Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

Auto vs Manual Leveling

Newbie warning

Is the '4-Point Electric Auto-Leveling System' really worth the $2,691 list price?

How much time does it take to 'auto-level' vs a manual setup?

We'll be weekend camping 1-2 times every other month with 1-2 week vacations 2-3 times per year. For vacations, we'll most often stay put for the duration.

Thanks!
towm8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:01 PM   #2

I'll be honest, I wouldn't pay it for a 4 point leveling system because you are still going to have your wheels on the ground and a lot of shake from the suspension. My friends new 5er has a 4 point system and a lot of movement. Now... a 6 point system that has jacks under the axle and lifts the frame off the suspension some... that would be worth the upgrade.

I carry 2 2x8 boards and a 1x8 board. That has always been enough to level on any site that I have been.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #3

I've got the 6-point, and it's amazing, once you figure out how to really use it. Cant speak to the value of the 4-point....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

I have the 6 poibt ground control 3.0. It works pretty good. I am not manually running jacks anymore. Did that for the last 6 years.
Redbird7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #5

6 Point Leveling

Great system compared to manual leveling, but be prepared like all rv's and their accessories there are issues, I would think the hydraulic system may be better then the electrical system Jayco uses, is it worth the high price, each to his own !!!
Old 07-23-2016, 05:49 PM   #6

TT or MH???

I have had two Tt's and can't see the value in it. They are very easy to level, less then 5 minutes. Nice toy but not worth 3 grand.

My MH on the other hand.... It is a must have for me. They are not so easy to level and the levelling system actually takes the load off the vehicles suspension creating a stable platform.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #7

Our 4 point electric works fine and don't miss one bit the old days of manual.

Ours is stable in most places.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #8

We have the 4 point and it has worked great so far and the camper is much more stable than manual jacks. The hitch auto return feature is nice as you just hits the buttons and it's ready to hitch up.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #9

The auto level (4 pt) is cheaper than the marriage counseling i I was headed for with my old fifth wheel!! DW and levels don't speak the same language....

I haven't had an issue with mine yet. If we are on an unlevel site, we'll put a few Lego blocks under the rear jacks to avoid running out of stroke. Usually my wife hits the auto level button right after I pull out from under it and it is leveled by the time that electric is hooked up and the carpet is rolled out.

I find it no more unstable than our old fifth with stabilizers down and wheel chocks installed. Haven't even been using chocks with the new one.

Could I live without it? Yes.

Do I regret spending the money to get it? No!
Old 07-24-2016, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by towm8ter View Post
Newbie warning

Is the '4-Point Electric Auto-Leveling System' really worth the $2,691 list price?

How much time does it take to 'auto-level' vs a manual setup?

We'll be weekend camping 1-2 times every other month with 1-2 week vacations 2-3 times per year. For vacations, we'll most often stay put for the duration.

Thanks!
I think it depends on your ability overall. No pun intended. I did not go for it due to all the issues with the 1.0-2.0 versions at the time of my ordering. Honestly I do not miss it at all. My investment was a king pin level, 4 scissor jacks and a bullet level. $250.00 after market.

I pull or back to the site, look in my rear view see how many boards I need, lay them next to the tires, pull up or back up and DW pushes them under. 99% of the time we get it on the first shot and it never really is an issue with us. After that it's just the landing gear for front to back.

So if your DW is not a participant in the setting up it might be easier for you overall and a worth wile investment. My DW is a participant and almost to the point where she could do it herself.

Look at your "team" and make the call as you know it best.

My kids love using my 1/2" impact to run the scissors down.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #11

I have the 3.0 4 point. We find it to be much more stable than the stabilizer/board alternative. Have been on a couple of sites and it will lift the wheels off the ground if that is what is needed to level the 5th wheel.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:23 AM   #12

If you're going to install the system on your existing camper, it may not be worth it to you. The 6 point electric was on my FLSA when I bought it. I, hopefully, will never again waste another minute manually leveling my camper. I start "camping" about 10 minutes earlier each trip. We all own "things or stuff" which help us do ordinary actions (or there wouldn't be remote controls for anything) so this is one more to add to the list. I fear to say that those who say they're okay with manual leveling, have not used an automatic system.
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:39 AM   #13

I have a 2017 3.0 Electric system. I ordered mine while the 2016 pricing was still in effect so it was bundled in as part of the deal. (The actual invoice had it broken out with the new pricing but anyway that is irrelevant)

I have had zero issues with it. It was a mandatory option for me and I would add it in if I were buying a new trailer again.

I've spent years leveling RV's. I'm sick of it. I chock the wheels, unhitch, grab a beer and head to the pool or down to the river... when I come back the wife has the trailer level, the Direct TV on and she is happy.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #14

I am scheduled for wed of next week to have Equalizer install their 6 point hydraulic system. Probably could ave lived with the 4 pt & could have saved a bunch by purchasing the Bullseye electric & installing myself. It's what I want .
Did go price a new Pinnicle with the extra 1/2bath by the kitchen , that's why we are heading to Elkhart Sunday.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:05 AM   #15

I have the 6 point ground control 3.0 as well. If I were setting up at a site one time and leaving it there I could not see the point in saving a little time and effort. With several weekend 2-3 night trips it is worth it. I am a big fan of the time and effort saved as well as the no guess "re-hitch" feature. I still use my DW as my spotter when backing in, but the 7 times I have used the feature I have not had to adjust even a little bit.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:20 AM   #16

I have the 4 point leveling on mine. After having two other rv's with manual leveling, I can't do without it! It makes the camper more stable. Once I get the camper into position, I may put some orange blocks under some of the feet. Raise the front up and drive out from under it, then hit auto. Easy peazy! Yes it will lift the camper wheels off the ground if it needs to. I once (the dw wasn't there) forgot to unhitch the truck and raised the rear wheels of the truck 4 or 5 inches off the ground before I noticed what was happening. If I get another rv, it will have auto leveling. To the op, yes it's worth it

2012 F250 Super Duty
2014 Jayco Premier 361REQS
Super Springs
Yamerhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #17

When we bought a new RV my first item on the list was auto leveling. We have a four point system on a 40' fiver and it works great. SO much faster than a manual set up. One spot we parked the RV this year was on a side slope steep enough the tires on one side barely touched the ground.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:13 AM   #18

Love the 4 point on my '16 29.5 BHDS. One of my favorite options.

Pull up to the campsite. Unhook. Press auto-level. Throw some lego blocks under the rear jacks. Plug in water and electric and run the slides out. The leveling process finishes while I am doing the other things.

When we are ready to hook back up, just hit the two buttons and it goes right back to where it was when I unhooked. Awesome and totally worth it.

Only once have I had an issue. I ran out of travel on the landing gear during the leveling process because I let the jack legs out farther than necessary before starting the process. I had to abort, re-hook to the truck, and shorten the jack legs.

I'm sure I could live without it, but after having it for almost a year, I would never buy another camper without it.
bigskydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #19

That's been my experience as well. As long as your somewhat aware of the stroke limitations of the jacks and use some common sense and blocking it works great.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk