Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2022, 04:31 AM   #1

Awning won’t retract 2020 Pinnacle 37MDQS

As second owner with no warranty I had to do my own diagnostics with BMPRO support on the phone. Awning A1 suddenly refuses to retract. Extends fine and awning A2 works in both directions. No clicking from the RVGENIUS node indicates a bad internal relay. Confirmed there is no reverse voltage signal at the node retract port when commanded. Reversing the wires enables me to retract from the controller with the extend command on a one-time basis. I’m told that the relay inside the node can’t be replaced and the two spare ports for an optional Awning A3 cannot be enabled in software. So it looks like I need a whole new node. While waiting for a price I’m using a $12 conventional extend/retract wall switch and simply bypassing the BMPRO system. Any other suggestions are welcome before I spend big bucks. Maybe the wall switch will get moved from basement to inside and become permanent! Thanks
Pdcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:05 PM   #2

I have no suggestions but would love to know what it costs to replace the node. That is my biggest concern with the bmpro system (which I have on my 357MDOK).
JayG7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 04:18 PM   #3

Sure, I’ll let you know what price I get once one of three Jayco dealers I called yesterday gets back to me. Meanwhile I diagnosed the fault to ch 17+ AWN1 pin being stuck at 12volts with both retract and extend instructions from the tablet. That means both motor wires are at the same +12 volts in retract mode. That pin should go to ground as you select retract. It doesn’t. The awning retracts fine if I pull that wire and ground it. I think I can use an external SPDT relay to effectively emulate the broken internal relay. If it works, that will keep me running unless something else on the Node fails!
Old 06-14-2022, 04:20 PM   #4

Just got quote of $961 + tax for the node. No labor included.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:24 AM   #5

Ouch. I guess my estimate in my head wasn’t too far off.
JayG7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:51 PM   #6

maybe someone who is good with soldering could trace the wires for the #2 awning relay, remove relay and replace with the unused #3 relay.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdcooper View Post
Sure, I’ll let you know what price I get once one of three Jayco dealers I called yesterday gets back to me. Meanwhile I diagnosed the fault to ch 17+ AWN1 pin being stuck at 12volts with both retract and extend instructions from the tablet. That means both motor wires are at the same +12 volts in retract mode. That pin should go to ground as you select retract. It doesn’t. The awning retracts fine if I pull that wire and ground it. I think I can use an external SPDT relay to effectively emulate the broken internal relay. If it works, that will keep me running unless something else on the Node fails!
you don't need a relay...just one of these type switches...

https://www.amazon.com/IndusTec-Wire...s%2C187&sr=8-4

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:32 PM   #8

That switch keeps looking better. Maybe a Jayco specific wrecking might sell one for less.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:39 PM   #9

See what Digi-Key has to offer.

https://www.digikey.com/

Not always but I have found exact matches to Jayco OEM.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:47 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
you don't need a relay...just one of these type switches...

https://www.amazon.com/IndusTec-Wire...s%2C187&sr=8-4
Yeah, but how do you upload it to the Cloud?
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:59 PM   #11

Just got a second dealer quote of $748 for the node board. Apparently my 2020 RVMN101A rev08 board is obsolete and replaced by Jayco part 2027290. The blade connectors on the top edge have been replaced push-in wire connectors. BMPRO tech support say to just snip of the female blade connectors and push in the wires. Pin for pin compatible with original, supposedly. Apparently it’s the same board with upgrades at Rev 19 or 20 that includes improved reliability and a Bluetooth booster external antenna for better connectivity. My thoughts right now are to either patch in a regular awning switch or configure my own external circuit that will take its trigger off the CH17- AWN1 port when high to generate the required low on the awning wire that comes from the first pin CH17- AWN 1 that is stuck high at +12 volts in both extend and retract. If it works and I restore full control from the internal command screen, then I’ll post the patch circuit for others to use ($20 of components on Amazon!)
Old 06-16-2022, 02:04 PM   #12

An excellent idea but means removing the whole node board and taking it back to my workshop. I’m capable of doing that. Down time while the pinnacle is in use this summer is the problem here. I also asked BMPRO if they could enable AWN3 ports in software to come up on the controller. The answer was no. Would need whole new floor software d that existing functions stay the same. You can check your flower plan software in settings and hit general 5 times. They are all RV vendor and floor plan preconfigured by year. No deal!