Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2013, 02:34 AM   #1

Anyone have a sidewinder?

Would like to hear pros/cons from anyone who tows with one. Does it move the weight to the rear of the truck axle?

Thanks for your help!
2012 jayco Superlite 30.5 RLS:hello:
AZ Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #2

I do not use the Sidewinder, as my P/U has an 8' bed. However, it is my understanding that the Sidewinder creates a secondary trailer pivot point to the rear of the king pin that is hitched in the bed of the truck. This allows the trailer to pivot BEHIND the rear axle on sharp turns without contacting the truck cab. However, the hitch weight of the trailer remains on the king pin, which is still directly over the rear axle. In other words, the Sidewinder pretty much eliminates the need for a slider hitch on a short bed P/U. Hope this helps.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Campers View Post
Would like to hear pros/cons from anyone who tows with one. Does it move the weight to the rear of the truck axle?

Thanks for your help!
I used a Sidewinder for two years on a previous 5th wheel. It worked great with my short bed Ram 2500. It does not shift the weight since the weight remains at the kingpin. It simply changes the pivot point so you can make 90 degree or greater turns with your short bed truck without the camper making contact with the cab of your truck.
hawkdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #4

I am have a Sidewinder and it just moves the pivot point back to the mount, but the weight stays over the truck rear axle. I don't know of any cons, but the pros are the function is full automatic and you have much less weight in the bed of the truck from a slider hitch. A PullRite SuperGlide weighs about 300 lbs vs about 90 lbs for a Reese 16K hitch.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #5

I have a 5-1/2' bed on my F150 and the sidewinder or "Revolution" hitch that came installed on my Jayco HT allows me turn 90 degrees with no interference. The only drawback to it is that it is trickier to get hitched up. There is a steel wedge plate behing the hitch pin that holds the pin box in line with the truck so that the only pivot point is between the pinbox and the rv. The angle of approach and centerline of pin to centerline of hitch has to be right on or it will not connect. It is great in that it allows you to pull a fifth wheel rv with a short bed truck but my next truck will definitely have an 8' bed.
ckdixon is offline   Reply With Quote