Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #1
TLG

Awning issue

Went out on our first trip over Memorial Day. On the third day, I noticed the awning fabric was starting to separate from what I think they call the shield guard at the top of the awning. This is the second awning that is attached to the front of the slide out. Its the 6 inch or so piece at the top of the awning. I was going to glue or tape it, but the service manager told me to send pics and they would order a new one. This piece appears to be heat sealed to the main fabric because it was not sticky where it was separating. They ordered the new one from Carefree but I haven't had it installed yet. Well last night I was washing the unit in preparation for an outing this week, and I noticed the main awning was doing the same thing. This had to be a bad batch of these covers. I've searched and couldn't find any other reference to this issue. Was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #2

What trailer? My new trailer awning is leaking curious what unit you have
Manitoban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #3

I had a seam seperate on my carefree main awning at the top inner and it's about six inches long. Was like that when I first used it. Looks like a heat sealed type of process to me. Not impressed with it for sure. Not sure exactly where your is having problem without pic. Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
carefree seam.jpg  
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #4

**** yeah not good, mine leaks in that very same spot just in curtain areas though leaks through some of the stitching
Manitoban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:19 AM   #5
TLG

Same place Shadester. Might not be the best design.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #6

If the unit is still under warranty (or even if not), what would you all think about talking with the warranty servicing dealer and asking if it would be OK if one was to take the new warranty replacement canvas to a professional shop to have them perform a fabric stitching or maybe even double stitching along where these separations occur, if possible and prior to having the dealer reinstall it? I realize we as consumers shouldn't have to perform such tasks due to inferior quality issues which by rights should be covered under the warranty but hey, this is only a suggestion to possibly mitigate the inconvenience involved with possible multiple visits for such a matter.
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #7

I like that idea of stitching. Seems like every corners is being cut these days to save a penny. But in reality bet they are getting hammered by warranty.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote