Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2019, 10:17 PM   #1

Backup camera for 2017 Jayco 5th Wheel

I have a 2017 Jayco Eagle 5th Wheel 336 FBOK. My dealer told me that it is pre-wired for a backup camera. The person who showed us the 5th wheel said the wiring is behind the center light(it looks like a round diode.) I've been looking at the Furrion 381556 FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System. Does anyone know if this is the right camera and has anyone ever put one on this type of RV with the little round lights? I do have a camera on/off switch in the area where I connect my water and satellite and I have the plug in for an observation camera in the bedroom.
missileer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:40 PM   #2

I have the same camera on my octane 161 and it was wired for this same camera. I dont know about your install, but i am very happy so far with this camera, there have been some bad reviews, but it has worked flawlessly for me.
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:59 AM   #3

I installed this on my 377. Took at most 20 minutes and works great. The instructions were clear and simple to follow. When you remove the temp cover on the back you'll find the wiring for the camera.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by missileer View Post
I have a 2017 Jayco Eagle 5th Wheel 336 FBOK. My dealer told me that it is pre-wired for a backup camera. The person who showed us the 5th wheel said the wiring is behind the center light(it looks like a round diode.) I've been looking at the Furrion 381556 FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System. Does anyone know if this is the right camera and has anyone ever put one on this type of RV with the little round lights? I do have a camera on/off switch in the area where I connect my water and satellite and I have the plug in for an observation camera in the bedroom.
That looks like the right set-up but you shouldn't need the mounting bracket for the camera since it should have been included as part of the prewiring set-up. Here is a listing for the unit without the mounting bracket:

https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-FOS48.../dp/B017P8H7BO

although I don't know why they charge more for the system without the bracket versus the system with the bracket.

That said the wiring has power plug for Furrion camera. That plug can be cut off and the wires (power from same circuit as the running lights) can be spliced into the wiring for other rear observation cameras. The bracket can be removed and a bracket for a different type of unit installed (involves drilling two holes and using Dicor to seal around the bracket).

I installed this unit which is about 1/3 the price and it works very well:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Wate...ct_top?ie=UTF8

The mounting bracket doesn't have the finished looking of the Furrion mount but I've used it one a few trips and it's secure, gives a very good and solid view at the rear (in two hours of driving I've had two 1 second drop outs) and a big help while on the road changing lanes and knowing what's behind you.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #5

missileer, I also have a 2017 Jayco 5er. The 27.5 RLTS . I installed my own Furrion camera. I removed the top center marker light. (it's just pressed inside a rubber grommet) to get at the wiring. the rocker switch that powers the camera wiring was located in the battery compartment. I drilled a hole down below the center light 2" to accommodate the camera wiring and new rubber bushing/grommet. The Furrion cameras work really well.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:57 PM   #6

Was there enough room to put the camera over the center marker hole? You said cameras. Did you get the side marker lights with cameras also? If so how do they work and were they hard to install?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:40 AM   #7

I have the same camera it work great.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Was there enough room to put the camera over the center marker hole? You said cameras. Did you get the side marker lights with cameras also? If so how do they work and were they hard to install?
When I said Furrion camera(s) I spoke in general terms. I only have the one camera. but, may add the side marker cameras as well in the future.

As to the camera and bracket fitting over the top of the marker light, I was a bit leery to put it there because of the size of the bracket and proximity of the roofline and structural roof member.

Under the center marker light 1" and 1 1/2" to the right of said light worked perfectly for my mount/bracket.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:46 AM   #9

I have the same camera and it works great. I took out the center running light (wire for camera was tapped to another wire in that hole) but used the running light power instead. This way to operate the camera I have to turn my truck lights on which is a good indicator that there on. Plus then I dont have to mess with another switch in the garage. Very easy install.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:14 AM   #10

So did you drill another hole underneath and connect the wires or use the existing hole to mount the camera and did you have enough room between the top of the camera and the top seal if you did use the existing hole?

Thanks for your info.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:18 AM   #11

Thanks for your reply. My Jayco did not come with a mounting bracket already installed so I have to install it.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
So did you drill another hole underneath and connect the wires or use the existing hole to mount the camera and did you have enough room between the top of the camera and the top seal if you did use the existing hole?

Thanks for your info.
DO NOT install the camera in place of the center marker light. DOT regulations for trailers over 80 inches wide require 3 center marker lights on the rear of the trailer mounted as high as practical. A quick google search on trailer marker lights will point you to the source for this information.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #13

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I will check it out and put the camera below the marker light.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #14

Glad to know that (about the regs) as I have a camera to install. But, leery about the whole process. I have Not found a camera power switch anywhere, however, and wonder if my 2016 361 REQS has a switch. It is wired for camera.
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonBecky View Post
Glad to know that (about the regs) as I have a camera to install. But, leery about the whole process. I have Not found a camera power switch anywhere, however, and wonder if my 2016 361 REQS has a switch. It is wired for camera.
My switch is in my control panel (where you pull valves for tanks, water hose hook up and cable hook up) closet, next to the soap dispenser. I have a 2016 Eagle 325 BHQS.
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #16

I see you guys are not using the Furrion, do you know anyone that use them, it is a huge difference in the price are those so much better, I’m just about to buy a camera but I’m in not sure if inshould pay that much and in the other hand I don’t want to be too cheap and then pay the consequences
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #17

I just bought my second camera setup from Tadibrothers.com. their customer support is outstanding and their cameras are better than the Furrion. And they have the Furrion adapter.

1GreatScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #18

I see, they have several to choose from, which one did you get ?
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I see you guys are not using the Furrion, do you know anyone that use them, it is a huge difference in the price are those so much better, I’m just about to buy a camera but I’m in not sure if inshould pay that much and in the other hand I don’t want to be too cheap and then pay the consequences
I use the Furrion that was mentioned in the first post. No complaints whatsoever. Great view in day or night and never lose signal with a 40' fiver.
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I see, they have several to choose from, which one did you get ?
Tico, I went with the 4 camera system with the rear view mount monitor. I upgraded the package to include the 9" screen, all digital long-range (125') transmitter/receiver, Hi-Def CCD cameras (not the CMOS that Furrion has), and gridlines.

https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...d-side-cameras

Had to drill a hole behind the mounting bracket in the end cap to accept the transmitter. In hindsight, I would have bought the camera with the integrated wireless.

Hope to finish up the install once the rain stops. I'll post pics when done.
1GreatScouter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel backup cameras