Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #1

Batteries

We have 2021 North Point 387RDFS about 2 months old. We are taking a trip and I noticed that when we are at are campsite plugged into 50 amp the batteries are giving off heat and there is a little port on the the side that emittes small puffs of smoke. Is this normal?
LMiyc44125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #2

I have not had this scenario, but doesn't sound normal. Sounds like they are cooking/over charging.

If they are lead acid, normal house batteries that RVs come with, have you checked the water level? Need to be filled with distilled water every so often. Careful not to overfill.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/expe...attery-smoking
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ailing-battery

I'd disconnect the battery till it cools down and you can check the water level.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:25 AM   #3

Batteries may have been very low on charge and they are taking the max charge rate. Yes, check the water.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:00 PM   #4

What you described is not normal, I would suspect either an overcharge situation or a bad battery(s). If you have a voltage meter that would be good to use and check the voltage.

CAUTION: Whenever you have a battery that is "gassing", that gas contains hydrogen and could cause a battery explosion by any spark or internal short in the battery. I have seen batteries explode, they don't do it like a big bomb (from what I have seen) but they do so with enough force to spray acid in your eyes and face. You need to have running water ready to go as if you get acid in your eyes you only have seconds before damage occurs, which also means that you need to wear goggles if you have them, if nothing else eyeglasses can help. ~CA
Old 05-16-2021, 12:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
What you described is not normal, I would suspect either an overcharge situation or a bad battery(s). If you have a voltage meter that would be good to use and check the voltage.

CAUTION: Whenever you have a battery that is "gassing", that gas contains hydrogen and could cause a battery explosion by any spark or internal short in the battery. I have seen batteries explode, they don't do it like a big bomb (from what I have seen) but they do so with enough force to spray acid in your eyes and face. You need to have running water ready to go as if you get acid in your eyes you only have seconds before damage occurs, which also means that you need to wear goggles if you have them, if nothing else eyeglasses can help. ~CA

X2. Shut the power down now and have your converter checked for charging voltage and you'll need new batteries because the acid is boiling.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #6

I've seen many guys with one eye blinded because of lead acid batteries. They stop to give someone a jump as a Good Samaritan and lose and eye in the process. Be careful!
EP&DP is offline   Reply With Quote