Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2019, 05:51 PM   #1

Back up camera wire vs wireless

Just bought our first 5th wheel. 2019 317 RLOK and super excited to start camping soon. Our unit is prewired for backup camera and were looking at buying Tadibrothers brand due to excellent customer service and reviews. We haven’t called them yet as I want to talk with a customer rep first before buying. I’d like to first get some comments from people who have back up cameras and their experiences.
Specifically how does wireless perform compared to wired. Even though our unit is prewired not sure how difficult install would be vs wireless.

Best location for the camera itself.

I am interested in a model that works while driving to help with lane changing and to see what’s behind you. The thought of having “eyes” back there gives me comfort in addition to backing up.
Thank you!!
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #2

I have the furrion that came with my north point, I like it, in fact I just ordered another one for the back of my enclosed trailer. I just turn on my running light to see my trailer behind the fiver, so far no issues with it.

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

I have a Furrion wireless observation camera that stays on whenever I have my running lights turned on on the TV. My TT came prewired, which included the mounting bracket already installed on the back wall. Truly plug and play. I've never lost connection between the camera and monitor that rides on the dash of the TV, at a distance close to 40' +/-. Works good going down the road and helps me see what's back there when backing into a CG spot.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:47 PM   #4

I also have the furrion and it works great. I power my camera by a switch I added in the bedroom. Jayco has it so it will be on with the parking lights and also gives you the location of the pigtail wires they have hidden in the camper so you can add a switch. 2019 321 RSTS Eagle has the wires in the bedroom behind the thermostat.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:51 AM   #5

I have a wireless observation camera from Rear View Safety on my 2016 Pinnacle. It works with the TV running lights on which is no problem. I always tow with my TV lights on. The key with any wireless system is distance, obstructions, and some systems will not work well if the RV has a lot of aluminum construction (read the restrictions on the system before buying). I had some early issues in the beginning with random loss of signal. Out of the box, both camera and monitor comes with the 3” to 5” antennas and the mounting spot is on the back wall below the FW running lights.
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:29 AM   #6

I added the Furrion wireless to our trailer since it came with the mount. Seemed a lot easier going wireless. The only complaint I have is the screen is a little small and the picture quality should be better considering the cost.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #7

I just installed my second system from tadibrothers. The first one was wired and the only issue I had was at the connection in the bed of my truck. The RCA cables were exposed to the elements and would come loose.

My second, and current system is wireless. I'm still working out some bugs with it. The folks at Tadi have been great and sent me a new system. I have the 4-camera system with the 9" rear view mirror display which was one of the biggest selling points. All cameras are CCD instead of the CMOS sensors that Furrion has. My rig is 40' and I upgraded all transmitters to 125' digital. I may need to upgrade the 2 cameras on the back of the coach to the 235' transmitters. They also have cameras with integrated wireless but all mine have an attached transmitter and receiver.

All 4 cameras we're working on Wednesday when we finished the installation but when we left on Friday one side camera had no power which was probably a wiring issue. The 2 rear cameras we're in and out of transmission during travel. Tadi is sending me a new split screen control box which I think is the issue.

1GreatScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #8

I too am shopping for a back-up camera. I want a 3 camera system, one in back and one on each side. I have a very tough place to back into where I store it and I'm always by myself so a side camera on my blind side would be very useful. I want a wireless system. Simple installation and I thought when camping, I could take the monitor out of the cab and plug it inside the FW. If noises are heard outside in the middle if the night, just turn on the monitor and you could see what's going on outside the trailer. It then becomes a security camera. I'm just not sure what brand or model I should buy.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #9

Our Furrion is wide angle and seems to be ok once you get used to objects being lots closer than they appear
The TV lights must be on for it to work

For it to be a security camera rewiribg eoukd be needed
Id not want to be camped next to a unit with lights on all night
Get some wildlife cameras
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post

For it to be a security camera rewiribg eoukd be needed
Id not want to be camped next to a unit with lights on all night
Get some wildlife cameras

Me neither, the only time I'd turn on lights is if I were awakened by noises.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #11

I saw many posts regarding the Furrion FOS48TAPK and in general most people rated it highly. It appears it has been replaced by the FOS43. Does anyone have experience with this? I am looking for a reasonably priced unit as a backup camera for my TT. Thanks!!
Jaycophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:31 AM   #12

Furrion wireless observation for me, it work very well not too big not too small it's just right even for my old eyes.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycophil View Post
I saw many posts regarding the Furrion FOS48TAPK and in general most people rated it highly. It appears it has been replaced by the FOS43. Does anyone have experience with this? I am looking for a reasonably priced unit as a backup camera for my TT. Thanks!!

I don't know but looking on their website they have different size monitors. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...Ck%3AFOS48TAPK this is Amazon those and their website is https://furrion.com/products/vision-s-configurator they seem to have a few updates since I bought mines.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #14

That's some serious money with the Furrions.
;-)

I have a van for towing, and a JayFlight 31BHDS, and I figured I'd need cameras for both.
From what I'd read it seemed like there'd be a pretty good possibility of a wireless connection not working reliably, going from the back of the trailer, through the trailer, through the front wall of the trailer, through the back doors of the van, and through the van to the receiver-monitor.
It does sound like the Furrions might handle this, but many people report problems in this regard with wireless systems and long rigs.

So my idea was to use wired cameras, but buy a separate transmitter-receiver system to transmit the signals over the top of the total rig as a whole, for the entire distance.

As it turned out I bought the transmitter-receiver system but never installed it. I was only towing the trailer from where I bought it to a location where it wasn't going to be moved thereafter. I ran out of time for the complete planned install and just ran a long temporary extension cable underneath the trailer for its camera.
With that temporary setup it all worked really well.

I'd really like to set up the transmitter-receiver system though but it will admittedly require some work to install. I don't see why it wouldn't work though.

So I bought on Amazon :
  • Camera & Monitor kit
    I used the monitor in the van, and this camera on the back of the trailer with a long extension cable. The cam has infrared LED lighting for viewing at night.
    (I'd planned to use a transmitter-receiver system for it but haven't installed that part yet.)
LeeKooLuu Backup Camera System for RV/SUV/Pickup/Truck/Trailer/Van Rear View/Side View/Front View Single Power System with 7'' HD Monitor (ASIN B0761MM7YV) ~$60
  • This camera I mounted on the back of the van. It has infrared LED lighting for viewing at night.
LeeKooLuu Backup Camera for Car RV Truck (ASIN B073B193ZS) ~$20
  • The transmitter-receiver system :
Eaglerich 2.4G Wireless AV Cable Transmitter and Receiver (ASIN B01DK2OR2G) ~$30
Kbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #15

By the way, I'm not sure I was clear in my post just above about the LeeKooLuu camera systems I'd bought - they work really well. It was only the transmitter-receiver system that I never installed. But I continue to use the camera and monitor on the van for general driving use and they really work well. I'd feel pretty nervous without them actually - I have a cargo van with no side windows and reduced rear visibility, but with the camera I can pretty much see everything. The camera on the trailer also worked quite well.
Kbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #16

Wired is better, but wireless is more convenient, not having to install and maintain wires. It's just $$$$$.