Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2019, 06:43 AM   #21

Reverse Polarity Fuse?

We went on a trip recently and had a similar problem. Our battery would die fairly quickly. We were camping with friends who had a camper of their own so we would swap out batteries every six hours or so, using their camper to charge the depleted battery.

I assumed the worst, a bad inverter or something. After several days of trying to figure it out, I noticed there were two fuses hidden behind the plastic cover in my inverter/fuse box which could not be seen through the fuse box door. One of which was designed to protect (blow out) should anyone inadvertently hook up the battery incorrectly (reverse polarity) which I had done for a brief second prior to our departure.

I located the proper fuse and plugged it in and all is well! You can't beat a ten cent fix.
jconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconner View Post
We went on a trip recently and had a similar problem. Our battery would die fairly quickly. We were camping with friends who had a camper of their own so we would swap out batteries every six hours or so, using their camper to charge the depleted battery.
Two things that jump out at me.

If you depleted those batteries, and ran them down to dead (below 11 volts), they are probably toast, and won't hold an extended charge anymore. These batteries can't take that repeated beating and expect to live. I think I see new batteries in your near future.......

Second, everyone, Everyone, EVERYONE (did I say Everyone) should have a digital voltmeter in their tool box and readily available (and know how to use it). A voltmeter can tell you INSTANTLY what's going on with your batteries and charging system, coach power, etc. and help start the detective process to find and fix the issue.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Two things that jump out at me.

If you depleted those batteries, and ran them down to dead (below 11 volts), they are probably toast, and won't hold an extended charge anymore. These batteries can't take that repeated beating and expect to live. I think I see new batteries in your near future.......

Second, everyone, Everyone, EVERYONE (did I say Everyone) should have a digital voltmeter in their tool box and readily available (and know how to use it). A voltmeter can tell you INSTANTLY what's going on with your batteries and charging system, coach power, etc. and help start the detective process to find and fix the issue.
Its amazing & amusing how many electrical, battery, & AC problems get posted by folks with no meter. I carry a clamp on ammeter/voltmeter/ohmmeter that will also do D.C. Amps. You don't need to be an electrical engineer as most bookstores have some basic electricity books that are easy to understand so a DYI can do basic tests.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #24

Not starting anything.

Every week I have to explain to Electrical Engineers and Electrians how to use a digital meters out in the field.

The battery in a RV has more energy and less protection then a wall plug in your house.

Not everyone can understand simple, my wife tells me I'm one of them.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote