Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2021, 10:01 AM   #1

Anyone ever use those battery generator inverters for the AC unit

I saw the 2021 Winnebago Class B GL with a battery generator type system. It provides AC power to its air conditioning unit. I like it because it had no noise and obviously there was no maintenance involved like those gas generators. Has anyone ever used this type battery type generators in their fifth wheel? My AC unit is 13.5 BTUh.

Carlo
cgalutera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #2

How long could you run your A/C off of your batteries in your previous class b? Many inverters are strong enough (3000w plus) but even then I would expect no more than an hour of run time (constantly running with compressor on) for a 13.5btu a/c for each 100 amps of battery storage. ~CA
Old 10-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #3

Agreed, probably need at least one battery or even 2 for every hour you want to run that AC. Depends on the batteries, but if you want 6 hours of AC, you need about 6 very large batteries.

After that, you won’t have much power left for lights, refer controls or anything else.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:10 PM   #4

I saw it in Camping World. It can run at least overnight.
cgalutera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:28 PM   #5

My comments are based on trying to boondock for multiple days in full sun.
Just read up on the system, it has 300 amphours lithium batteries that could give you up to 8 hours of AC use, then it needs to be recharged. Actually a great system.

The Winnebago only has 215 watts of solar, with just the solar it would take about 3 days to charge the lithium batteries back up in the pack. Even plugged into a generator or shore power it could take 10 hours to recharge from 0-300. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

Meanwhile the Winnebago also has 2 group 31 deep cycles that the solar needs to focus on to keep the lights, refer, water pump and everything else powered up on.

My thought, great system to cool the rig down just before bed, maybe just a couple hours each night. But don’t expect it to last all night in 100 degree overnight temps in Las Vegas are as an example. After that, you need to get it plugged in somewhere.