Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #41

Wow that factory is scary.

[QUOTE=Socalken;215239]just as a side note, has anyone seen the youtube video rom the jayco factory? its crazy! guys running around like crack heads! no wonder there are screws all over the factory floor!

Wow.... that was interesting .... Wonder what their employee lost time due to injuries is? As I watched that trailer frame flip I closed my eyes.

Also as you mentioned I did notice the mess all over the floors. Never been in a factory that would allow that.
Raspberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #42

Good Lord, Hard to think "QUALITY" when you see the frantic pace set in that shop.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
Good Lord, Hard to think "QUALITY" when you see the frantic pace set in that shop.
I can't help but wonder what other TT manufacturers shops are like.....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #44

We love our new 184BH, but my reaction to the video is .

Maybe it's best just to enjoy the sausage and not see how it's actually made!

I'll admit to some ignorance, however, about standards in the industry. Maybe other assembly plants are even scarier. The Jayco exec seemed quite proud of what he was showing. Although it looks kind of slap dash to me, I guess if these guys are doing this all day every day, maybe they can work that frantically and still get it right. Our TT seems fine; obviously not built by careful craftsmen, but seemingly good value for the money.

So I guess I have two take-aways from the video:

1. Maybe appearances to an amateur are deceiving and despite the frantic pace, quality is still reasonable.

2. Jaycos are priced very reasonably which means tender loving handcrafting just isn't economically possible.

Although all the propane and electrical lines running through the trailer make me a little nervous after seeing how quickly they throw them in and cover them up.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #45

Oh wait, I just remembered. Our unit was assembled at the Jayco plant in Twin Falls, Idaho, while that video was from "Plant 62" in Indiana.

I'm sure Idaho is totally different!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #46

I realize the video looks like everyone is running around helter-skelter, but I've also read where many folks have gone on their factory tours and have been very impressed.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:57 PM   #47

ya mine was made in Idaho also....ya I think that video was sped up a bit....
Socalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:19 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalken View Post
just as a side note, has anyone seen the youtube video rom the jayco factory? its crazy! guys running around like crack heads! no wonder there are screws all over the factory floor!

If there were a video of our trailer being assembled. I suspect it would make the "Three Stooges" look organized.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #49
Site Team

I have toured the factory in Indiana, in fact several. The video is altered somewhat.
Lots of debris left in all of them.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:21 AM   #50

Ive had the tour. Yes there is debris on the floor during assembly. That is swept up as soon as the unit is moved. The speed has been increased which gives the impression of poor quality. If you see it in person, you don't come away with that impression
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #51

ok good I feel better now
Socalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
Ive had the tour. Yes there is debris on the floor during assembly. That is swept up as soon as the unit is moved. The speed has been increased which gives the impression of poor quality. If you see it in person, you don't come away with that impression
Thanks for the first-hand report. I feel better too! The Jayco exec narrating the video sure didn't seem like he was trying to hide anything; he was proud of what he was showing and that has to be good.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #53
Site Team

A few things to consider about the video:

The video was made by Jayco, so no they are not trying to hide anything. It was then showed on TV, I forget which channel first aired it.

If you do the same thing over and over you get faster and better at it after while.

The unit in question is a no slide 26BH Jayflight, one of their most popular and least complex floorplans. The larger multi slide loaded up with candy units undoubtedly take longer.

The 7 hour time frame does not take into account that the walls, cabinets, frame, furniture, roof trusses, windows, appliances, running gear etc are all pre made which increases the actual time it takes to make one. 7 hours is the final assembly. Also those guys knew they were being filmed and perhaps were showing off a bit with all the running and rushing around. I suspect that pace would be hard to maintain, but who knows.

The Jayflight line at that time was the entry level trailer, not a 70,000 5er. That said it is probably the least complained about line of RV`s here on the forum, and the most owned (just look at the TT poll numbers) and I rarely if ever hear anyone say they are unhappy with their 26BH, same as featured in the video. Jayco also claims that the Jayflight has been North America`s top selling TT line for some years now. Just some thoughts to chew on.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
A few things to consider about the video:

The video was made by Jayco, so no they are not trying to hide anything. It was then showed on TV, I forget which channel first aired it.

If you do the same thing over and over you get faster and better at it after while.

The unit in question is a no slide 26BH Jayflight, one of their most popular and least complex floorplans. The larger multi slide loaded up with candy units undoubtedly take longer.

The 7 hour time frame does not take into account that the walls, cabinets, frame, furniture, roof trusses, windows, appliances, running gear etc are all pre made which increases the actual time it takes to make one. 7 hours is the final assembly. Also those guys knew they were being filmed and perhaps were showing off a bit with all the running and rushing around. I suspect that pace would be hard to maintain, but who knows.

The Jayflight line at that time was the entry level trailer, not a 70,000 5er. That said it is probably the least complained about line of RV`s here on the forum, and the most owned (just look at the TT poll numbers) and I rarely if ever hear anyone say they are unhappy with their 26BH, same as featured in the video. Jayco also claims that the Jayflight has been North America`s top selling TT line for some years now. Just some thoughts to chew on.
We owned an 07 jay flight 25rks for six years and it was a great trailer! Unfortunately we traded it in for our 14 26.5 rls eagle ht. Hindsight is 20/20.
We're off on our first outing since getting out trailer back from repairs completed at the Jayco factory. We're sure hoping this trailer outing goes smoothly, and not like many of our past outings with this trailer. Something going wrong.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #55

Hope you have a good trip, let us know how it goes.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #56

Hey N.W., Best of luck on this outing. After what you've been through, Lord knows you deserve it. Hopefully, they got it right this time and you'll be able to start enjoying it for a change.

Happy Camping!
Old 07-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #57
Site Team

To think I had an entire 1,781 sq. ft. house built in a manufacturing plant using many of those same construction methods.

I've viewed this Jayco video many times and you can't believe everything you see. That video is a professionally made documentary and certain liberties were taken during it's filming that would not occur in the course of a normal construction day. This fact is clearly evidenced by those previous posters who remarked on their visit to Jayco's manufacturing facility and witnessed the construction process first hand.

I think even Superman would have had difficulty keeping up with the work pace that's portrayed in the video.

Way back in 1988, I toured GM's Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, KY. The tour guide said that they made 88 cars a day. There were three shifts. The day shift made the 88 cars, the evening was the maintenance shift and the night (or "hoot owl" for all you coal miners out there) shift the plant was idle. I find it interesting that back in 1988 GM made 88 Corvettes in a shift while Jayco made only 32 Jay Flight travel trailers in seven hours.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #58

Having seen the video, .......and previously owning a corvette- glad I didn't see a bowlings clip back then!!
Old 07-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #59
Site Team

Comparing the Jayco line to the Corvette line is as different as Apples and Oranges.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #60

The video is impressive. I have 40 years in manufacturing as a design engineer and that's my 2 cents on the video.

Most people don't understand that you must work out all kinks in manufacturing when you cut the build time down. More quality issues come from allowing to much time which in turn allows for rework and mistakes and makes people lazy about problem solutions. It's a system that forces problems to the surface where they must be solved in order to meet the schedule.

I am impressed.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote