Marine and RV in Tynesboro, MA. I would definitely recommend it. My only complaint is that I wished it slept more than four people. Good luck.
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #7

We've owned our 2018 28.5 RSTS since May 2018. Our first camping season revealed our back window leaked (window seal not put in correctly) and our kitchen slide would not retract when we were leaving our campsite ( a part was replaced by dealer after we finagled it back in), we had a loose screw in our water line that got stuck in a valve when we were sanitizing our lines so we could not close the valve( we couldn't get to it so dealer had to take apart water line), we had some separation on the outside that needed to be sealed and screwed in with larger screws, a wire in the furnace was recalled so needed replacement and our Moryde Orbital pin box was recalled and a part was replaced. Once repaired we have not had reoccurring problems. (The slide thing was scary so our heart pounds a little every time we retract them...ha ha)

You may be thinking...wow...that's a lot of problems. I've come to learn (we are newbies) , that ALL RV manufacturers have these issues. I was naive in thinking that this was going to be like a new car. I must admit I would NEVER buy from a dealership far from our home. You need to get it to them for your warranty work so accessibility is also critical. Our Jayco dealership has been great. (Hilltop RV in MN) One reason we purchased Jayco was due to their 2 year warranty. We are thinking the bugs will be all worked out from manufacturer slips by then. Time and years of use will determine the longevity of our 5th wheel. We take good care of our things by doing proper maintenance and plan on continuing this with our Eagle. I think a good dealership is the key! I would pay slightly more for this We love our 28.5 ...we will be adding another AC to our bedroom and may change out our recliners for theatre seating in the future due to the lack of space from the bigger recliners.

My newbie advice is find a great customer service dealership and expect some issues.
NanaStacie is offline   Reply With Quote