Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #1

Auto Level while hitched to TV?

OK, We have LCI 4 point Ground Control 3.0 Auto Level system. It works great and have no problems with it. Makes life simple!

Have any of you used the auto level system while still hitched to you TV? I know it’s a bit lazy but if we just want to stop for a couple hours, or have an early departure without disturbing fellow campers and still want to get to our kitchen, not just the fridge. I’ve been warned to never extend the slides without the trailer being level.

I’ve read the manual and watched their videos, searched this site and can’t find anything. Any of you tried this or have any experience, I’m a bit gun shy to try it myself.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #2

I would be scared to try it hook up. I tow about a 1/2 nose down so when I just stop for the night I let the front legs down to level and them put rears down manually. I leave centers up.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #3

I don't think that would be a good idea, the height of the pin box when the camper is level may be significantly lower than the height of the hitch in your truck which would put alot of stress on both the pin box and the suspension of your truck. Also, took this right from the LCI manual found here (https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001519.pdf)........

Unhitching Instructions
Note: Prior to unhitching from the tow vehicle, ensure trailer is parked on a level surface and chock the tires of the
trailer.
1. Extend the inner legs of both front jacks (landing gear)to within 4-5" of the ground by pulling on the quickrelease pins.
2. Open the OneControl App.
3. Press the "Leveler" icon.
4. The screen will show the system menu (Fig. 4) for Standard Mode.
5. Push "Extend" (Fig. 4I) and "FRONT" buttons (Fig. 4) to extend front jacks and lift front of trailer to take the weight of the trailer off of the hitch.
6. Uncouple the trailer connection on the tow vehicle.
7. Pull tow vehicle away and park at a safe distance.

Auto Level
1. After unhitching from the tow vehicle and parking the vehicle at a safe distance away from the trailer, open
the OneControl App and then press “AUTO LEVEL” (Fig. 4J).
Note: Once the automatic leveling cycle has been started, it is important that there is no movement in the trailer until the trailer has completed the leveling process. Failure to remain still during the leveling cycle could have an effect on the performance of the leveling system.
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:44 PM   #4

I never thought of the trailer basically pushing down on the back of the truck and loading the hitch. I was thinking, if that was a fixed point and the software recognized that, it would compensate and level accordingly. This would be assuming it a slightly un-level spot, nothing drastic. I can’t imagine that left to right would be an issue cause the hitch is in the center. But if the back was out more than a couple inches either way, then no go. But if it was a parking lot slop, maybe.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 08-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #5

I would never use the auto level when hitched. Only manual control.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:50 PM   #6

I also would never use the auto levelers while hitched up. Even if the rv was level to begin with...

To make it worse, I tow a little nose high, the auto levelers would probably need to lift the tires nearly off the ground to get it level.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:12 AM   #7

We have stopped over night and stayed hitched. Run fronts down and just touch. Run rears down and just touch. Need to be pretty level spot to begin with or add wood leveller pieces. Never run autolevel hitched. Our rig and truck run down road level. Air bags on truck aired up to ensure that.
You will destroy the screws and blocks inside the jacks if you run auto level. They are not meant to lift truck too.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
I’ve been warned to never extend the slides without the trailer being level.
I have never worried about this. I have opened my slides in many parking lots, rest stops, etc while traveling and I don't level in those situations.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #9

We just lower the front landing gear and then extend the slides when connected. I would be careful even with operating the rear levers. You might find to reach level, the tires on your rig might be off the ground or close to it.
It could cause a positive camber flex on the frame (slim-track appliance slides have very close tolerances), and that could cause problems with the operation.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #10

We've wanted to stay hitched overnight so we stayed hitched, and just put the landing gear down to touch. Just to stabilize movement somewhat. It did make things easier in the morning when we left in the dark.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #11

Thanks everybody for the replies and advice. Sounds like the lazy solution is not the way to go. As you have pointed out, it could go bad in a couple different directions. I’ll just place a bubble Level on the kitchen island and do it manually.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 08-20-2019, 06:56 PM   #12

We have done it before. If the 5er is fairly level when you tow, and the site is fairly level, you'll be fine. The camper moves relatively little. In our case, leveling the camper certainly didn't push down on the truck any more then it already was but like I said, it was pretty level to start with.

Dave

2018 Ford F350 6.7 SRW
2018 Jayco North Point 315RLTS
dkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkegel View Post
We have done it before. If the 5er is fairly level when you tow, and the site is fairly level, you'll be fine. The camper moves relatively little. In our case, leveling the camper certainly didn't push down on the truck any more then it already was but like I said, it was pretty level to start with.

Dave
This works for us:

Assuming your close to level: If 5th wheel is nose high, add blocks to trailer wheels. If 5th wheel is nose low,add blocks to rear of TV. No Auto Level. Run jacks down only to stabilize. Sure helps with the morning departure.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:16 AM   #14

I wouldn't do it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #15

If we are at a pretty level sight...we lower the front and back feet and raise hitch on the 5th wheel just a bit (don't unhitch) to relieve pressure on the truck. Have never had any problems doing that. Also, open the slide in the kitchen just enough to be able to open the refrigerator to make lunches while we are traveling. No problems there either.
W Kearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #16

Guess you didn't read the instructions. Bad news if you if you don't have shear pins for the front jacks, Ground Control can lift the whole 5r/RV off the ground to get it level (the weight of the TV could cause the shear pins to shear). Most important is chock the RV wheels and unhook the emergency brake cable before unhooking (if you run the battery too low Ground Control won't work - good luck trying to unhitch - Oh plug in the shore power, saves the day).
DJsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJsFolly View Post
Guess you didn't read the instructions. Bad news if you if you don't have shear pins for the front jacks, Ground Control can lift the whole 5r/RV off the ground to get it level (the weight of the TV could cause the shear pins to shear). Most important is chock the RV wheels and unhook the emergency brake cable before unhooking (if you run the battery too low Ground Control won't work - good luck trying to unhitch - Oh plug in the shore power, saves the day).
During our PDI for our North Point, the inner legs of one of the landing gears sheared a pin. Scared the hell out of us and the tech. The problem was that the pin was not all the way in the other side. Just the very tip was protruding. The pin has to be all the way through to equalize the load.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:20 PM   #18

Auto level

Hi you are asking if you can auto level while attached to tow vehicle. And is no. 1. It’s unsafe 2. Manual level. 3. Think about this as long as wheels are chocked for safety. I mean all 4 tires if applicable. When you have been to any RV sales dealerships have you ever seen any size make style long or short ever ever had the front and rear levelers down? I’m sure you have walked in and out of many. And all slides were put whether 1,2,3,or 4 slides and they sit like this for weeks and sometimes months. So my point is as long as wheels are properly chocked. Open those slides while attached to your tow vehicle. One over night resting before your early morning departure isn’t going to hurt your rig nor hurt your fridge. My goodness all the crappie pot hole roads in the US believe me does more damage to your Tow vehicle and RV than being a little un level than while trying to get a little shut eye for the following road adventure. Just my 2$
JimM86 is offline   Reply With Quote