Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #1

Are these issues normal wear and tear?

We purchased a 2014 36 ft fifth wheel in 2013. It is not a Jayco and carried a one year warranty. We have had Jayco in the past and really liked it so we had looked at the Eagle and the Pinnacle, but we didn’t see a floor plan we liked in the shorter length. We ended up buying a brand we had bought before but had problems with and believed the hype that the company has improved its quality. Now we aren’t so sure.

We just returned from a 8,500 mile trip. We hit rough roads and torrential downpours and experienced several problems. I am just wondering if they are normal and would happen with any fifth wheel. Our issues included: (1) Water in the underbelly, especially after driving in rain. (2) The living room slideout “D” rubber seal that is attached to the RV actually slid out of the channel and about 4 feet of it was hanging out when we noticed it during a rest stop. The only way to keep it in is to duct tape it. (3) Half of the internal bottom rubber seal on the kitchen slideout has completely ripped off. (4) The door lock broke. (5) The gate valve for one of the holding tanks leaks.

We are seriously considering trading our RV in for the Pinnacle 31RETS. I welcome any comments and recommendations.
Mantygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #2

Sounds like warranty items to me.

Per chance, is it a Keystone product?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #3

The issues you described really are issues that can happen with any make and model. However, they usually do not all happen at once and on the same trip, like yours did. Sounds like you got a rig that was hastily thrown together with poor quality workmanship.
I will say, regarding the previous RV's I have owned, when issues like this pop up, I have logged them in a notebook I keep in my RV and then I make it a habit to check things yearly before the season begins.

My personal opinion: go get the Pinnacle.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #4

I can't answer your questions except to say that those issues don't sound like normal wear and tear to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantygirl View Post
... Our issues included: (1) Water in the underbelly, especially after driving in rain.
Not that you asked...

If the belly cloth is bulged down with the weight of water you should make certain that the floor supports, insulation, etc. above it have not become soaked with water. If it has become soaked, and it is not properly dried out, you are very likely to develop mold in those areas because they are sealed from normal air drying by the belly cloth. Trapped moisture may also cause the OSB/MDF/Particle Board which is so popular in trailers to swell and lose strength.

Good luck. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:55 AM   #5

Thank you all for the comments. Murff, it is a Heartland Bighorn. We love the interior, love the layout, and these problems have really disappointed us.

NVGun40, we plan to start looking at Pinnacle soon.

VicS1950, we inserted a wicking cloth to help drain the underbelly. Just when it stopped dripping, we drove through another rain storm and it is dripping again. Ugh.

Have any of you had soaked underbellies from rain? Our Eagle fifth wheel didn't have the underbelly cloth, and our first Bighorn wasn't towed in the rain so we never experienced this before.
Mantygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantygirl View Post

Have any of you had soaked underbellies from rain? Our Eagle fifth wheel didn't have the underbelly cloth, and our first Bighorn wasn't towed in the rain so we never experienced this before.
The issue to me is that you really don't know where the water is getting in. It could be entering high up and migrating down to drip/collect on the belly cloth. If that is the case then it could be soaking many other things on the way down to where it collects.

I dealt with a Sunline trailer with underside soaked by a fresh water leak. Some detail is here. I learned later that the trailer I repaired is actually a 2007 not a 2003, not that it matters.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ion-18127.html

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:30 AM   #7
Site Team

I had one of those top slide gaskets that "worked" it's way out about a ft on every trip. I ended up putting some clear sealant in the track to anchor it down.
Also had a lower gasket rip. Jayco replaced it under warranty.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote