Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

Auto leveling on 2017

Hello,
I've been reading up on the lippert electric auto leveling, also known as ground control. We are looking at ordering a 2017/18 Eagle 293RKDS. I have read that the latest version of 3.0 have come a long way.
Is there still issues with the latest builds? My current trailer has lippert hydraulic level-up and we love it. Most of the issues I'm reading seems to be the older versions. I did find some late builds having issues with the rear sensor not properly mounted from the factory.
I had level-up installed aftermarket by lippert. Unfortunately I gave my original hydraulic pump and landing gear to a friend or I'd pull the whole system off before trading. But I can pull everything but the landing and the hydraulic pump. So if the electric system is crap, I will have half of the leve-up to keep costs down.

Thanks,
Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #2

It works great on my rig and I have had no issues. I would order it again..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2016, 09:05 AM   #3

I should mention we camp in state parks and fields. So we never have a level site. Often we'll have tires off the ground on one side with the level-up. Just concerned if the electric system will perform the same.

Thanks,
Earl
Old 10-31-2016, 09:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
It works great on my rig and I have had no issues. I would order it again..

Thanks! Will it level to the point of lifting wheels off the ground?

Earl
Old 10-31-2016, 09:06 AM   #5

I have no issues and I am a big fan.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #6

Yes, but I try not to put it in that situation. But it's strong enough to lift the wheels off the ground.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:07 AM   #7

Earl,

The only significant issue I have seen reported with any regularity with the Lippert system is certain longer floorplans such as the Northpoint 377 RLBH equipped with the six point system have minimal clearance with the very rear set of jacks when they are retracted. It's been reported here several times that some guys are having issues with dragging the rear jacks.

While my rig is nearly as long I only have the four point system and my rear-most jacks are right behind the rear wheels and I have not had any clearance issues at all.

When I ordered my rig I did push Jayco to try to get them to install the six point system and in hindsite I'm really glad they would not do it as it likely would have caused some clearance issues for me as well.

Again, I've had zero issues with mine and am really glad I have it. I would not want to go back to a manual system at this point.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #8

The 293 is 4 point and like said, the rear jacks are directly behind the tires. My 4 point hydraulic level-up has the jack in the same position and height. I don't see any clearance issues and I've had none on my current trailer of 8 years.

Earl
Old 10-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
The 293 is 4 point and like said, the rear jacks are directly behind the tires. My 4 point hydraulic level-up has the jack in the same position and height. I don't see any clearance issues and I've had none on my current trailer of 8 years.

Earl
I wasn't sure and just wanted to help you avoid a potentially dissapointing problem. I was kind of ticked that I couldn't get the six point system, but in the end it was a blessing
Old 10-31-2016, 10:43 AM   #10

Quote:
I wasn't sure and just wanted to help you avoid a potentially dissapointing problem. I was kind of ticked that I couldn't get the six point system, but in the end it was a blessing
I appreciate! My current trailer was too short and lippert wouldn't put on the 6 point system either so had to go with the 4 point.
The electric 6 sounds nice but unfortunately the extra two jacks don't level, they only come down after level to help stabilize. Whether they do much, I don't know.
I can special order my 293 with the rear electric stabilizers as well. They are standard without the auto level but not included with the auto level. My current trailer has the rear stabilizers and definitely improve the stability of the trailer. Especially when the wheels are off the ground on one side.

Earl
Old 11-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #11

Then to be clear, is it still a no-no if one is in a non level site to NOT have the leveling system lift a wheel off the ground???
We may be getting the 293rkds and and very curious.
Thanks for verification.
2002 Chev Silverado, 8.1, Allison, 4x4, 3.73
Crew cab, long bed
at the moment a 2016 Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOOOOO Montana State University BOBCATS
Msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #12

I have wheels off the ground almost always with my current trailer with lippert hydraulic 4 point auto level-up. If the system can't or you aren't suppose to have wheels off the ground for leveling than it is absolutely worthless to me. I don't camp in resorts or public campgrounds, so I never have an area even remotely level. I camp in state parks and fields.
When parked at home and leveled, my road side wheels are a good 5 inches off the ground.

Earl
Old 11-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #13

Last Saturday we thoroughly checked out a 17 293. They had it plugged in to shore power but no battery. The converter didn't have enough amps to run the jacks so I couldn't play with the auto leveling and put it through some tests. I will though before pulling the trigger on a ordered unit.

Earl
Old 11-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
I have wheels off the ground almost always with my current trailer with lippert hydraulic 4 point auto level-up. If the system can't or you aren't suppose to have wheels off the ground for leveling than it is absolutely worthless to me. I don't camp in resorts or public campgrounds, so I never have an area even remotely level. I camp in state parks and fields.
When parked at home and leveled, my road side wheels are a good 5 inches off the ground.

Earl
The reason I ask is because with our present Cougar 5th Wheel they say absolutely NO.
2002 Chev Silverado, 8.1, Allison, 4x4, 3.73
Crew cab, long bed
at the moment a 2016 Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOOOOO Montana State University BOBCATS
Msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #15

The system on my 355 is more than capable of lifting all the wheels off the ground. However, I don't see Lippert/Jayco endorsing this simply because it opens up a potential liability should a darwin award candidate decide to do something stupid.

If one or more of my wheels ends up off the ground I don't worry about it. It is what it is. I don't know that I'd trust my life to it and do work on the frame using only the jacks supporting the rig, but again that's just common sense when working on anything heavy.

With all that said, and knowing that there is some verbage in the owners manual, my Jayco dealer has a lot that has been having some work done on it. It is less than level terrain,many of his fifth wheels that have at least one wheel off the ground.

Like I said, its a much easier position for Lippert/Jayco to just say not to do it and take the safe road rather than try to predict what every idiot could possibly come up with and translate that into verbiage that the common person could understand and still make the attorneys happy.

Like I posted earlier I really like the system and as has been posted many times here before it works great as long as you work with it and stay within some reasonable limits regarding the stroke of the jacks and using blocks to increase it when necessary.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #16

4 or 6??

Quote:
Earl,

The only significant issue I have seen reported with any regularity with the Lippert system is certain longer floorplans such as the Northpoint 377 RLBH equipped with the six point system have minimal clearance with the very rear set of jacks when they are retracted. It's been reported here several times that some guys are having issues with dragging the rear jacks.

While my rig is nearly as long I only have the four point system and my rear-most jacks are right behind the rear wheels and I have not had any clearance issues at all.

When I ordered my rig I did push Jayco to try to get them to install the six point system and in hindsite I'm really glad they would not do it as it likely would have caused some clearance issues for me as well.

Again, I've had zero issues with mine and am really glad I have it. I would not want to go back to a manual system at this point.
Just curious what is a 4 and what is a 6 point system??

I guess you don't count the front landing gear??

I had thought the system with 4 jacks and 2 landing gear were a 6 point system.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
Just curious what is a 4 and what is a 6 point system??

I guess you don't count the front landing gear??

I had thought the system with 4 jacks and 2 landing gear were a 6 point system.
Yes the front landing gear count. The four point system has the front landing gear and two right behind the rear wheels.

The six point system has the landing gear, a set of levelers at the extreme rear corners of the coach and two stabilizers that deploy in between after the coach is levelled.

Technically speaking they are all only 4 points doing the actual levelling, but the addition of the two stabilizers and the position of the rear levellers distinguishes the 6 point from the 4 point.

Hope that clarifies it better.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:47 AM   #18

On my Pinnacle there is front landing gear, jacks in front of front wheels & jacks right behind rear wheels........
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
On my Pinnacle there is front landing gear, jacks in front of front wheels & jacks right behind rear wheels........

I see. I wish they had done that on the Eagles. I'm guilty of assuming they were all similar in location. I got to walk through a Pinnacle the other day and they are very nice. Quite a step up in trim levels.... someday when I grow up all the way... lol
Old 11-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #20

Our 2017 Eagle 28.5 HT BHXB does not have the lippert auto leveler. When we were at the RV dealer shopping ours, I spoke with the service manager. He was not a fan due to the number of reliability issues, which was enough reason for me to choose a unit without that option.