Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #11

window

If you are in Pasco, Washington, the 5th wheel has already had a 2000 mile highway shake-down during delivery from the Indiana plant. I vote for impact.

2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #12

The dealership hasn't given us their final determination with their thoughts on the cause of the breakage, yet. The general mgr. indicated it might have been a heat issue (?) and would in that case most likely be covered by warranty. So we play the waiting game in the meantime. Thank you all that offered your input. It has been much appreciated!

Swash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #13

Wink I would swear it was Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swash View Post
The dealership hasn't given us their final determination with their thoughts on the cause of the breakage, yet. The general mgr. indicated it might have been a heat issue (?) and would in that case most likely be covered by warranty. So we play the waiting game in the meantime. Thank you all that offered your input. It has been much appreciated!
I would insist it was heat related and should be covered. A hot rock from the highway is related to heat!

Seriously the glass could have been cut too large for the opening and forced into the gasket placing extra tension on it. If this was the case added heat and flex from traveling on the road would have made it shatter. I have seen glaziers do this force the glass into the gasket. They can cut the glass to size before it is tempered, afterwards if they cut it it will break.

I have also seen window openings that were cut to small and the glass guys force the window into the gasket. This is a common defect on mass produced fiberglass panels.

Good luck with it! I'd stay on the dealer and insist this was a defect, especially on a new trailer.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doboy Dawg View Post
I would insist it was heat related and should be covered. A hot rock from the highway is related to heat!

Seriously the glass could have been cut too large for the opening and forced into the gasket placing extra tension on it. If this was the case added heat and flex from traveling on the road would have made it shatter. I have seen glaziers do this force the glass into the gasket. They can cut the glass to size before it is tempered, afterwards if they cut it it will break.

I have also seen window openings that were cut to small and the glass guys force the window into the gasket. This is a common defect on mass produced fiberglass panels.

Good luck with it! I'd stay on the dealer and insist this was a defect, especially on a new trailer.
But OP has "frameless" windows. The windows are actually mounted ON TOP of the frame, none of the forces you mention apply. And the breakage clearly all comes from the center of the window, evidenced by the glass around the perimeter being relatively intact.

No, I think "heat" breakage of this window is highly unlikely. Given two possible explanations, the simplest one is usually the best.

That being said, if the dealer can make a claim to Jayco based on "heat breakage" and they'll cover it? Well, obviously that's better than making an insurance claim.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #15

I had the small side door window of my conversion van get blown out at highway speeds- my kid happened to see the rock take a bounce from a car ahead of us and curve right in. It happens. Had the window not been secured properly it would usually suck the whole glass out- I had that happen once when the glass installer didn't put in the locking strip after installing a new side window.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #16

We definitely appreciate all of you that took time to offer feedback through this forum! We are still waiting for a final answer but it is still sounding like they are calling it a heat issue. We should know more tomorrow. Hoping this was just a fluke occurrence and from here on out only smooth sailing with our beautiful new fifth wheel!
Swash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:14 AM   #17

Cool Frameless window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
But OP has "frameless" windows. The windows are actually mounted ON TOP of the frame, none of the forces you mention apply. And the breakage clearly all comes from the center of the window, evidenced by the glass around the perimeter being relatively intact.

No, I think "heat" breakage of this window is highly unlikely. Given two possible explanations, the simplest one is usually the best.

That being said, if the dealer can make a claim to Jayco based on "heat breakage" and they'll cover it? Well, obviously that's better than making an insurance claim.
A frame less window still has a window opening and a rubber gasket, unless it is glued in like auto windshield glass and yes it still is exposed to torsion and flex traveling down the road, myth busted.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doboy Dawg View Post
A frame less window still has a window opening and a rubber gasket, unless it is glued in like auto windshield glass and yes it still is exposed to torsion and flex traveling down the road, myth busted.
Still, and again, given two explanations, the simplest one is the most likely. Your explanation seems to be much less likely. Most situations like this are the result of flying debris; thus a much more likely explanation, even if I'm wrong about the window's ability to be flexed and broken.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but IMO it is less likely.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #19

Our rear window was so bound it wouldn't open or close. I can see how that with a bumped in the road would fracture the glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 CC 4WD
2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #20

Do you like you frameless window ? I had the choice at one time and I decided to go with the regular window...I m always prudent with new stuff

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote