Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #1

backup camera install

Has anyone installed a backup camera on their 5th wheel? I have a 2017 Eagle HT 27.5 rlts and got to close to my garage while backing up to setup for a camping trip. The ladder made contact with my garage, pushed the ladder into the window and shattered it. It is now a campingworld waiting on a replacement window

I want to buy a wireless camera and want to know who has installed one and some details on hook up. It looks like you remove the center marker lamp, and install it where the center marker was? I assume I use the wires that were for this light as power source?

Please let me know any details if you have any.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, center marker light wires is an option.
Some are pre-wire in same location, just have to fish wires out from behind marker light.
Pre-wired is hot all the time, marker light wires is only hot when marker lights are on.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...6bh-34620.html

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
Site Team

I mounted mine on the ladder support bars that connect the ladder to the TT. I also wired it to the TT running lights, that way I do not have to worry about forgetting to turn off the camera when we get to where we are going. The lights come on when traveling an so does the camera

Picture

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to BillV Send a message via MSN to BillV
Quote:
Originally Posted by citgodan View Post
Has anyone installed a backup camera on their 5th wheel? I have a 2017 Eagle HT 27.5 rlts and got to close to my garage while backing up to setup for a camping trip. The ladder made contact with my garage, pushed the ladder into the window and shattered it. It is now a campingworld waiting on a replacement window

I want to buy a wireless camera and want to know who has installed one and some details on hook up. It looks like you remove the center marker lamp, and install it where the center marker was? I assume I use the wires that were for this light as power source?

If I were to do it again, I would mount the camera where the center marker light was. I went about six inches below it and it was very hard to feed the wire from the camera to the wiring for the center marker light.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to BillV Send a message via MSN to BillV
Quote:
Originally Posted by citgodan View Post

I highly recommend Furrion Wirelesss Observation System. FOS48TAPK-BL. Amazon.com had best price when I was looking for one.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #6

My HT is a year older than your. Mine is pre-wired for a camera and the power switch is in the very front of the battery compartment (well hidden).
Old 06-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #7

Thanks for the all of the info! I think I will go with the marker replacement option. I can simply turn on the parking/lights when needed, and surely don't want it on all the time.

I will keep the spare marker light in the garage in case it ever becomes an issue with the law and I need to add it back and move the camera.

Just have to find out what wire(s) I take from the marker to power up the camera - I'm not electrician. I have even cut through a live 220 volt line before - wow that was loud In my defense I was certain the line was dead

thanks for the input.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
If I were to do it again, I would mount the camera where the center marker light was. I went about six inches below it and it was very hard to feed the wire from the camera to the wiring for the center marker light.

Legally, That center marker light can not be removed. The way those marker lights are placed (1,3 1_ is what is REQUIRED BY LAW.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:06 PM   #9

citgodan. I have the same 5er and installed a Voyager camera that I purchased off of Ebay. last month.Yes, You pull the center L.E.D. marker light (GENTLY) from the rubber boot and fish out the orange and green wires. Then I drilled a 5/8" hole for my scotchlite connector and wires and rubber grommet,shrink tubing and camera wires. Make sure that the rocker switch (located in the battery box area) is in the off position before wiring it up. Pretty straightforward installation. Oh and BTW put the center L.E.D. light back into it's original hole when you are finished
Old 06-25-2017, 06:31 AM   #10

Thanks for the wire colors GraftonGuns, but I want to put the new camera in the same position were the light was. Any reason why I can't do that (besides the law issue)?

Yes, I will kill the battery first.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #11
TLG

I installed the furrion on my Pinnacle last year when I purchased it. I pulled the center light, installed it there, and put a stick on plastic reflector above it. Unless you were driving at night, you would never know the marker light was gone. It was a 30 minute job. I posted photos and a description on this forum at the time. As far as it being illegal, maybe. But I can say with some authority, most police officers would never give it a second glance.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #12
TLG

Also, I have one of the 2017 aluminum body trucks now. The camera worked fine before, but it gets a stronger signal now. Don't know if the aluminum vs. steel has anything to do with it or not. The pictures are under my previous posts.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLG View Post
I installed the furrion on my Pinnacle last year when I purchased it. I pulled the center light, installed it there, and put a stick on plastic reflector above it. Unless you were driving at night, you would never know the marker light was gone. It was a 30 minute job. I posted photos and a description on this forum at the time. As far as it being illegal, maybe. But I can say with some authority, most police officers would never give it a second glance.
The 3 marker lights in the center are ICC lights and required by DOT. It's also required in Pennsylvania and checked during the state safety inspection. No maybe about it. Lol

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
The 3 marker lights in the center are ICC lights and required by DOT. It's also required in Pennsylvania and checked during the state safety inspection. No maybe about it. Lol

Earl
Yep, I believe the same about the inspection here in good ole' NY State. That is why I drilled a 11/16" hole in between the ICC lights and installed a grommet for that hole along with heat shrink and then mounted the camera just below that. Quick, neat job.