Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2020, 08:00 AM   #1

Awning support arms

Wondering if any other Jayco owners have tried the awning support arms from Lippert? These arms are bowed and adjustable and look to be a good accessory to help take the sag in the fabric out of the middle of an awning. I am looking at purchasing a set of 3 for our 20’ awning but not sure if they will work with a Dometic awning? The website says these will work with most awnings but I am curious about how the arms will fit into the slot on the awning tube when extended. I am not sure they will without drilling holes in the tube to insert the pins in. Can't seem to find much documentation on theses.

As most other Jayco fifth wheels I have seen have Dometic awnings on them I thought there may be others who might have tried these and could comment on how they like or dislike them. Or, if they won’t work has anyone tried anything else?

Here is the link to Lippert site for the arms....

https://store.lci1.com/8ft-awnbrella...ws-362237.html

Would appreciate any input as I am not a big fan of this awning on our new 30.5 MLOK. Had one on a Seismic too and it sagged the same way.
Thanks.
Wilsonbryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonbryk View Post
Wondering if any other Jayco owners have tried the awning support arms from Lippert? These arms are bowed and adjustable and look to be a good accessory to help take the sag in the fabric out of the middle of an awning. I am looking at purchasing a set of 3 for our 20’ awning but not sure if they will work with a Dometic awning? The website says these will work with most awnings but I am curious about how the arms will fit into the slot on the awning tube when extended. I am not sure they will without drilling holes in the tube to insert the pins in. Can't seem to find much documentation on theses. As most other Jayco fifth wheels I have seen have Dometic awnings on them I thought there may be others who might have tried these and could comment on how they like or dislike them. Or, if they won’t work has anyone tried anything else? Here is the link to Lippert site for the arms....https://store.lci1.com/8ft-awnbrella...ws-362237.html

Would appreciate any input as I am not a big fan of this awning on our new 30.5 MLOK. Had one on a Seismic too and it sagged the same way.
Thanks.
They look pretty easy to use and should fit in the tube slot without any drilling. The downside would be having to take them down every time you want to roll the awning up, which for me would be several times a day depending on wind, etc. That could be a real pain in the a**!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:05 AM   #3

My awning doesn’t sag so I’m wondering if yours needs an adjustment, it’s 13’ wide.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
My awning doesn’t sag so I’m wondering if yours needs an adjustment
x2
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #5

Ours is 17' long by 8' wide, we have no sag in ours either.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
CAG

Mine does not sag either but I have found that I can get good, first hand information by calling these companies. They have tech, and experts who can answer specific questions about specific items.

In the literature about the RV and various items install is a list of companies and phone numbers, at least there was in all of the RVs I have ever owned. If not you probably can find phone numbers for Lippert on their Web site.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #7

I wonder if it will still auto dump with that style arms
Old 06-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #8

Our awning is 20’ across and when opened the tube bends in the middle. This makes the fabric in the middle droop somewhat. Our other trailer with a Dometic awning did the same thing and I thought these arms might be a good idea. To be honest I am a bit surprised there aren’t more RV owners with the same issue on these larger awnings at least.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #9
Site Team

A previous TT we've owned had a 22' awning, so we put on a center support rafter. Like a third awning arm for the middle, and it had a drop down leg for upward support.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #10

Is that something you purchased or rigged up yourself?