Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
MM2

Auto level Question

Hi all, not new to RVing but new to 5th wheel with auto level. After leveling I discover the at the tire on one side of the trailing axle is completely off the ground. My question is this going to harm or damage something? Like I said new system to me and I don't know if this is normal or if I should be concerned.
MM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #2

Some people may be concerned i am not one of them. If the spot i am in is un level enough to lift the tires off the ground on one side it does not bother me at all. I even used my auto level to lift the unit off the tires when I greased the bearings.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #3

First off welcome. What 5th wheel do you have? If you go by what the manufacture says, can't quote chapter and verse, but they do not recommend having the wheels not contacting the ground when leveling. In an unlevel spot I try to get it as level as possible, size to side, by putting boards under the low side wheels. As a result you will likely have to put blocks under the jacks or you'll receive an error message for out of stroke as it tries to level. That's been my experience and my input to answer your question.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #4

Happens to us often. I don’t usually put anything under the tires to level first unless it’s glaringly obvious that it’s a very uneven surface. Kind of negates having auto level. I do always put blocks under the jacks to avoid out of stroke errors. There’s so little flex to the suspension it doesn’t take a very uneven surface to get a wheel or two airborne/barely touching ground. I too have used it to get a tire off.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #5

Get some Andersen Levelers for those situations where need to
elevate the tires to level - they work well with our fifth wheel.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar57 View Post
First off welcome. What 5th wheel do you have? If you go by what the manufacture says, can't quote chapter and verse, but they do not recommend having the wheels not contacting the ground when leveling. In an unlevel spot I try to get it as level as possible, size to side, by putting boards under the low side wheels. As a result you will likely have to put blocks under the jacks or you'll receive an error message for out of stroke as it tries to level. That's been my experience and my input to answer your question.
x2
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote