Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #1

Awning mold discoloration

OK we bought our 2017 used which meant it was about a year old. When we first rolled the awning down there was dirt, leaves etc on the inside white color. Looked pretty lousy so I did multiple coats (even letting it soak rolled back up) with Bleach water solution and got almost everything off where it was all white again.

Fast forward to driving from Florida to Wisconsin this May and there was some slight marks but nothing really bad. Just unrolled the awning yesterday since tomorrow we leave on a 4000 mile trip only to have about what seemed like a half gallon of water come out of the folds in the fabric/canvas. The inside of the awning on the white coloring looks worse than before and is heavily stained with black/grey mold.

So this is getting old and water must be wicking in from the high side. Has anyone figured out how to stop this? We never put the awning away wet ever and if we do to mother nature it is dried out at the next stop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If/when we have to replace the material it is going to be a dark color on the underside and not white!
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #2

We also have a 2017. Every time I open the awning, it is very wet. I do the bleach solution cleaning every 4 months or so and it stays bright white.
I do try to open it every month on a nice day and let it dry out.

There is a little trick some people say works while the rv is not in use. Take a 2 liter pop bottle, cut the bottom off, cut a slot from the bottom most of the way to the top, then slide it over the end of the awning. Stops the rain from entering the awning from the end. Sorry, no picture.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #3

Also, I apply 303 uv protectant or 303 UV protectant with wax every 6 months to the cover when closed to help protect against sun damage.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #4

Unfortunately its part of owning an RV.

I have also heard of the water bottle trick, but have never tried it.

I tend to clean mine with a product called "Spray Power". Spray it on, roll up the awning, and 30 minutes later, un roll and scrub, and rinse.

We keep our tt at home, and I open the awning periodically, mostly for shade if I'm working in the driveway on something.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
OK we bought our 2017 used which meant it was about a year old. When we first rolled the awning down there was dirt, leaves etc on the inside white color. Looked pretty lousy so I did multiple coats (even letting it soak rolled back up) with Bleach water solution and got almost everything off where it was all white again.

Fast forward to driving from Florida to Wisconsin this May and there was some slight marks but nothing really bad. Just unrolled the awning yesterday since tomorrow we leave on a 4000 mile trip only to have about what seemed like a half gallon of water come out of the folds in the fabric/canvas. The inside of the awning on the white coloring looks worse than before and is heavily stained with black/grey mold.

So this is getting old and water must be wicking in from the high side. Has anyone figured out how to stop this? We never put the awning away wet ever and if we do to mother nature it is dried out at the next stop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If/when we have to replace the material it is going to be a dark color on the underside and not white!

After you clean your awning.........there is a product called: Stow Away made by Bioguard.
Most pool companies carry it.
Put it in a spray bottle AFTER your awning is clean and mist it on underside and top of awning.

Your awning will NOT get mold on it.

And you can roll your awning up when wet.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #6
Site Team

Our awning is white, and we clean it with magic erasers. The rain gets in one end or the other.
We thought about getting a darker color replacement fabric, but wonder if it'll be hotter underneath it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:42 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Maybe the American manufactures should take a look at the European awning designers, maybe they can learn something.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #8

We left Lake Delton Wi this morning and were now in Alexandria MN on our first stop on the way to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole and Devils Tower. I got out a bucket of water and a bottle of soft scrub and a microfiber rag. 1.5 hours later its all white again.

I use 2 liter bottles all the time and will try one on each end for the next longer storage. Also going to get some BioGuard and give it a few coats. I dont mind cleaning but you would think you wouldnt have to keep redoing it in such close time frames.

Hopefully this will take care of it and if it doesnt I am going to find some type of earth tone camo dye to make it all blend away. I wont be doing this every 2-3 months.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #9

30 Seconds Cleaner. Bottle costs about $9 at Walmart or Lowes/Home Depot. Mix it 50/50 with water, spray it on, roll up your awning. Have 2 beers/wait 5 minutes then roll out your awning and spray with water.

Our awning was filthy, its now sparkling white. We keep our trailer under a carport and out of the elements, it still gets wet and mildewy. This cleaner is simple and requires no scrubbing. Spray on with garden sprayer, rinse with hose.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #10

Here's the soda bottle awning protector. I do this. It's not perfect but it does a fairly decent job of keeping it mostly clean.

I use cable ties to hold them on over long periods, like winter or the 2 summer months we don't camp.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #11

Pictures are great Thanks Doc!
Old 07-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #12

I spray CLR cleaner . Then roll it up for 5min then hose it off . Comes out great
Mark Geer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Maybe the American manufactures should take a look at the European awning designers, maybe they can learn something.

What, pray tell, is different with European awning materials?
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:44 PM   #14

We clean our with scrubbing bubbles and magic eraser. Not only does the rain get in, remember it rolls up with the white underside, which we all clean, rolling onto the dirty top. Maybe some clean the top but I don’t😏
Delgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #15

There are some DIY videos out there where you buy pieces of plastic gutter and make a cover to protect the awning. Not sure if they work, but look like a good idea. I just keep mine cleaned with bleach/water mixture. And dry it out often. This is one of the videos......
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote