Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2021, 04:37 PM   #1

Awning LED light problem

My LED lights suddenly quit working under my awning....I added blue lights instead of th bright white lights....in doing so it was necessary to solder the blue light strip to the existing plug in for the white lights....worked just fine....for a while.....then the blue lights went out....I checked the blue light strip with another 12 volt power supply and they work fine...but when I test voltage a plug in it only reads .72 volts....the light under my steps does not work either....would this be indicative of a switch gone bad? Or is there a grounding problem somewhere I can’t find that is reducing voltage to plug? Other awning lights work fine, no fuses are blown anywhere that I can find.....presently at a loss for a fix...
Suggestions appreciated....
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:33 PM   #2

How did you test the blue strip with another power supply? Was it 110 volts stepped down with a transformer to 12 volts DC? Where are you testing and coming up with the low voltage reading

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:25 PM   #3

I undid the solder joints....tested the strip with an independent 12 volt power supply plugged into 110 .....lights tested good....i checked end of socket at soldered wires...and I unplugged the light strip connection and checked with a volt meter in the two holes of the plug that comes from the camper behind the awning brace...got .72 at both locations....I checked volt meter against other known 12 volt power points....seems accurate....it appears to me that one fuse in the panel box powers both awning exterior lights....and it is not blown.....

The 16 gauge wires are very small and short at the socket but maybe the socket is bad or loose connnection....only other choice I see is to cut out socket and wire direct if it can...just trying to avoid that...very tedious to accomplish 12 feet up in the air on a ladder....
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #4

When I did my led replacement I had a very short "pigtail" that came out just above my awning arm. I solder spliced a bit of extra wire to give myself some working room. I didn't have a socket. I would eliminate it from your setup.

You seem competent with a meter. I would work my way back to the switch and then back to the power source until you locate the problem.

I chased a marker light problem for 2 days on my trailer until I found the issue in a scotch lock connecter in a place you would never expect to find one.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:39 AM   #5

Same problem with Eagle

Our lights would go out after a few minutes. Found a solid state breaker behind a wall panel in front closet near where awning light wire went through wall. Checked current draw of lights and was 1.5 amps so replaced the breaker with inline fuse. All good.
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:17 AM   #6

Do you have a rocker type switch? If so test the voltage there. If you have 12 volts there you would just have to check the wiring between the switch and the lights. If you don't have voltage there then you will have to trace it back to the converter.
georam1 is offline   Reply With Quote