Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #1

Anybody with a 361REQS w/o gen prep?

Looking for someone that owns a 361REQS without the gen prep option.

I want to know what the front storage bay looks like. Mine has gen-prep and has two compartments, on for the fuel tank and one that has a galvanized shell around it. I don't plan to install a genny so I wanted to see whether I can alter the compartment to increase the space. I'm putting a bank of 6v AGM's and inverter in there and will add a solar controller next year.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #2

I don't have a pic but ours did not have the Gen prep but we added a generator. Our generator is LP so I put four Lifeline 6v batteries there. With out a generator I'm guessing you could fit 8 to 10 batteries but that would require lots of solar to recharge. I have 320W Solar and that's fine most of the summer but I may add a couple more panels for shorter days.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #3

Does the non gen-prep trailer have the galvanized metal box and the divided storage area where the small fuel tank area on the right has no floor in it?

I looked at getting cabling out of the compartment with the arrangement I have and it looks like I can remove the propane tanks and then jam myself in above the metal box to be able to get cables out the top of it and through the forward bulkhead into the basement and from there I can go forward.

Where did you bring the solar feed down? From my initial looking I think I can bring them down beside the sewer vent which looks like it comes down the right side of the cabinet behind the toilet.

I have built a box to hold 4x Fullriver 6v's and a plywood panel at the back of the storage area for equipment mounting.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:59 AM   #4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvyujs9n5u...rstrg.jpg?dl=0

Here's a link to a picture of what my front area looks like. I added a plywood floor into the fuel tank location.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #5

My trailer did not come with the tin box for genny, I'd remove it. Mine did have a thin masonite walls. In my trailer the front compartment was one big opening with a raised shelf where a fuel tank could have gone. I was able to mount my four vary heavy batteries to two layers of 3/4" plywood glued & screwed together on the raised shelf. I used pieces of garage door angle and rafting straps to lock the batteries down. I connected the bank to stock batter cut-off in original battery compartment.

I had Camping World install the solar. They did run down behind the toilet. If you can temporarily remove the cabinet you should be able run the cables and mount the control panel in the kitchen.

My father-in law and I have debated if a generator is worth the cost or just getting a inverter and larger battery bank & solar set-up. I think the battery way might be better.

I don't have an inverter, yet (trying to convince "she who must e obeyed").

If you havent fully planned your setup yet. I'd suggest discussing your plans with AM solar in Oregon, they specialize in RV solar.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #6

This winter I plan to run with the 4 6v batteries and a 2000w inverter. With the gen-prep pkg I have the auto-xfer switch so I'll tie the inverter into that. Just need to make sure the built-in converter break is off for it to work. I'll have a small portable genny to use for battery charging.

In the spring I'll install solar. From what I've looked at I can go thru the roof near the stack vent and that'll get me into the basement. When I do the solar I'll remove the tin box and redo the battery and rear panel install as I'll have a better idea of space needed. I'll tie into the OE 12v disconnect switch to pwr the trailer.

I know of AM Solar but I'm up in Ontario so too far away to get stuff from them or have them do the work. I can do the solar install myself.

Thanks for your info.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #7

I went with the four batteries so I don't have to worry about running the furnace or lights in the evening. In the Spring or Fall, some times I wish I had a bit more solar and a couple extra batteries. If you plug the trailer into the generator it will charge the batteries slowly. I'd connect the gen straight to the batteries. That's why we added solar.

Try your setup and have fun, but I think you will want an additional pair of batteries. You'll have the room.

For now I'm happy with my setup, but I will add a coupe extra solar panels in a year or two.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #8

The 4 AGM's give me 450AH, I'll see how that capacity works out this winter. I plan to use an external 20A 3-stage battery charger off the genny which will probably take a bit of time to charge them. Plan is to install 2 or 3 240w 24v panels next yr.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #9

Sounds like you'll have plenty of solar and a good set up. I was told 1 Watt solar for every 1 Amp hour of battery. Others told me this was over kill so I went with less solar but with a roof combiner box so adding more panels will be easy. Don't forget to add shut-off switches so you can remove power to various components in case of service. Nice thing about solar is if size the cables on the large size its easy to expand.
I went with the four Lifeline 6V with 300Ah at 6V, these are large and heavy but I knew once installed they would be difficult to service or remove, so I spent the extra money and I don't need to vent the space.
I would like to add a smart Inverter/Charger but they are spendy. Still cheaper than a large Genny
Old 11-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #10

I used the AGM's so as not to require venting as well. I'll start with 480w of solar and set it up so I have room for a 3rd if needed. This will be our 1st winter south for 3 months and the first trip in the trailer. If it all goes well then I'll add the solar in the spring. So far I've just been researching and reading, the equipment gets cheaper every year though.