Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #1

Antifreeze taste

We have a jayco 26.5bhs 5th wheel. I believe when we winterized or dewinterized somehow we ended up with antifreeze in our fresh water tank. I flushed and flushed but am still not sure what is going on. You can still taste the antifreeze taste coming from the sinks even though I am positive none is there. I want to sanitize our fresh water tank but have no idea how since you hook a hose up to it to fill it. How exactly would I get the bleach into the tank??? It isn't as if there is a place to pour something in. I am also wondering if the bad smell/taste is because the antifreeze sat in the lines all winter. Please help me fix this!!!!
skichikk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:06 PM   #2

You can pump the bleach solution in the same way you did the antifreeze. Mix it in a gallon jug or bucket.

Do you have a water filter you forgot to remove when you winterized.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skichikk18 View Post
How exactly would I get the bleach into the tank???
Just like grumpy said - but there are other ways too. Some people pour the right amount of bleach into the *hose* and then fill the tank.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:10 PM   #4

I personally leave my antifreeze in the lines all winter.
But I've seen some posts here where people pump the antifreeze until the pink stuff comes through all the faucets. Then they know that all the water has been displaced. Then they turn on the low point drain and drain the antifreeze out of the lines. So the lines have no water and no antifreeze in them all winter. I suppose you could try that.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:46 PM   #5

We tend to only use the water in our fresh tank for washing dishes and ourselves. We buy bottled water to drink and cook with.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #6

I used anti freeze the first time, but having a large air compressor I set it at 50# use an adapter drilled out a bit bigger and blow the heck out of every setting on the control panel, for lack of a better word. I make sure I get EVERYTHING. No problems at all.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Just like grumpy said - but there are other ways too. Some people pour the right amount of bleach into the *hose* and then fill the tank.
which hose? the hose for the antifreeze? doesn't that just go into all the lines and not the actual fresh water tank? or are you saying a hose hooked up like I am going to fill my fresh water tank and put bleach in that?
skichikk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #8

Some RV antifreezes do deposit a "taste" on the plastic Pex piping. Are you sure you have antifreeze in the FW tank? I don't recall what brand I had used the first year or two of RVing, but man it a long time to get the taste out of the lines. I hooked up to city water connection, and just opened every faucet and the gray water tank valve and flushed for an hour or more, and just dumped the water into the yard.

I have switched to a brand that leaves almost no taste, it is much better. I do not recall the brand name , but I get it at Fleet Farm, and it is the only place I have found it. It works great. I am also one of those that after winterizing, I blow out the lines with compressed air, it does not remove all the antifreeze, but does remove a lot of it.

If you have antifreeze in the FW tank, open the low point drain fill the tank full, drain, repeat. On the second repeat I would sanitize the tank and lines. To me the bleach leaves a nasty taste, but it dissipates after a few days to a week if you flush well and drain the piping when done. After sanitizing, flush the tank at least twice, and I run some clean water up through the pump and then I switch over and use the city water connection.

Good luck.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #9

flush it, flush it! just like the sanitizing, flush the system until the smell & taste is gone.

Me I like the last of anti-freeze, its great on vanilla ice cream!
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:55 AM   #10

Get a funnel and pour a cup of bleach in your garden hose, then connect it to your camper.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:49 AM   #11

I may be doing it wrong but when I sanitize my FW tank, I use a funnel to pour the bleach directly into the fresh water fill then add the water from a hose. Never seemed to be a problem. I just use a long funnel...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote