Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

Auto Slide Hitch?

I'm still looking at hitches and have come up with one that i haven't heard a lot about on here, the auto slide hitch. One I have seen is from Pullright and the other I saw was from Hijacker. Any thoughts or comments?
What about the weight one comment I heard was it takes 3 people to place it in the truck the other was about a special plate that means you can't tow regular 5th wheel and trailer can't be towed by anyone else?

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #2

I've had a Pullrite Superglide hitch since 2008 and found that it makes towing easier and less stressful than not having an auto-slider, especially in tight situations, as in at an unknown fuel stop. My Pullrite hitch has performed flawlessly.

Others will tell you that auto sliders are not needed, even in short bed pickups; for them, that works, but for me an auto-slider is necessary.

The hitch is heavy. I think that two strong people could get it up into the bed of a truck. But I use a chain hoist to get it into/out of my truck and can do it by myself easily.

There is a capture plate that is attached to your fifth wheel pin. It makes a firm connection between your pin and the hitch head, so that when you turn the trailer pivots on the rails of the hitch and not at the pin; this is what makes the hitch slide. Most capture plates can be removed with a few bolts and screws if it becomes necessary for a non-Pullrite slider hitch to tow your trailer; there is also a Pullrite adapter that makes it possible for a non-Pullrite slider hitch to connect to a capture plate equipped pin and still pivot and tow the trailer. It is quite true that a Pullrite slider hitch must connect to a trailer that has an installed capture plate.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #3

Ga day Pete, what's happening in the Frew? Back in 2008 I was thinking of an auto slider to replace our Reese 16 k manual slider and found the Hijacker and it was originally a Canadian made product from B.C.. It was on the web site of the original owner of the product and it was hard to find locally. An RV Dealership in Peterborough was the closest. I talked to them on the phone only. I liked the fact that there was no capture plate. However at that time the bed rails were different and that of course added to the cost so we didn't buy it.
If your getting prices try Stittsville Trailers, Orville has good prices and is very honest. Seeing as the hitches are now sold by Demco they might be easier to access and Stittsville Trailers might be a supplier.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #4

Pete, believe it or not, I also had a Pullrite superglide 4100 and while very heavy to manage alone, it worked well. Like RVHiker, I needed a hoist to get it in and out. Sold the hitch with my F150 but I still have the Mor/Ryde capture plate and the conversion plate.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #5

I have a super glide. Love it. Short bed truck and my 5er fully clears a 90 degree pivot.

I bought an electric winch for about $100 and hang it from the garage celing beam and use it to load/ unload the hitch for each trip. The hitch must weight about 150 lbs

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:44 AM   #6

The combined weight of the 4100 Slider plus SuperRail under-bed mounting kit and capture plate I had was over 250 lbs. It ain't light by any stretch but it was an excellent hitch.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 AM   #7

So the Pullrite Superslide does not break down into two pieces for easier removal? On my standard 16k Reese, the hitch head could be removed from the slider base making it ALOT easier to remove with one person. I'm getting ready to buy a new hitch and was considering the Curt manual slider, but I have also considered the PR. With the 88 degree front cap on our new 5'er I'm not sure I would really need the auto setup.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:40 PM   #8

Yes, you can remove the hitch head and that helps some but you're still looking at around 150 lbs (if memory serves me).

Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 PM   #9

When I was looking at hitches, I found the hitches that are made to drop into the "pucks" that come on the Ford factory installed system were quite expensive. After some emails to Reese, at their suggestion I bought the #30156 adapter that drops into the pucks, then bought the 30855 16k hitch. Or, any other standard hitch will fit this adapter, according to Reese. Nice thing about this is the adapter weighs about 55# and I believe the hitch is around 115#. In any event, I can get it on and off the truck by myself. Nice thing was that this two piece system was considerably less than a hitch that would drop right into the pucks. I bought both items from Amazon and got free shipping on both.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:52 PM   #10

Pullrite Superglide for me!

Been using the Pullrite Superglide since 2010 - very happy with it. Yes, it is heavy but I solved the problem as others did with a hoist. I picked up the hoist from Harbor Freight for around $100 along a couple 5' to 6' nylon straps. It is an easy lift. Here are a few pictures to show my set up. When the hitch is out of the truck, it sits on a four wheel furniture dolly.

Good luck with your hitch decision.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0075.jpg   IMG_0076.jpg   IMG_0077.jpg  

2011 Jayco Pinnacle 35LKTS
2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.7L
Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/72000 Wireless compressor
PullRite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #11

I'm new to RVing and just purchased a Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS. I'm looking now for my tow vehicle and am looking at a Ford F350 Diesel without a long bed and am thinking I'll need a slider hitch. Would a manual slider work as well as an automatic slider? I have looked at a Curt Q20 manual slider. Is the Curt a lesser quality than the PullRite SuperGlide? Thanks.
2 peas in a pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #12

The only difference with a manual slider is that you must get out of the truck, release the slide, pull forward till it lock in the extended position, then back up.

If you ever forget, you will take out your back window and damage the nose of the 5er.

Certainly less expensive

I don't have to worry about it, as with my slide, I can get a full 90 degrees and never have to think about it.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 peas in a pod View Post
I'm new to RVing and just purchased a Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS. I'm looking now for my tow vehicle and am looking at a Ford F350 Diesel without a long bed and am thinking I'll need a slider hitch. Would a manual slider work as well as an automatic slider? I have looked at a Curt Q20 manual slider. Is the Curt a lesser quality than the PullRite SuperGlide? Thanks.
I just purchased a Reese Elite for my F350 to fit the 5th wheel prep package. I did look at the Curt but found out that it will only work with extra adapters which also cost more. I also rejected the Auto Slider because of the weight factor and that a second or third person is required or a lift to install it.

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote