Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #1

Auto level not working

We got to our destination after dark yesterday, unhitched, hit auto level, it started doing its thing, then stopped and it gave me the blinking red light (signaling error). Only option was to retract all. After doing the same thing several times, I hooked back up and moved the camper a bit. This is a really nice park, concrete pads, top notch facility. Even after moving the camper, same thing keeps happening. It was level enough for us to sleep last night. The front and rear jacks are down. The middle/side jacks are not down. Any advice or ideas out there as to what is going on. There is now an error message for right rear jack jacks fault. I can either retract all or manually adjust the other jacks.

Thanks in advance
David
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #2

Try blocks under the jacks. Make sure the landing is down 5 or so inches before you drop the extension legs. Perform a calibration if needed. It's important the jacks don't over stroke and that the trailer can dip below level on the front when the auto level is pressed.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #3

If the leveling sensor came loose it will also cause that kind of error. Several have had that happen because of the bouncing.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
We got to our destination after dark yesterday, unhitched, hit auto level, it started doing its thing, then stopped and it gave me the blinking red light (signaling error). Only option was to retract all. After doing the same thing several times, I hooked back up and moved the camper a bit. This is a really nice park, concrete pads, top notch facility. Even after moving the camper, same thing keeps happening. It was level enough for us to sleep last night. The front and rear jacks are down. The middle/side jacks are not down. Any advice or ideas out there as to what is going on. There is now an error message for right rear jack jacks fault. I can either retract all or manually adjust the other jacks.

Thanks in advance
David
Auto level is pretty convenient when it's working and not that great when it's not. I've run into a few issues with our 4 point system before but we've managed through it. Good advice so far...
* Have 6" or more on the front landing gear down (manual pin) before using the auto level to give it room to unhitch and adjust.
* Blocks under the landing gear at all points helps. Height depends on where you park.
* Find the most level parking spot you can. Concrete pads preferred as dirt and grass have a lot of give - thus the need for blocks. (we use those lego blocks)
* Shore power is recommended for most situations if possible as it provides power to the battery. Batteries low on power can cause problems with everything.
* Most auto level system have LED or LCD displays that tell you what the issue is but you may have to refer to the manual or video for details.

Good Luck!
Old 04-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #5

The re-set procedure for the auto level system from Lippert.
Support pin box on hitch, manually retract all jacks,
extend all jacks 6",
retract all jacks,
shut board off,
turn board power on and drop front jacks and then hit auto level.

I have these instructions laminated and placed by my wired control box due to the frequency of it needing to be performed!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
The re-set procedure for the auto level system from Lippert.
Support pin box on hitch, manually retract all jacks,
extend all jacks 6",
retract all jacks,
shut board off,
turn board power on and drop front jacks and then hit auto level.

I have these instructions laminated and placed by my wired control box due to the frequency of it needing to be performed!
Wow, mine hasn't needed anything but a calibration as I didn't care for the factory "level". That's after two years of twice a month trips April through end of Nov.

Earl
Old 04-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #7

Can I ask a stupid question? Here's the situation. Rig is leveled. Ready to hitch up. You hit hitch level and it retracts all legs except front landing gear that moves to the previous hitch disconnect level? What happens if it does not recognize previous hitch level? Do you have to manually retract the back four to be able to raise front to hitch up? Can you tell I'm a newbie?
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Can I ask a stupid question? Here's the situation. Rig is leveled. Ready to hitch up. You hit hitch level and it retracts all legs except front landing gear that moves to the previous hitch disconnect level? What happens if it does not recognize previous hitch level? Do you have to manually retract the back four to be able to raise front to hitch up? Can you tell I'm a newbie?
Mine did that 1 time. I moved to "retract rear" and it retracted all 4 rear jacks & then I manually raised the front to rehitch.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Yes, you should raise the rear jacks before raising the front if hitch level is disabled. Usually it's disabled from manually adjusting after it auto levels. It may be disabled if an error occurred.

Earl