Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2020, 08:30 PM   #1
jsk

Auto Level 3.0

Since we bought our North Point we have had random auto level failures among other things. While it was at factory getting crack fixed Jayco investigated and found no problems. Tonight I auto leveled on a level surface and this happened. There were no blocks under any leg.

The following 2 pics were after hitting auto level.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7114.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	55822

Name:	IMG_7116.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	55823

The screen flashed successful. When I saw mid jack several inches from ground I hit auto level again. The next pic shows leg extended and there was success.

Name:	IMG_7117.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	55824

Does anybody have any ideas why this happened? In the past I have hit auto level twice because the first time it faults. I can clear fault, hit auto level , and achieve success.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:50 AM   #2

Others will chime in but I always use blocks under my jacks, the less they have to come down the more stable your fiver. Are you hook up to power or are you just using your batteries?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:32 AM   #3

Did you calibrate the system to level? Rear sensor loose? Control module loose?

You setting the landing gear legs so the trailer can dip below level during auto leveling? If not, that will screw it all to hell.

Always use blocks under all jacks. Will eliminate out of stroke issues and make it more stable.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #4
jsk

On shore power. I use blocks at campsites but not at home. I don’t think a block would have made a difference with middle jack not going down the first time but going down the second time. I plan to do a zero calibration. My system has given me a fit after about the first year.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:20 AM   #5
jsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Did you calibrate the system to level? Rear sensor loose? Control module loose?

You setting the landing gear legs so the trailer can dip below level during auto leveling? If not, that will screw it all to hell.

Always use blocks under all jacks. Will eliminate out of stroke issues and make it more stable.

Earl

Just saw this. System is calibrated. To clear confusion the left middle jack came down and leveled. The right middle moved a few inches and stopped. It continued after hitting auto level the second time. When unhooking and before hitting auto level I do make sure the units is nose high.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #6

What Earl said

I start with two blocks under the front gear and adjust the legs to 4” from them. That way, after they lift the rig high enough to unhook without the truck springing up, there is range of motion left for the rig to bow and curtsy before raising to level.

The above should help you be set so that the auto-hitch height should work as well.

Then two blocks under each of the other four jacks, and a third anywhere the ground is lower after eyeballing the site. Remember the center jacks come down only after the rig is level to just stabilize, so don’t make them travel too far.

Then I keep a bubble level in the kitchen drawer and check it on the island counter since I’ve already checked that it is level to the floor.

I’ve found that with this routine I don’t error out anymore.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk View Post
Just saw this. System is calibrated. To clear confusion the left middle jack came down and leveled. The right middle moved a few inches and stopped. It continued after hitting auto level the second time. When unhooking and before hitting auto level I do make sure the units is nose high.
On a few occasions, I too have had the stabilizer (middle) jacks stop after just going a few inches while auto leveling. Hit auto level again and they will do their thing. Have no idea what could cause that. BTY, I never use blocks unless I'm on a very unlevel site. I have Snap Pads on my jacks which adds a small amount of height but have had problems not using blocks.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:39 PM   #8

It looks to me like you've hit max extension on the middle jacks. At that point the load on the motors goes high and the controller thinks they've contacted the ground. Since these provide stabilization instead of leveling, it simply completes the last extension of the corners and ends successfully. Do you ever pull the pins and extend the pad tubes? I can tell you that on mine, regardless of the amount of extension or blocks I use on the corners, I must extend the center jacks because they start farther away from the ground.

It's always possible they're not fully extended but the jacks have a rough spot on the threads that has the same effect.

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote