Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
There is no breaking down
Oh, gotcha. My bikes have them inside.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:01 PM   #42

Angry No Good Luck With My Tow Max

Our 2014 38FLFS came with E rated Tow Max tires . They had 3360 miles on them when we left Yuma, Az in April. We had only driven 25 miles when the right rear tire completely disintegrated leaving only wire on the rim. Upon stopping found the left rear had a bulge about the size of a football in the tread and sidewall. It took the fender and sheet metal off of the right side.

I always check and inflate the tires to 80 PSI before travel and tow at 62 MPH. This was in a 55MPH zone when they blew. Outside air temp was 100 degrees and the trailer was not over loaded. I have ordered a new 2016 38FLSA with Goodyear G614RST 14 ply tires on it and won't have any Chineese tires on it.
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #43

I did some extensive research on TM tires after reading many threads on JOF , and having them on my 30.5, wanted to understand the facts and separate the volume of reports from real info about conditions.

I was very surprise to learn that most tires, regardless of brand, are designed and engineered in one place ( U.S. , Canada, Europe ) then sent to China for production. Many of the off name brands, like TM, are made in the same factories as the big name brands.

Also found it interesting that the volume of government reports of fallures was not unbalanced. In many of the investigations the findings were : under inflation, over load, over speeds resulting in excessive heat and tried separation. This was generally true on all makes of tires that failed .

Just my .02

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:48 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfas01 View Post
Our 2014 38FLFS came with E rated Tow Max tires . They had 3360 miles on them when we left Yuma, Az in April. We had only driven 25 miles when the right rear tire completely disintegrated leaving only wire on the rim. Upon stopping found the left rear had a bulge about the size of a football in the tread and sidewall. It took the fender and sheet metal off of the right side.

I always check and inflate the tires to 80 PSI before travel and tow at 62 MPH. This was in a 55MPH zone when they blew. Outside air temp was 100 degrees and the trailer was not over loaded. I have ordered a new 2016 38FLSA with Goodyear G614RST 14 ply tires on it and won't have any Chineese tires on it.
The set of Goodyears that I have on right now were built in China!!! They have been trouble free.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:19 AM   #45

My thoughts on Chinese products are this: a customer of a Chinese manufacturer can specify the level of quality he wants in his product. I think overseas facilities are capable of produciing a quality product. There is just more profit to be had from the lower quality products. So most big buyers (Wallyworld etc.) go that way . Thats why imported stuff has such a bad rep.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:47 AM   #46

About 7500 miles on ours and so far so good. I was surprised that they are load range D, and each is rated for 2500 lbs, giving me 1500 lbs capacity above GVWR, and im no where near that. I'm also meticulous about pressure and speed.

That said, I'll be replacing them next spring as they will be four years old and about 10k miles by then and I don't want to have any issues.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:59 AM   #47

Seems like a couple of those with failures on the 235/80R16's were of the Pinnacle 5th Wheeler. I am pulling the 33.5RETS Eagle. I believe the weight is considerable less with the Eagle than the Pinnacle. The pinnacle could be very close to the max as far as weight carrying capacity. That could have something to do with the failures. Mine still look good after over 10,000 miles. Might add the build date was 8/13 on the tires.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:39 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger View Post
My thoughts on Chinese products are this: a customer of a Chinese manufacturer can specify the level of quality he wants in his product. I think overseas facilities are capable of produciing a quality product. There is just more profit to be had from the lower quality products. So most big buyers (Wallyworld etc.) go that way . Thats why imported stuff has such a bad rep.
I completely agree. We bought 2 Trek mountain bikes last year. They used to made in Wisconsin, but some years ago they moved production to China. Our bikes are the low end of the high end. Not expensive as far as bikes go, but not cheap when compared to the Walmart specials or a Schwinn. That said our bikes are well made and very durable.

Another example is Apple. While I won't buy Apple products, what they make is good quality and lot of their production is in China.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #49

We just returned from a trip of around 3500 miles with our Eagle Premier with the TM tires still on it. I think we have about 8000 miles all together on it and haven't had any issues with the tires. I keep the proper inflation, speed at 65, and stay off the curbs. I imagine when it is time I will go with something a little better.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #50

We replaces one TM tire in March as it had a huge bubble on it. The inside belt was separating. Then on June 10th we had a blow out on our next trip. We then replaced all four TM. Found that the TM tires we took off our 5th wheel all have signs of belts separating. I tow at 60 to 65mph, always check the psi, do not hit curbs. We have a 2013 Jayco premier 321RLTS with 235/80R/16 tires. We also had damage to the rear slide where the tire blew. Now we have to put up with getting the repairs done, hopefully in a timely manner.
"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #51

Since I commute every day on I-90 I can't help but wonder if those brand new Jayco trailers being towed by Star Transport at 80+ MPH are doing any good to those tires?
Old 07-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #52

This entire thread has been very interesting to read as we have just experienced tire problems. We have had our 2015 Pinnacle 36FBTS for about 2 months and have already had two tire failures. The tires which came on our Pinnacle were RainierST 235/80/R16 with an E rating. Our first tire failure was a ply separation which did not cause damage to our rig, however, the 2nd, which happened just days later, was a blowout and did cause damage to the side of the Pinnacle. I have learned a lot more about tire ratings and issues which can cause tire failures, than I ever thought I might need to know. At this moment, we are considering putting G rated tires on our 5er because of the number of miles we put on every year as well as the fact that we are certainly at or above our gross vehicle weight. We want to insure that we have a load rating that exceeds our needs since we do put so many miles on our rig. My dilemma is that all G rated tires are larger (235/85/R16) and my dealer is trying to find out if we can change from an 80 to an 85 without causing other problems. I am wondering if anyone on this site may have an answer for me or has already made this change without issue.
YooperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #53

I would check the psi for your rims before you put larger heavier tires on them. We have had serious problems with the towmax tires that came on out Eagle Premier 321RLTS (2013). We travel extensively, with many miles. We replaced the bad, and I mean bad tow max tires with goodyear marathons. Because the rims are only rated for 80psi max, we stayed with the 235/80R/16 tire. To go to a larger tire we will have to replace the rims that will allow 110psi per tire, which is the 235/85R/16. We are thinking about buying the better rims so we can put on much better tires. We had one tire (tow max) begin to separate in March when we were in Calif. Took it off and put on the spare and then bought a new spare. Then June 10th we had a blow out in Kansas, which cause damage to the side of the trailer. Bought the goodyear tires at that time for all the wheels. We are now back in Washington state and dealing with insurances for repairs. Just so, you know, when we took off the remaining (three) tow max tires, there were signs of belt separation in them. We could easily have had another blow out if we hadn't changed all the tires.
"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #54
Site Team

My 2011 Eagle came with Marathon tires, went thru 2 sets in 2 years. Separations, blowouts, etc...
My rims are rated for 110 psi and I installed 5 G614's and run them at 100psi.

They are pricy but peace of mind is priceless.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #55

It's very interesting to see reports of failures across many makes of tires, fueling the Governments observations that pressure, speed, and improper weight ratings is the primary contributor.

The more I follow this topic, the more I believe that while manufacturing may contribute somewhat, the large volume of off name brand tires is the root of the volume of problems reported... Proportionately so..

And that more likely is the use of incorrect load range, pressure and speed factors.

My .01

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #56

Simple, and effective fix is to upgrade to the 17.5" rims and H rated tires. Not cheap but neither are repairs. I run a Hi-Spec aluminum wheel rated at 130 psi with Goodyear G114 215/75R/17.5 rubber rated at 4850 lbs and speed rated for 75 mph. I wouldn't spend the money on the G rated upgrade because for only a few hundred dollars more you can have the whole enchilada.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote