Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #1

Batteries and solar

2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
I have installed 2 Battleborn LIPo 100 amp batts. Installed Onan 5.5K genset and installed GoPower I/C 2000 Inverter/ Converter (turned off the factory converter circuit breaker)
Not really getting the battery life i was hoping for.
we run refrigerator on Propane when not plugged in.
We forgot to turn off the invertor one night and batts were almost dead.
I have ordered 2 more batteries from Battleborn, but Im thinking about the GoPower 570 watt solar package as well. we do a lot of boondocking in the southwest desert, so plugging in isn't always the best option for us.
Asking for any suggestions
Thank you in advance
Rick Finke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:58 PM   #2

I have 400 watts of solar and it appears to keep my 2 batteries up pretty well when I run my inverter all day powering my Direct TV setup. I also use a small inverter generator to keep the batteries up to full after dark if needed. Saves big generator run time. Love the setup.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Finke View Post
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
I have installed 2 Battleborn LIPo 100 amp batts. Installed Onan 5.5K genset and installed GoPower I/C 2000 Inverter/ Converter (turned off the factory converter circuit breaker)
Not really getting the battery life i was hoping for.
we run refrigerator on Propane when not plugged in.
We forgot to turn off the invertor one night and batts were almost dead.
I have ordered 2 more batteries from Battleborn, but Im thinking about the GoPower 570 watt solar package as well. we do a lot of boondocking in the southwest desert, so plugging in isn't always the best option for us.
Asking for any suggestions
Thank you in advance
How are you monitoring your battery bank and is your charger set up for Lithium? I don’t see a Lithium mode for that inverter/charger, did you do custom settings? You can use a regular charger with Battleborn but my experience is it never finishes charging. I switched to a lithium specific charger and now they charge all the way. Is it possible your batteries aren’t fully charging? I have a battery minder so I always know exactly how full the bank is.

I have 3 Battleborn batteries and 800 watts of solar, it works well for me as long as I don’t get too much shade. If I had to do it again I would probably go with 1,000 watts of solar.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #4

Scottenj is correct the lithium is charged at a higher voltage then lead acid. You must be cautious what you charge them with as a de-sulfite setting will damage the battery. I use the AGM profile on my boat charger and seem to get good not great performance.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:53 PM   #5

Check to make sure your fridge is actually running on propane and isn't switching over to AC power when you have the inverter running. Check to see how much draw you have with the inverter running. 2 Battleborn 100 Ah should only lose about 10% overnight if you leave the inverter running with no AC loads.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote