Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2022, 06:32 AM   #1

Are we getting ripped off?

Hello all. We recently had our 2nd awning go out. We thought it was just a motor replacement. Took it to our dealer and they said the controller (mother board) for the RV, which also linked to the awning was bad and we had to replace the entire thing. They are charging us $2,700 and of course it’s out of warranty. Oddly we got our BMPro Touch Screen (front end) of the system replaced last year (also a few months out of warranty) but now they are getting an error and telling us we have to upgrade that to work with the new controller/board. They were going to add on another $800 (no warranty) but we said No and hung up. They called us back and said they could do it for $150. What? How do you get pricing wrong by 7-fold and that is making me think their $2,700 is a rip off. I’m waiting until Monday when other dealers open to call around for those fixing Jayco to see if they are out of line. Has anyone had this experience or know pricing on something like this to validate what we are experiencing? I hate feeling ripped off but I will call the local news if I have to get this place bad press until they correct their ways………IF they are scamming us! Thank you in advance.
Bighorncats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:10 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorncats View Post
Hello all. We recently had our 2nd awning go out. We thought it was just a motor replacement. Took it to our dealer and they said the controller (mother board) for the RV, which also linked to the awning was bad and we had to replace the entire thing. They are charging us $2,700 and of course it’s out of warranty. Oddly we got our BMPro Touch Screen (front end) of the system replaced last year (also a few months out of warranty) but now they are getting an error and telling us we have to upgrade that to work with the new controller/board. They were going to add on another $800 (no warranty) but we said No and hung up. They called us back and said they could do it for $150. What? How do you get pricing wrong by 7-fold and that is making me think their $2,700 is a rip off. I’m waiting until Monday when other dealers open to call around for those fixing Jayco to see if they are out of line. Has anyone had this experience or know pricing on something like this to validate what we are experiencing? I hate feeling ripped off but I will call the local news if I have to get this place bad press until they correct their ways………IF they are scamming us! Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the new iteration of the service (tertiary) economy, and yes, get a number of second opinions. Service providers, be they, plumber's, electricians, tire centers, dentists, etc., have discovered there's an entire assest class in hustling unsuspecting consumers. Had a plumber out to my daughter's home this past week, $199.00 just to ring the doorbell, then another $99.00 to access the stack on the roof. In five minutes he told me his scope showed a broken drain pipe and no point in trying o clear it but he'd send out a estimator tomorrow, who for only $99.00 would tell me how much they'd charge to repair the broken line. When I said I'd just get a second opinion, from another company, he cleared the line and magically the kitchen sink is draining just fine.
Point is this kid was coached in the upsell, and it's likely that hustle works 9 times in 10, just as it works when your mechanics office calls to say your interior air filter needs changed or a strut needs replaced , or your dentist does Botox as a side hustle or the girl at the checkout is pressured to try and sign you up for a credit card.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:56 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Welcome to the new iteration of the service (tertiary) economy, and yes, get a number of second opinions. Service providers, be they, plumber's, electricians, tire centers, dentists, etc., have discovered there's an entire assest class in hustling unsuspecting consumers. Had a plumber out to my daughter's home this past week, $199.00 just to ring the doorbell, then another $99.00 to access the stack on the roof. In five minutes he told me his scope showed a broken drain pipe and no point in trying o clear it but he'd send out a estimator tomorrow, who for only $99.00 would tell me how much they'd charge to repair the broken line. When I said I'd just get a second opinion, from another company, he cleared the line and magically the kitchen sink is draining just fine.
Point is this kid was coached in the upsell, and it's likely that hustle works 9 times in 10, just as it works when your mechanics office calls to say your interior air filter needs changed or a strut needs replaced , or your dentist does Botox as a side hustle or the girl at the checkout is pressured to try and sign you up for a credit card.

Speaking of upsell, as you said, the practice is alive and well in nearly every industry. I had my F150 at the dealer eariler in the summer for a recall repair. While it was in, the service writer came over, sat down beside me in a chair, and gave me a speech about how I had an unsafe vehicle due to....."Swollen Lug Nuts".. I kid you not, she actually told me that my lugnuts were unsafe and that they would be happy to replace them for me for $20 each. You are readng this correctly.
$480 to replace 24 "Swollen" lug nuts.

So to make a long story short, my reply was to ask exactly what a "Swollen Lug Nut" was. She explained that the chrome caps crack and allow rust underneath. (Sometimes true here in the north east.) Then I asked her to show me the ones that were bad. Her reply "insurance regulations don't allow customers in the shop". Then I said, back it out and lets take a look on the ground in the parking lot. She denied it. Then I asked to see the supposed damaged nuts. She again refused.

So, I then I stood up, walked right over to the parts counter, and asked the parts guy what a single lug nut for my truck would be. His couldn't even look up at me and said "$2.99. Needless to say, that was the end of that conversation.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:27 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Speaking of upsell, as you said, the practice is alive and well in nearly every industry. I had my F150 at the dealer eariler in the summer for a recall repair. While it was in, the service writer came over, sat down beside me in a chair, and gave me a speech about how I had an unsafe vehicle due to....."Swollen Lug Nuts".. I kid you not, she actually told me that my lugnuts were unsafe and that they would be happy to replace them for me for $20 each. You are readng this correctly.

So to make a long story short, my reply was to ask exactly what a "Swollen Lug Nut" was. She explained that the chrome caps crack and allow rust underneath. (Sometimes true here in the north east.) Then I asked her to show me the ones that were bad. Her reply "insurance regulations don't allow customers in the shop". Then I said, back it out and lets take a look on the ground in the parking lot. She denied it. Then I asked to see the supposed damaged nuts. She again refused.

So, I then I stood up, walked right over to the parts counter, and asked the parts guy what a single lug nut for my truck would be. His couldn't even look up at me and said "$2.99. Needless to say, that was the end of that conversation.
Service writers at many dealerships make 6 figures and the positions are highly sought after. Most of them are paid a base salary and then a commission on upsells. Their legal prey was historically women and seniors, but today they've refined their skills to an art and most everyone is susceptible. There's an entire industry built around training plumbers, electricians, A/C tech's, cashiers at retail establishments, oil change and service centers, tire dealers, etc. on how to manipulate customers in the big con. If you ever pick up one of their trade magazines you'll find articles on how to tricks for upselling customers. Unfortunately however too, it works.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:15 PM   #5

The Audi dealership in Bellingham told me that my windshield washer tank is yellowing and it’s time to replace it. I just starred him down then walked away.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorncats View Post
You may want someone near you to examine your camper and provide the second opinion you're seeking... I recommend a certified RV inspector/technician. Do you know someone, or a local mobile technician? Try calling a different dealer and ask for the name of an independent rv serviceman and ask him to stop by.

Alternatively, you can find someone here: https://nrvia.org/locate/ or https://rvtaa.org/locate/ or https://www.thervgeeks.com/mobile-rv-repair/ and also https://www.doityourselfrv.com/searc...v-technicians/
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 05:35 PM   #7

So sad that many feel ripped off. And maybe are. We have a great dealer and had an awning issue that was fixed that same week. We have had jack problems and two replacements under warranty even though the unit is 18 months old. They pointed out that the radio that only has static can be replaced. For free.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 12:58 PM   #8

Update to owner post

I contacted another dealer parts dept who confirmed parts and price. My dealer was $150 higher on parts but said it took over 3 hours to replace awning motor and mother board. Could be possible. As we are headed to pick up the RV I am going to ask for original parts and warranty of 1 year on new parts. Seems fair. If they say they didn’t keep the old parts I will ask how I know they put in new parts? If awning works, I’m good with awning motor but why would entire mother board controller be bad? Will ask for the new serial # to verify part # is new from Jayco and insist on 1 yr warranty. Folks, always ask for old parts, even if you just throw them away to hold them accountable and get more than 1 quote on pricing!!
Bighorncats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:

The F150 lug nuts are cheap pieces of crap that tend to warp over time. You can read all about it on the F150 forum. It becomes a problem if you're stuck on the side of the road with a flat and can't get the dang lug nut off because the tire iron that comes with your truck won't fit.

The dealer was absolutely trying to screw you though. Acting like it is an urgent safety issue and charging $20 per nut is absurd. I wonder what brand the new nuts would have been. I wouldn't be surprised if they put the same OEM ones on.
Oogie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:23 PM   #10
Site Team

Aftermarket solid chrome (or black) are all over the place for about $75 for a complete set, CJ Pony Parts is just one place I get emails from that have them. I'm sure there are a million more.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:

Well-played Moon. Well-played!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:37 PM   #12

Are we getting ripped off?
Yes.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 04:37 AM   #13

Part of getting ripped off is all these fancy displays that control everything. I prefer a manual switch I can test and replace to control stuff. These things beat and slam going down the road messing electronic stuff up.
Old 08-23-2022, 05:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
The Audi dealership in Bellingham told me that my windshield washer tank is yellowing and it’s time to replace it. I just starred him down then walked away.
Man, I miss our Toureg. We had a 2011, and I thought for sure that we wouldn't get caught up in Dieselgate. Alas, we did. We owned it for 6 years, put right at 100K miles on it, and it they wrote us a check for about 65% of what we paid for it originally. In 2017, that was unheard of. Today, that's the norm.

Our VW dealer was fairly diesel inept too, so thank goodness that we never had any engine related issues with it. They were absolutely horrible, though, about filling it with DEF while it was in for service, which was part of what they told us they did. Mamma was not happy when we had to go back, and have them put it in, and she let them know it.

It was still probably the best vehicle that we have ever owned...
Old 08-23-2022, 06:40 AM   #15

This is nothing new. About 15 years ago I had a plumber drop his price by half of the $1800 he quoted to replace a tub faucet.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
This is nothing new. About 15 years ago I had a plumber drop his price by half of the $1800 he quoted to replace a tub faucet.
And you still paid him $900?
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
And you still paid him $900?
Nope. I paid him his trip fee, sent him on his merry way and did it myself. Cost me about $225. Sweating pipes isn't hard, I just didn't want to take time off work to do it. It was leaking, bad, and an emergency situation.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:46 PM   #18

OP I'm glad your getting the situation resolved but that price does seem high but then again I don't know anything about it. The electric awning on my 2012 Eagle is controlled by a rocker switch and has been faithfully working for over 10 years now, although I've had to replace the fabric.
I had a 2005 Excursion that had a small antifreeze leak. Took it to the dealership and was told I needed a new water pump-$900. They told me to bring it back tomorrow. I marked the water pump and took it back in. 4 hours later they said it was done. They pulled it out of the service bay and handed me my keys. I popped the hook and saw my mark on the pump. Went back in and politely confronted the service manager and took him out to see the mark. We went back in and he went to talk to the tech and said there was a mix up in the paperwork yet they gladly took my 900 which was completely refunded plus they gave me 2 free oil changes. I told them to keep their oil changes and that I would never return. The antifreeze problem was simply a loose upper radiator hose clamp.
I old enough to remember when people took pride in an honest days work.
Now it seems like it's who can screw who over the most.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 03:43 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
OP I'm glad your getting the situation resolved but that price does seem high but then again I don't know anything about it. The electric awning on my 2012 Eagle is controlled by a rocker switch and has been faithfully working for over 10 years now, although I've had to replace the fabric.
I had a 2005 Excursion that had a small antifreeze leak. Took it to the dealership and was told I needed a new water pump-$900. They told me to bring it back tomorrow. I marked the water pump and took it back in. 4 hours later they said it was done. They pulled it out of the service bay and handed me my keys. I popped the hook and saw my mark on the pump. Went back in and politely confronted the service manager and took him out to see the mark. We went back in and he went to talk to the tech and said there was a mix up in the paperwork yet they gladly took my 900 which was completely refunded plus they gave me 2 free oil changes. I told them to keep their oil changes and that I would never return. The antifreeze problem was simply a loose upper radiator hose clamp.
I old enough to remember when people took pride in an honest days work.
Now it seems like it's who can screw who over the most.
Can't come close to counting the litany of complaints that a fiver hitch won't lower, an awning won't retract, an a/c won't come on, a slide won't come in, because there's a software problem in something, somewhere. It may just be me, but never once have I pressed the rocker for my awning or adjusted my thermostat, or used a key to unlock my door and thought "That was so difficult, I must have burned at least 1.5 calories, I wish someone would invent an app so it would be easier".
Old 08-23-2022, 05:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Can't come close to counting the litany of complaints that a fiver hitch won't lower, an awning won't retract, an a/c won't come on, a slide won't come in, because there's a software problem in something, somewhere. It may just be me, but never once have I pressed the rocker for my awning or adjusted my thermostat, or used a key to unlock my door and thought "That was so difficult, I must have burned at least 1.5 calories, I wish someone would invent an app so it would be easier".
Agree 100%

Tags
awning, bmpro, mother board, rip-off