Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #1

Back flow valve

I just purchased a 2016 North Point 301RETS - picked up on Thursday and took it for a short weekend trip to shake down the new 5th wheel. I filled the water tank, unplugged the city water and followed the settings on the unit (and owners manual) to dry camp. All seemed well until I turned on the pump in the unit - I could hear water. I went outside and the water pump was pumping water out the city water / fill connection. I can't find anything in the manual that talks about a back flow valve and I can't locate one. Has anyone else had this problem and a fix?

I called Camping World, where I purchased it, and they told me they wouldn't be able to look at it for 2 1/2 weeks - a story for another time about customer no service.
bradjanice1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
Site Team

There is a check valve right behind the city water connection that can get ajar. Try poking a small screwdriver in the water inlet and see if you can make it stop.
Look into the water inlet connection and you may be able to see the back flow preventer ajar.
If not. just put a hose plug on it until the dealer can fix it. It is a pretty common problem when un-winterizing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #3

Very easy fix yourself!

Look in the city water connection and with a small pick or screwdriver, pull the screen out. You will see the stem of the check valve right in the middle. There is an O-ring on the inside that has unseated itself probably when they winterized. To fix it, you will either need to have access to the back of the city water connection or pull the whole thing off the side. You will need to take the water line off the back either way. Once you have access to the back of it, you can remove the center stem/check valve by twisting it 1/4 turn and it should spring out at you. At that point you can reseat the small O-ring in the groove. After that just re-assemble in reverse. Problem solved!

What causes this issue is when winterizing and having too much pressure on the water lines from the pump. Part of winterizing is to remove the screen and press the stem of the check valve to allow anti-freeze to spew out. With too much pressure, it unseats the O-ring. What I do is reduce the pressure from the water pump by shutting it off and then using the outside shower to let most of the pressure out.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #4

Check the filter screen. Dealers have been known to flip it over to hold the check valve open so it siphons the anti-freeze easier. If the screen points in that's your problem.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #5

norty1,

Thanks for the help, worked like a dream!
bradjanice1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
Site Team

You're welcome. Several others nailed it. It is a pretty common thing.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 04-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #7

Hum I just use a hand pump and install antifreeze from the city water connection and pump it until it releases and goes in, you are saying they let the water pump push the antifreeze backwards through the city water connection?
Old 04-04-2016, 04:28 PM   #8

Paintinfool3...that is exactly how it goes when using the pump and antifreeze pickup tube.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
Site Team

Back flow valve

On mine the antifreeze is pulled into the system from a gallon jug with a short hose that came with the rig for that purpose. When the pump pulls it into the pipes thru a valve combo in the utility closet, you push the back flow valve in just enough to get antifreeze out the shut the pump off. Sometimes it stays cocked.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 04-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Another way to avoid this problem; I always installed an inline valve before the city water check valve.........never had a problem since the 70's
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #11

City water check valve can be noisy at time its kind of a vibration, especially when we flush the toilet , have you ever heard that ?

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back flow, north point, water flow