Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

Bad end to our first outing in 412w

We were very much enjoying our first trip out in our 412w such a beautiful 5th wheel inside and out and very comfortable for our family. All was going smoothly until we were driving down the freeway only 15 min from our home when my husband noticed something flying off the side of the trailer. Pulled off the road immediately to find that the window above the couch had completely shattered leaving a large jagged gaping hole and shards of glass all over the interior. Called the dealership immediately and their first reaction was "well something must've hit it." We do not believe something hit it while we were driving down the freeway. At that point, we drove it very slowly straight to the dealership but the blinds got trashed in the process as they flapped in and out of the jagged hole. There wasn't a manager available but the sales people we spoke to weren't sure if something like this would be warrantied. THIS WAS OUR FIRST TIME OUT, I reminded them! Has anyone on this forum heard of or experienced something like this? If so please share your advice. Thanks for reading.
Swash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #2

Not to the trailer, but my dad had that happen to his truck just a few weeks ago. He was a few miles from home after a weekend at the lake and something struck his driver-side window and it broke and shattered all over him. At highway speed. I'm thinking he needed some new britches along with a new window. Something hit the window and it broke.

It is VERY possible something got thrown up and broke the window. In which case, I would not expect warranty coverage. Perhaps insurance coverage though?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #3

I saw a deer jump over a 5 foot median barrier one time and landed right in the drivers side window of a pickup traveling at highway speed. The deer spun around on the road, eventually got up and hobbled off the side of the highway. Drivers side window was shattered. (So was the mirror).

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swash View Post
We were very much enjoying our first trip out in our 412w such a beautiful 5th wheel inside and out and very comfortable for our family. All was going smoothly until we were driving down the freeway only 15 min from our home when my husband noticed something flying off the side of the trailer. Pulled off the road immediately to find that the window above the couch had completely shattered leaving a large jagged gaping hole and shards of glass all over the interior. Called the dealership immediately and their first reaction was "well something must've hit it." We do not believe something hit it while we were driving down the freeway. At that point, we drove it very slowly straight to the dealership but the blinds got trashed in the process as they flapped in and out of the jagged hole. There wasn't a manager available but the sales people we spoke to weren't sure if something like this would be warrantied. THIS WAS OUR FIRST TIME OUT, I reminded them! Has anyone on this forum heard of or experienced something like this? If so please share your advice. Thanks for reading.

If there is a lot of glass shattered Inside, Something hit the window from the OUTSIDE. If there is no broken or very little glass on the inside, it most
likely came apart and fell off and the wind blew it completely off.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #5

Picture

Here is a picture from the outside. There was quite a bit of glass inside, but the blinds were pulled down, so I imagine the majority of the glass is still on the freeway. If something flew up and hit it, it flew up very high!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #6

In my opinion as a retired but trained accident investigator, something struck that window causing the damage. It is a more common occurrence then you think.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #7

I agree, something hit the window. Insurance claim.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
Site Team

I have had a number of windows and windshields broken from rocks and such. Insurance always pays for broken glass in our state if you have Comprehensive coverage.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Here is a picture from the outside. There was quite a bit of glass inside, but the blinds were pulled down, so I imagine the majority of the glass is still on the freeway. If something flew up and hit it, it flew up very high!
I've seen a crow bar fly 40 feet in the air on the highway. Someone left it on their bumper when they stopped and it fell off when they got up to speed. It hit the pavement at 70 mph and bounced around quite high. Luckily, it bounced harmlessly out into the shoulder and didn't hit anyone's vehicle. That could've killed someone quite easily.

My point is that the height of that window is irrelevant as far as flying debris on the highway goes. The forces at work on objects on the highway are considerable. If a rock is hit just right by a tire, it can do lots of damage and fly VERY far and VERY high, and VERY fast.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #10

On the other side of most of the others here. Tempered glass can break without being "hit". It may have stress from manufacturing or damage from install that's not even noticeable. But proving that in this case would be difficult at best. Probably better off with an insurance claim. Sorry for your mess with a new rig.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #11

window

If you are in Pasco, Washington, the 5th wheel has already had a 2000 mile highway shake-down during delivery from the Indiana plant. I vote for impact.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #12

The dealership hasn't given us their final determination with their thoughts on the cause of the breakage, yet. The general mgr. indicated it might have been a heat issue (?) and would in that case most likely be covered by warranty. So we play the waiting game in the meantime. Thank you all that offered your input. It has been much appreciated!
Old 07-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #13

Wink I would swear it was Heat

Quote:
The dealership hasn't given us their final determination with their thoughts on the cause of the breakage, yet. The general mgr. indicated it might have been a heat issue (?) and would in that case most likely be covered by warranty. So we play the waiting game in the meantime. Thank you all that offered your input. It has been much appreciated!
I would insist it was heat related and should be covered. A hot rock from the highway is related to heat!

Seriously the glass could have been cut too large for the opening and forced into the gasket placing extra tension on it. If this was the case added heat and flex from traveling on the road would have made it shatter. I have seen glaziers do this force the glass into the gasket. They can cut the glass to size before it is tempered, afterwards if they cut it it will break.

I have also seen window openings that were cut to small and the glass guys force the window into the gasket. This is a common defect on mass produced fiberglass panels.

Good luck with it! I'd stay on the dealer and insist this was a defect, especially on a new trailer.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doboy Dawg View Post
I would insist it was heat related and should be covered. A hot rock from the highway is related to heat!

Seriously the glass could have been cut too large for the opening and forced into the gasket placing extra tension on it. If this was the case added heat and flex from traveling on the road would have made it shatter. I have seen glaziers do this force the glass into the gasket. They can cut the glass to size before it is tempered, afterwards if they cut it it will break.

I have also seen window openings that were cut to small and the glass guys force the window into the gasket. This is a common defect on mass produced fiberglass panels.

Good luck with it! I'd stay on the dealer and insist this was a defect, especially on a new trailer.
But OP has "frameless" windows. The windows are actually mounted ON TOP of the frame, none of the forces you mention apply. And the breakage clearly all comes from the center of the window, evidenced by the glass around the perimeter being relatively intact.

No, I think "heat" breakage of this window is highly unlikely. Given two possible explanations, the simplest one is usually the best.

That being said, if the dealer can make a claim to Jayco based on "heat breakage" and they'll cover it? Well, obviously that's better than making an insurance claim.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #15

I had the small side door window of my conversion van get blown out at highway speeds- my kid happened to see the rock take a bounce from a car ahead of us and curve right in. It happens. Had the window not been secured properly it would usually suck the whole glass out- I had that happen once when the glass installer didn't put in the locking strip after installing a new side window.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #16

We definitely appreciate all of you that took time to offer feedback through this forum! We are still waiting for a final answer but it is still sounding like they are calling it a heat issue. We should know more tomorrow. Hoping this was just a fluke occurrence and from here on out only smooth sailing with our beautiful new fifth wheel!
Old 07-08-2016, 01:14 AM   #17

Cool Frameless window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
But OP has "frameless" windows. The windows are actually mounted ON TOP of the frame, none of the forces you mention apply. And the breakage clearly all comes from the center of the window, evidenced by the glass around the perimeter being relatively intact.

No, I think "heat" breakage of this window is highly unlikely. Given two possible explanations, the simplest one is usually the best.

That being said, if the dealer can make a claim to Jayco based on "heat breakage" and they'll cover it? Well, obviously that's better than making an insurance claim.
A frame less window still has a window opening and a rubber gasket, unless it is glued in like auto windshield glass and yes it still is exposed to torsion and flex traveling down the road, myth busted.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doboy Dawg View Post
A frame less window still has a window opening and a rubber gasket, unless it is glued in like auto windshield glass and yes it still is exposed to torsion and flex traveling down the road, myth busted.
Still, and again, given two explanations, the simplest one is the most likely. Your explanation seems to be much less likely. Most situations like this are the result of flying debris; thus a much more likely explanation, even if I'm wrong about the window's ability to be flexed and broken.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but IMO it is less likely.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #19

Our rear window was so bound it wouldn't open or close. I can see how that with a bumped in the road would fracture the glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 CC 4WD
2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #20

Do you like you frameless window ? I had the choice at one time and I decided to go with the regular window...I m always prudent with new stuff

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote