Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #1

Auto Leveler - Jack Fault Error

2019 Jayco 317RLOK model.

I've had the "Auto Level" feature not work 2 times for me thus far. It states to correct it you must reset the jack fault. To do this, you have to "Retract ALL jacks". Not good idea if you've already unhitched from your truck.

When it happened to me just this last week, I called dealership. He said easiest thing to do was to rehitch to truck, retract all, and that should "reboot" the Auto Level feature. Which it did. When it's 95 degrees outside and you're trying hard to get set up quickly and get AC going, that wasn't FUN! Automation is awesome but when it doesn't work??? Major problem.

Anyway, my concern is I guess I need to know how to MANUALLY level our 5th wheel in case we have NO power or this happens again and Auto Level doesn't fix itself.

Do you just put into Manual mode and extend each jack independently and use a leveler to ensure rig is level?

Just wondered if this has occurred to anyone else and what you did.
Thanks
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #2

We have had the same issue with our seismic if you look closely on your display pad it will say press the up and down arrows to move between auto and manual press enter and then it will take you to a different sub menu and which you can move each leg independently that's the only manual way I know of
Seismic Owners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #3

When we get errors it is usually "Out of stroke". Ours is the Lippert Ground control 3.0. When this happens, the front and rear jacks have gone down and the centers stay up. Usually the rig is with a few tenths of a degree of level according to the panel or the app on my phone. If we know we are travlling again soon, we just leave it and accept that we will feel a bit more shaking when we move around or run the clothes washer. I slap by carpenter's level on the kitchen island and check that it's level enough to run the slides. You can manually run the front and rear jacks with the panel or app, but not the centers.

The secret sauce we have found for successful auto level (and thanks for the tips from this forum) is to use more leggo blocks under the pads so that each leg will have a greater range of motion available to it before it runs out of stroke.

We start with at least two under the front jacks and lower the the legs an identical number of notches until they are about 3" from the pads. If the ground is uneven and the jacks are not going to contact at the same time, throw another block under the low one.
We add three blocks under the rear and centers, and again, add another to the low side if the site is not level. They should all hit about the same time to give them a fighting chance.
This seems to work best.

Another thing that Joan has noticed after observing the constant parade of transients coming and going in our park and taking copious notes: The whole process seems to work better with a beer in your hand.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
To do this, you have to "Retract ALL jacks". Not good idea if you've already unhitched from your truck.
You can Retract all when unhitched. I've had to do it before.

Dave
dkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkegel View Post
You can Retract all when unhitched. I've had to do it before.

Dave

There’s a dealer near me that parks their customers stored units in the open lot for customers to pick up. They often lower them to the ground. May be a theft deterrent.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #6

WHAT? You can retract ALL unhitched??
Sorry but that scares the heck out of me! I'm afraid our 37' 5th wheel will top over!
How big is your rig?
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
WHAT? You can retract ALL unhitched??
Sorry but that scares the heck out of me! I'm afraid our 37' 5th wheel will top over!
How big is your rig?
Our North Point is 39'. Why would it topple over? It's still on all 4 wheels and the front jacks. The jacks don't "disappear".

Dave
dkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #8

I have always put 6 inch blocks under the rear 4 jacks no matter how much distance is between the jack and the ground....have never had a jack fault or error....the stroke of the jacks are limited to about 10-12 inches before they cause an error....
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkegel View Post
Our North Point is 39'. Why would it topple over? It's still on all 4 wheels and the front jacks. The jacks don't "disappear".

Dave

So the jacks would just retract all the way and the nose of your 5er is just really low. I realize that you probably extended them some so they will not be in the travel position.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:48 AM   #10

First of all how many batteries do you have and if you have one battery you need two?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:42 AM   #11

I don't think the 4" ground clearance between the hitched height and the retract all height is much...

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote