Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #21

Any update on this? Our 2016 is starting to do the same thing, but only when retracting?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #22

Da Bud Man- Call Carefree with your awning serial #'s and they will send you new struts. I installed them with help from a buddy and it has eliminated the noise and jumping/jamming when deploying/retracting the awnings. To install I drilled out the small rivet that holds the pitch adjustment mechanism letting the arms travel out further and then you can unscrew the old ones and put in the new ones very easily. You will need to replace the rivets yourself. Carefree sends rivets but they are for rivets in the track and are to big to replace the others.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:09 AM   #23

Fingerlakes
Is your awning different than 2016 model? So far mine are pretty smooth. The big awning front arms when closing most times do not overlap when fully closed flush to the wall.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #24

Ours is a 2016 model. Very early build-probably one of the first to come off the line. If your awning arms aren't overlapping then maybe the whole thing is bent/off center?
Old 08-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #25

What I have noticed if you look from way back the big awning tube looks like it has a slight bend. Reading on other forums they say the large awning tubes take a set from driving or should I say bouncing down the road. Even Carefree makes a center support the mounts to the Rv and includes a removable arm that extends out and than down under the center of the roller to the ground. So why would they make this if there is no issue with the roller flexing and bending while driving.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #26

The center support mounts to the Rv and when completely closed supports the center of the roller tube
Old 08-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #27

Our awnings would vibrate and make noise when we first started using them. After spraying all the pivot points and shock pistons with WD40 it has been quiet and smooth.
May be worth a try.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:36 PM   #28

Can someone share the carefree number. I stated this thread and have gotten no where. I logged on to carefree and sent an email and no one has contacted me. I couldn't find a number
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #29

Contact - Carefree of Colorado
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #30

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone! I just got off the phone with carefree and they do have a recall on the shocks. They told me to take a short video of the noise and get serial numbers off the awning and send to my dealer to file a claim. This way you can keep your unit until it comes in.
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #31

Interesting that they want a video when they have a recall and know there is a problem!? All I did was call them with the serial #'s and they sent me the new struts. You can change them yourself with help from another person-that saves you a trip back to the dealer.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #32

Have a 2017 24 rbs. It has a Dometic awning and is making noise in the struts sometimes when closing awning. Tried lubricating but only worked for short time.
Phil2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to Bauernfeind
Awning resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wendt View Post
I have a 2016 38FLSA and when I put out the awning it sounds like a freight train going down the tracks. It's seriously loud and sounds like it's going to rip off the side of the 5th wheel. I have had it at the dealer and they sprayed silicon spray in the tracks which helped out a little for the first couple of outings, but the noise is back and possibly louder.
I had exactly the same issue until one of my awning arms broke and they replaced both arms with, as the technician told me, improved arms and better strut. No more loud track issues. Now the back awning still does it and when I go back to the dealer they are replacing the struts because they've learned that's where the problem is
Bauernfeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wendt View Post
Dubleosvn,

You should get his dealer info and we can call them to see what they did. I got s feeling that dealer doesn't knock w what they are doing based off my first visit for warranty work. It was a nightmare, must be hard to find good help these days. The guys weren't very smart to say the least. My problem is that they are the only Jayco dealership around me. 1.5 hours away from me. I live pretty much in Denton texas.
Guys I was told by Jayco that if I don't like a dealer or they are too far or whatever, we can arrange to have a dealer that will work on our Jayco trailers and Jayco will authorize it.
My dealer is 2 hours away and my trailer had been there a month and they did NOT do hardly anything.
You can bet I will not be going there again.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #35

My selling dealer is less than a 1/3 mile from the dealer (camping world) who is doing my warranty work. My dealer repairs were great but they damaged my cap and do not have a paint booth. The repair sucked and insurance paid to fix. Camping world did a good job and even though the do not sell Jaycos other camping worlds do. So I am using them. My selling dealer is building a Hugh service center that will be state of art. They treated me fine but they do not yet have the facilities. Ur service advisor is the go between. The one I have is great and gives a s-// on your satisfaction. I just hope she stays there because she does care about u.
Rock