Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2023, 05:03 PM   #1

Asking All Siesmic Owners

Just starting our RV adventure. My wife and are going to purchase a new Toy Hauler very soon. I’m down to 2 finalists, one being the Seismic 4113 and one from a different manufacturer. If you guys that own Seismics would be kind enough share your good and bad lists before I pull the trigger I’d greatly appreciate it. One more RV show to touch and feel at the end of this week. Then we’ll make our final decision.
Jimmy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:13 PM   #2

Owner of a 2018 4113, so have some experience with that particular model.

Good -
- floorplan is good for family
- having a separate bedroom space with a door/bathroom for daughter has worked out great
- cargo area is very flexible space usage wise - we often use it as the dining room - bedroom upstairs. bikes, etc. when just me and wife
- very functional kitchen, lots of storage
- great storage space having two distinct basement areas
- core chassis seems to be pretty solid - no frame or structure issues thus far
- super stable on the road being a triple axle
- actual plywood flooring, not foam core floors
- large super slide, lots of room
- comes with good tires, suspension, hitch to begin with
- lots of A/C power - once I cleaned up the ducts, no challenges keeping it cool even in summer at the beach, and mine is the prior model with the dark exterior.
- outside kitchen box is really handy, use it all the time
- new ones have hydraulic jacks - way better than prior electric jacks

Bad -
- thing is huge, so have to plan ahead for reservations. cannot fit in lots of places such as older parks. Often end up staying at 'resorts' to have an adequate site
- whoever they had installing fixtures and trim was pretty much useless
- various installation issues that I ended up fixing myself - fridge venting, shower plumbing, dishwasher plumbing leaking, washing machine plumbing leaking, heat ducting not taped up properly, A/C ducting needed cleanup up to flow well
- stupid assembly problems, such as only one axle had the brakes wired up
- venting for fuel tanks was installed wrong
- sawdust everywhere. seriously, even the inside of the power transfer box was full of sawdust.
- crappy to reverse/park being a long triple axle
- large super slide - keep the system lubed properly, etc.
- coroplast not buttoned up correctly at rear or trailer, leaving a huge open gap at leading edge of fuel tanks, so all the 'heat' to the underbelly went right out over the tank. Easy to fix with some reflective insulation, about $5 in materials, just another stupid install issue.
- needed to add more reflective insulation in underbelly area - another easy, cheap, time consuming thing
- patio and rear ramp door not well sealed, had to re-do around edges to keep water out

That said, most of the 'bad' you are going to experience with most every brand these days. Momentums are full of stupid issues too now, for example. Most all the bad for me was install issues I could fix, just irritating and time consuming to have to do so, as warranty efforts were comically bad by the dealer (dealer issue).

Once I sorted those items out, it is a super comfortable unit. Wife loves it. We stay in it 2-3 weeks at a time and do not feel cramped.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:17 PM   #3

so, upshots is do a spanish inquisition style pre-purchase checklist - review everything at least twice. Some places have facilities to camp there overnight - do so - to get the punch list sorted out.

Also, I sort of regret not getting the dual-pane windows. much better thermal mgmt, especially in the cold. Only real thing I would change with ours.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 06:11 AM   #4

Thank you sir! I appreciate the insight. Plan A was move to Florida. That got nixed now we are 95% to the finish line with Plan B. Florida is too far from the Grandkids. I’m thinking this the perfect unit for us. While huge, it has the room for the for our sons family and looks like the perfect unit for our daughter’s horse shows which would be 2 or 3 day boondocking trips.

Being retired, I’ll have the time to tweak and tinker so that’s a good thing. I’ve read some horror stories but I think those are isolated incidents true of all manufacturers.

I really do appreciate and value your opinion. Thank you!
Jimmy P is offline   Reply With Quote